Teaching, Stress & MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teaching, Stress & MS

Hello, I hope you guys don't mind me posting on this board. But I just read a post from 2010.(haven't been here in a while) That was discussing stress and teaching.

I am a substitute teacher.I have been doing it for the last 10yrs.,but it's starting to get very stressful for me. I substitute in a mddle school 5-8 grade. I was a hairdresser for 10 years b/f then.

I am thinking about quitting and applying for SSDI. My husband really wants me to let it go. He feels I don't need the stress of it all. He wants me to focus on my well being and not the money.

I only work part time. But just going in for those 2-3 days is so frustrating and exahusting! I have some cognitive issues that seem to be getting worse and alot of times I can't even do the 5th grade work The daily stress of going into the unknown doesn't help either and I feel that each year they expect more of us as subs that I'm just not measuring up to.

Anyway thanks for reading. You guys (Teachers) are the best and you ARE appreciated.

God Bless,
    Meissie

I substituted for about three years before I got my diagnosis. I only got my diagnosis after I was hired to teach high school full time and got insurance (I turned down middle school assignments while subbing, so kudos to you for subbing that grade). I taught for six years quickly transitioning from walking on my own to an occasional cane, then full-time cane, and finally a walker. In August, I wanted to go on disability, but when I brought it up to my neuro's partner after I lost feeling in the lower left part of my face, he didn't seem to receive that idea well. When I saw my neuro during a regular appt in October (on a Monday), he said it was time to look at disability. The next day, I had an accident at work (luckily, no kids were around). That Friday was my last day. I thought I would miss it, rather I realized just how tired I was. I haven't had a headache since. Paperwork is filed, I had the doctor appt last week, I'm receiving retirement from the state, and I don't regret leaving. I know this is a long response, but if you're tired and having cognitive issues, might be the right time before something more serious develops. Hope that this helps .
    Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Substitutes make the world go round! When my husband got layed off, he became my sub... )

You used words like: stress (4 times), frustrating, exhausting, cognitive issues getting worse, the unknown, increased expectations, not measuring up... I teach 7th and 8th grades, so I "get" all of that!! Times like that, I make myself a list of the benefits I get from the job and the things that take away from me and my well-being - the process of thinking it through like that and writing them down really helps me to clarify and feel [more] confident in the choice I make.

It sounds like your husband is giving you permission to stop teaching. Sometimes, it's easier to make a decision when you can "blame" it on someone else... "my husband won't let me..." Has this situation placed any stresses on him or on your relationship?

It sounds like you've poured yourself into your teaching! You have to be selfish at this point though... know what I mean? ;o)

sherill

Comment

Air Conditioning

I think that I will have to break down and admit that I will need some help this year. My classroom does not have an air conditioner and I have had relapses due to heat. ANy of you ever asked for an air conditioner because of your MS?

Comment

I had air conditioning that was always broken at the beginning of the year--the hottest time in Tucson. I came close to throwing a fit. You can ask for reasonable accommodations. Talk to your principal, but go to the meeting "armed" with a note from your doctor and a couple of articles about heat and MS. Perhaps they can provide a window A/C unit, but I can't believe your school doesn't have central air.
          Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Air Conditioning

Hi all! Just found this thread and thought I would put in my two cents. I've had MS since 1978 and have been teaching since the late 90s. I currently teach 8th grade US History. I have never had air conditioning in my classroom! CT can get really warm so I have two box fans going all the time and a small personal fan on my desk. I didn't know that a teacher
            could have a 504 plan!

Comment

Working...
            X