I'm back and sorry I've been gone too long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm back and sorry I've been gone too long

I was diagnosed in 2000, but have had MS since 1966 when I was 16. It took research and understanding this disease before they actually said the words Multiple Sclerosis to me (do I have that spelled right).

The Doctor in Tampa Fl. that I finally connected with got hold of all of my medical records from 2000 to 1966 and found my first episode with MS was in high school when I had bad trouble swallowing and was always very tired. this problem cleared up in a month and did not return.(it was not Mono).

In 1987 my legs went numb and my balance was bad. That also cleared completely in about 6 months. I moved from Maryland to Florida in 1990 with no bad effects until 1997 when my legs went numb and tingling again. These last problems are still with me and I have learned to live with the numbness, lethargy, and sometimes double vision.

It seems now that I am in secondary progressive MS. I am now 63 and still hanging in there. If the doctors in Maryland had caught this in the R/R stage in 1987 it might not have returned (wishful thinking). My problems are now dealing with a husband with first stage Alzheimer's, and trying to do everything by myself and not get too tired. Does anyone have any helpful hints?

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi beanbag and welcome to MSWorld! It's nice to meet you

You have had MS for quite awhile now! You and I are about the same age and in the SP stage as well. My symptoms started in the '80's. I also have wondered if I was diagnosed earlier and on a treatment plan, if I'd be better off today. ?? It is what it is, though and I try not to look back.

I'm sorry that your husband's health is declining. Have you contacted the MS Society of Canada to see if you could get some help? Try calling the toll free # to reach the nearest regional office: 1 800 268-7582 and explain your situation.

Here is another site that may be of help http://www.pwd-online.ca/pwdhome.jsp Persons with Disabilities

Keep in touch and stay well!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

MS in the 1980's

Looking back I had my first actual MS attack in 1987. Before that I had had an small attack in 1966, but never knew what it was that I had for 2 weeks, doctor figured it out in 2000 after reading med. records.

The attack in 1987 left me with numbness and tingling in my feet and legs for 6 months, I never went to doctor.( Still young and dumb)

My next exacerbation was in 1997 and it left the damage behind and I have numbness and tingling all the time in my feet and legs now.This was where it went from R/R to SP because it still is going on.

I was finally diagnosed in 2000. I am 63 and some damage is just because of age now. I am still taking meds. including Copaxone but don't think it has done anything in years to help.

Comment

Working...
      X