Where do we start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do we start?

I am Derek Armstrong. I am maried to a wonderful Texan lady who has, this week, been diagnosed with M.S.. Our early (limited) reading indicates the plural forms of desease progression.

My question is this: How does one determine which form of the desease one has? Is it a case of journalling and analysing over time to determine periods of remission/flare up or can a revision of a person's history indicate which form is present.

The diagnostic difficulty for my wife is that MRIs are not available due to the presence of a neuro stimulator implant.

She presents a growing body of symptoms including: chronic fatique, chronic back/limb/digit pain, intermittant double vision (side/side), numbness to right leg/foot, slurred speech, problematic swallowing, gross/fine motor disfunction, difficulty focussing on tasks/conversations.

Her neurologist has given us an information pack for Avonex , and we have another appointment in two weeks to discuss this injectable therapy.

Any pointers?

No one could expect you to figure out the diagnosis. A neurologist has that job. You need to present the doctor all of the information that you can.
    I was dx'd with PPMS because my neurologist used all of his tests and came up with the dx by excluding all of the other possibilities. Unless you have this specialized education (neurology), you will have to rely on your doctor's opinion. I would get several opinions from 2 or 3 neurologists.
    The fact that your neurologist wants you to try Avonex leads me to believe that her dx is RRRMS, the most common form. All of the drugs that are, currently, on the market have been created and tested for 'relapsing' forms of MS. Good luck

Comment

I would look into all the possibilities drug wise. Avonex is an intramuscular so the needle is long......but it is only once a week. There are several other self injected drugs but there a several pills now too. There is a board here for each drug available with lots of info and opinions. Best of luck!
      dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

My neuro waited a year after my diagnosis before labeling me RRMS.
        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Working...
        X