Gilenya price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilenya price

Novartis has announced their wholesale price for the newly-approved oral MS drug, Gilenya (aka Fingolimod).

$4,000/month or about $48,000/year

Copaxone: $39,928/year
    Rebif: $36,825/year
    Betaseron: $34,980/year
    Avonex: $34,667/year
    skeezix
    dx. rrms Nov/09. Not using DMD's.
    Life is too short to wear boring socks.

is that american dollars? or peso's o my

Comment

Thanks for the price info. I was really hoping it would be some ridiculous, absurd price, like all the other meds! Wouldn't want the drug companies to starve.( Sorry, just being my usual cynical self)-MIKE
      Dream like you will live forever, Live like you will die today.

Comment

I suppose the big question is whether the insurers, including Medicare, will cover it. If the cover it and have a reasonable co-pay, no problem for the insured.

If they don't cover it, if they have a 25% co-pay, or if you don't have insurance, too bad.

I seem to recall a lot of verbiage about how there would be programs to "help" those who can't afford it. We'' see if the company puts its money where its mouth is. That hasn't helped me in the past, since I work and earn a living, the Copaxone people just said "Well you can pay the 25% copay. Um, no I can't, that's $800 per month.

Just another drug we can't afford doesn't really help much.

Comment

The price seems absurd considering it is just a remake of an existing drug. Same with Ampyra. It all boils down to greed and a total lack of emphathy of big Pharma.
          You only live NOW.
          SX 1999 /DX 2003
          norml.org

Comment

Sadly, Novartis makes my insulin too And to think I actually put a bit of faith in them to do good for this...oh well

Comment

they can keep it as far as I am concerned. I take Rebif and I have been so annoyed that they can charge so much for a drug that may or may not work to reduce flares by 30%. If I had a headache I wouldn't pay a penny for something that would help only 30%....it is all greed.

Comment

I had just found an article on the Internet about the price. It seems like the price is inline with the rest of the MS meds. I don't know why Copaxone wouldn't help with the high copay. I work and have insurance too and MSLifelines helped my with my copay when it was 20% which amounted to about $400/month. Thankfully this year I only have a $50 copay. We'll have to see what happens for next year with the new "healthcare reform" being in place.

Comment

It's no surprise that the cost of insurance/medicare is so outrageous. When I stopped taking copaxone in 2001 it cost @ $15,000 a year. I don't know how the cost of the DMDs that have been on the market for over 15yrs can more than double! How can they justify that?

Consumer Reports documents a huge back-log of generic drugs waiting FDA approval, but they don't have the employees to speed the process. How stupid is that? I suppose if drug companies weren't allowed to finance elections, something might get done about these problems.

Comment

My expectation with Medco / Accredo is they will consider it non plan preferred just as they do with Ampyra and the copay for me is $100... I just can't wait to see what hoops they make us jump through to get them to fill the prescription. I think I will wait a while to fight this battle with them, not sure if I can take it.
                    Falling down is easy... getting up not so much

Comment

lori
                      Yea they really raised the cost of copaxone when they make it come in pre-filled instead of mixing it. It would have stayed cheeper if they kept it-the old way. the greedy greedy companys.

Comment

Rebif Price

Skeezix have you heard anyone else say the prices have gone up. My rebif is up to 3,317.00 U.S. dollars a month
                        that means 39,804.00 a year.

Compared to when I started on it in Jan. 2003 at 1,500.00 a month or 18,000.00 a year. That is more than double I kinda agree with the plain fact the pharmacies are getting rich.

In alot of our cases we need these meds. so we have to pay out of pocket or co-pay.

I have to look at in a positive way that it gives me more time to do things with my grandchildren before I get where I can't.

To the person that said 30 percent slowing is not worth it.
                        I am sorry you feel that way but for me any percentage is better than still being in a wheel chair.

Yall take care, Hugs for everyone, and GOD BLESS !!

Comment

Originally posted by Grace View Post
                          My expectation with Medco / Accredo is they will consider it non plan preferred just as they do with Ampyra and the copay for me is $100... I just can't wait to see what hoops they make us jump through to get them to fill the prescription. I think I will wait a while to fight this battle with them, not sure if I can take it.
                          I am riding the Medco / Accredo bus, too. I've been on Avonex for four years. While it "seems" to be working as advertised, I have endured a miserable four years of having the flu for 36 hours each week.

Novartis and Payors, please don't jerk us around. Make this a legitimate medication, so we can give you our business, and we can benefit from it.

Comment

if you ever look at your explanation from the ins company, thr drs and pharmacies take (and accept it) a much lower price as payment in full. but when meeting a deductable ammount, they expect the full ammount. how is that justified?

dave
                            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                            volunteer
                            MS World
                            hunterd@msworld.org
                            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

ORAL DRUG FINALLY

I must say, I am very hopeful about Gilenya and pray that this will help many of us with MS. The cost to us is the ridiculous part but the manufacturer has gone through a lot to make this available to us. Does it justify the cost? Maybe, if it works. If my Neuro was able to get my Medical group to approve the oral drug my co-pay would be $50.00. That is not my problem, the problem is my monthly fee to have health insurance in the first place. But cant be without it so poor husband continues to have to work.

Comment

Working...
                              X