First time on IV Steroids-help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time on IV Steroids-help!

This was my first time on IV Steroids. My Dr wanted me to do a 5 day therapy in hopes of lessening some symptoms (haven't been officially diagnosed yet). I had no idea what to expect. The side effects started immediately and were very harsh. I had my last IV on Friday and today is Monday so I thought I would start feeling "normal" again by now.

When I finished the last IV my side effects got worse and more numerous. I have done some reading and think this may be a "crash"? I am so out of it, heart palpitations, pain, trouble breathing, pressure in my head, dizzy, exhausted beyond belief, nauseous, and so many others. I feel like I am not really here and my body is dying.

I have had to go through withdrawal many years ago off some meds and it feels very similar, but worse. I don't know if I should go to the ER or if they could even do anything for me. I have heard that you usually get a taper steroid, but I didn't get any. Will this eventually get out of my system on it's own? I am starting to get worried with my heart feeling like it is pounding out of my chest. I can't do anything or go anywhere. I can barely walk from one room to another. Any advice would be most helpful. TIA

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

I had a steroid crash in May...felt like I had a Mack Truck hit me. Not everyone gets them., but since this was your first time on IVSM, I am surprised they did not taper you.

The part that does not sound like a crash is the heart palpitations and trouble breathing...but that can happen from the steroids themselves. Personally, I would call your Neuro's after duty phone number or go to the ER. I think someone needs to check you out.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Capecupcake,

Sorry to hear of this reaction you got from IV steroids.

I agree with KatieAgain and call your Neuro doctor today and tell him or her what is going on. Yes, heart palpitations and trouble breathing is not good.

I had IV steroid injections a few times now for MS relapses and did not have these reactions except a dry mouth and more energy, which was a good thing, but we all react differently to things, so please get checked out!

Take care, Nikki
      Nikki

Comment

Just spoke with my Dr. He is calling in a taper steroid to help me get through this easier.

I do feel a bit better today though. I took a Lorazapam (anti-anxiety) this morning and I think that really helped.

Comment

I forgot to ask about all of these weird bumps in odd places. They seem to be fluid filled and are on my head, behind my ears, on my backside and my female private place. I am assuming they are from the steroids. Has anyone had this?

Comment

It must be scary to go through it for the first time. I have a really hard time with iv steroids. I feel absolutely horrible and for me it usually lasts for about 10 days.

The symptoms you are describing sound very similar to my experience. I also get crazy anxiety from them which causes me to feel short of breath.

It is always a good idea to go in and get checked out just to make yourself feel better if nothing else. I have also learned to keep a very detailed journal during the crash. When I have had to go on them again, it was very useful to look back and realize it follows a very definite pattern for me. It allows me to say "This is normal for me on steroids."

All the best to you. This too will pass. ((Hugs))
            Diagnosed 2000 RRMS. Copaxone 2000 - 2010 Rebif 2010 - 2013 Copaxone 2013 - 2014 Tecfidera October 2014
            "You can't appreciate the good days without the bad ones."

Comment

I only had one time where my Dr. prescribed 5 days, and I was almost in tears by the 5th day. Three is a whole lot easier to deal with! If you are not officially dx, that is a LOT to take on...

Many people taper with Prednisone, but I never did because I couldn't stand the water swooshing in my legs as I walked.

I hope you are feeling better soon!!
              Brooke

Comment

Working...
              X