Diazepam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diazepam

Does anyone else take Diazepam for muscle spasms? My doctor prescribed 2mg taken at bedtime. I think it helps some. It also helps me sleep. I was just wondering if anyone else is taking it and at what dosage? I also take Tecfidera and Nuvigil.

Hi day1,

I think there are better choices for you than Diazapam, especially if that's all you've ever tried for spasticity.

From the National MS Society:

"Diazepam (Valium®) is not a "first choice" drug for spasticity because it is sedating and has a potential to create dependence. However, its effects last longer with each dose than baclofen, and physicians may prescribe small doses of at bedtime to relieve spasms that interfere with sleep.". First choice medications for spasticity are Baclofen and Tizanidine. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...oms/Spasticity

2 mg of Diazapam is still considered a small dose, but besides dependence, another thing you should be aware of is possibly developing a tolerance to it. Then it won't work as well anymore at that dose.

I think it would be worth a talk with your neuro to find out more about Baclofen and Tizanidine.

Good luck!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Baclofen doesn't always work

At least for me, which is kind of weird because it seems to be the "go to drug" for spasms. I had no spasm relief and only the side effect of uncontrollable urination, which according to my research affects 6% of women.

I take 10mg of Diazepam 4x a day, for me it does help somewhat with spasms and it helps with stress plus no added side effects.

Peace,
      Anna

Comment

I take 2mg of Diazepam for dizziness. I take Flexiril at bedtime for muscle spasms and cramping. I take nothing for spasticity as nothing seems to work. If it gets to bad I take a 1 my Xanax. Believe it not that does help some.
        Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
        Babe Ruth

Comment

I always find it a bit weird (no disrespect Kimba, 'cos what you say is absolutely true) that doctors worry about dependency on benzos.
          Why not? We're taking every other kind of drug. At least Valium works. Yep, reduces anxiety, yep lets you sleep.

The Aubagio I'm taking, I read in the fine print, causes thyroid disorders in 25% of people. So that's why my fingernails are breaking all the time and I am like a half-starved greyhound.

Talking to my old friend today. She has terrible arthritis. She's on OxyContin, but the doctor is worried she's becoming dependent, and wants her to go back to plain old paracetamol.

"I don't know what I'm going to do. People who don't have pain don't know what it is like. The OxyContin only works for a few hours."

I suggested morphine patches. She said she'd never smoked in her life, but she was going to get some 'yaarndi' (marijuana) and give that a go. Brownies, not joints.

She sat there and she was crying. "I don't want to break the law."

Comment

I take 10mg before bed for muscle spasms and sleep for at least 10yrs.

Comment

It's okay to fill our bodies with laboratory-created pharmaceuticals, with a long list of side effects (some are dangerous) as long as it is legal and approved, but heaven forbid if we want to use something that grows from the ground. just the way I see it.

Anyway, I use baclofen, though I really don't feel it works that well. I take the most at night. For me it just takes the edge off. I do a lot of stretching throughout the day. I have diazepam, but it tends to knock me out so I take it at night when I need it. I would love to try diazepam during the day but I'd hate to be sleepy.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbit View Post
                At least for me, which is kind of weird because it seems to be the "go to drug" for spasms. I had no spasm relief and only the side effect of uncontrollable urination, which according to my research affects 6% of women.

I take 10mg of Diazepam 4x a day, for me it does help somewhat with spasms and it helps with stress plus no added side effects.

Peace,
                Anna
                I am a man but similar experience with baclofen.

I was on 5 mg of diazepam 3x a day for five years.
                Switched to mmj a decade ago...works pretty good.

Do what works for you and don't be afraid to tell your Dr. what works or what you want. Take care of yourself.

As far as the dependence question???
                What is the difference?
                Been on Avonex for ten years, Copaxone for a year...am I not dependent on them?

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post

As far as the dependence question???
                  What is the difference?
                  Been on Avonex for ten years, Copaxone for a year...am I not dependent on them?

Tommylee,

Dependence is when the body adapts to a drug, causing one to experience withdrawal symotoms when it's abruptly discontinued. This can happen with certain drugs, like benzodiazapines and narcotics.

You might be "dependent on a drug" to keep a disease under control, such as insulin if you are a diabetic, but that's not the same thing as "developing a dependence" to a drug. It can be confusing, but it's not the same thing. It doesn't happen with many drugs, including the DMT's. But that's why controlled drugs are classified under different schedules. http://www.justice.gov/dea/druginfo/ds.shtml

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7841856

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publication...cal-dependence

Hope this info helps. Great question, though!
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

MiSunderstood I read about that association between benzo's and Alzheimer's today and thought 'cr@p'. :eek

I take Baclofen during the day like you and Clonazepam 0.5mg at night. Tiny dose but enough to get me asleep, stop the Restless legs, and wake up able to move without too much pain.

What to do? Without Clonazepam I just do not sleep.
                    Is there a non-benzo alternative?

Comment

Originally posted by Guzzy View Post
                      MiSunderstood I read about that association between benzo's and Alzheimer's today and thought 'cr@p'. :eek

I take Baclofen during the day like you and Clonazepam 0.5mg at night. Tiny dose but enough to get me asleep, stop the Restless legs, and wake up able to move without too much pain.

What to do? Without Clonazepam I just do not sleep.
                      Is there a non-benzo alternative?
                      I am also prescribed Clonazepam but have found mmj works just as well to stop restless legs help me sleep and wake up refreshed.

If you are in a mmj state it's worth a shot if you are not in a mmj state I would never recommend breaking the law.

Edibles are much better than smoking if you are going to try it.
                      Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

I am also prescribed Clonazepam but have found mmj works just as well to stop restless legs help me sleep and wake up refreshad.

If you are in a mmj state it's worth a shot if you are not in a mmj state I would never recommend breaking the law.

Edibles are much better than smoking if you are going to try it.
                        Thanks TaoWarrior.
                        I think things are in process in Ireland to change the law to allow for Sativex, but pure MJ still carries possession etc. I don't think that bothers me that much!! Don't mind being a poster-woman for change. I have a neuro appt in November so I'll definitely ask to switch to Sativex then.

The less problems I have stacking up for old age, the better!

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
                          Tommylee,

Dependence is when the body adapts to a drug, causing one to experience withdrawal symotoms when it's abruptly discontinued. This can happen with certain drugs, like benzodiazapines and narcotics.

You might be "dependent on a drug" to keep a disease under control, such as insulin if you are a diabetic, but that's not the same thing as "developing a dependence" to a drug. It can be confusing, but it's not the same thing. It doesn't happen with many drugs, including the DMT's. But that's why controlled drugs are classified under different schedules. http://www.justice.gov/dea/druginfo/ds.shtml

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7841856

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publication...cal-dependence

Hope this info helps. Great question, though!
                          Thanks but you missed my point.
                          Just because I do not go thru physical withdrawal if I stop my mmj does not mean I do not depend on it to be a productive person.

My thought is; If a drug actually works and gives you a better life, what does it matter? Just do not run out of meds.

I was on diazepam for many years... quit when it became less effective. No problems.
                          Just one mans experience not a study.

Comment

Working...
                          X