Abdominal muscle spasm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abdominal muscle spasm?

Have you ever had a muscle spasm in an abdominal muscle? I had one this afternoon and felt like I was going to die! It hurt so bad I could hardly move! It was like a Charlie horse, but in my abdomen. I've had a couple of these before, but it's been a couple of years ago. I was able to stretch it out when I finally could stand up by arching my back, but ouch, that hurt!!! The muscle twitched for a few minutes afterwards too. Looked like a baby kicking in there! Weird and extremely painful!!

(Oh, and if you're wondering why I'm not at my schedule sleep study, it's because I rescheduled it for next Wednesday. I have too much to do before Christmas to go tonight!)
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Hi Shashi, I have had that stomach spasm, it hit really bad when I had a relapse this fall. It was horrible, you are right, you can't move or breathe. I don't know if it's a modified hug or just a new fresh form of torture. Good luck I hope it's done with you and gone away now.

Debbie

Comment

I had one of those on the way to the neuro's office last year. I thought about pulling over, but didn't have time so decided to pant my way through it and keep driving. It wasn't as bad as the last bunch of diaphragm spasms, but I probably should have pulled off the road. They are both now letting me know they're still there by giving a little squeeze every now and then.
      I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Yeah, my ribs on the left are trying to spasm up too, but I'm ignoring them. That's the side where the hug normally starts. My left leg has been giving me grief too. Guess I need to up my baclofen a bit.

That abdominal spasm was horrible though. Felt like someone took a knife and was slicing me open. Ouch!! No more of that, please!
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I've had them too and yes, they are painful! I get them most often when the hug is acting up. Not fun.

I hope you start feeling better.

Comment

Yes. Not a sensation you can brush off easily. Nope. Not gonna happen. When the diaphragm spasms hit last time, upping the baclofen helped take the edge off - the edge being enough pain to make my skin spit out sweat! It erased the sweat. LOL Well, I guess it did help some. It calmed them down enough that I drifted off to sleep during the next cycle. I hope it works for you.

My leg is tightening up too, and I've not seen this pain in quite some time - like six months or better. And the vision is blurring almost all day, and the fatigue is coming back. All I want to know is why the week before Christmas? Whiiiiinnnnneee! I've been ice packing away today and it seems to be having somewhat of an impact. Shame on me for skipping that over the weekend.

I hope you get it under control and have a wonderful holiday, Shashi. Many hugs. Very gentle hugs.

Comment

I have been getting the diaphragm spasms for the last 2-3 weeks now. this is totally new to me and is happening for hours every single day.
              It is so horribly painful I can't stand up straight and can hardly breathe. I can only take very shallow breaths.
              It got so bad 2 days ago I was ready to haul myself into Urgent Care just to get something for it and I was on the phone with my ex husband crying like a baby.I do not have any meds for these spasms yet. I will surely talk to the Dr about it on my next visit. That is a horrible pain.
              DX 10/26/11

Comment

Val, that was my experience with them too - too painful to stand up. I managed to get down the stairs for a glass of water and baclofen, but once I got there, couldn't stand up long enough to get the pill out of the bottle or wait for the glass to fill. I also couldn't stand back up without help. Curling up in a ball doesn't help, stretching makes it worse. Hubs had to get them for me and once he did, it was very difficult to get the med down with some water because of the pain and the breathing, etc.

I had one of these while in the hospital after gallbladder surgery. The nurse got cranky with me, telling me to breathe slower. I kept telling her I couldn't. She kept insisting that I do. Oh yes. I couldn't wait to leave that place.

Comment

i get them sometimes in the left side of the abdominal muscles, i am in a wheelchair and sometimes when i lean over to reach to the ground for anything, it will trigger these muscless to simply lock up. thankfully it is not frequent but it hurts a great deal! like you i can usually stretch them out but it takes very little for the muscle to just lock up again for several hours! very unpleasant

Comment

Originally posted by jumpinjiminy View Post
                    I hope you get it under control and have a wonderful holiday, Shashi. Many hugs. Very gentle hugs.
                    Thanks, and you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year too.

I'm actually running around in the kitchen like a chicken with my head cut off. I've done two loads of laundry and hung them up, baked the second of two cheesecakes (made the other one last night), made peppermint bark, wrapped the last two gifts, and in about twenty minutes, after this rest break is over, I've got to make a ham salad and five-layer bars.

Why do I do this to myself every year? Next year, I am not volunteering to make anything! It's time to pass the torch (and the recipes) on to my kids. I need a nap! (But I'm not going to get one today!)

Kinda glad Christmas is just once a year!

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
                      Thanks, and you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year too.

I'm actually running around in the kitchen like a chicken with my head cut off. I've done two loads of laundry and hung them up, baked the second of two cheesecakes (made the other one last night), made peppermint bark, wrapped the last two gifts, and in about twenty minutes, after this rest break is over, I've got to make a ham salad and five-layer bars.

Why do I do this to myself every year? Next year, I am not volunteering to make anything! It's time to pass the torch (and the recipes) on to my kids. I need a nap! (But I'm not going to get one today!)

Kinda glad Christmas is just once a year!
                      LOL! I hear you loud and clear! Same thing here. Haven't even gotten anything wrapped yet. All that's left to make is the apple salad. I never did get any fudge or cookies made. I do miss that. I just had to sit down because my back is tightening up. This morning did not start off well at all, but it's settling down some. It is going to be a long night. We still have the Santa bit to play. One of these days soon, our son will figure it out.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Comment

I'm having spasms in the sides of my diaphragm, the muscles I use to help hold the top half of me up, as well as to breathe--I am a belly breather.

I'm really wobbly tired, just drooping facial muscles and pins & needles all over my face & scalp.

Dunno, feel like a deflated balloon, plus drunklike fog.

Taking: Copaxone, nortriptyline, zyprexa, Synthroid, acetyl l-carnitine, B-12 sublingual, vitamin D-3, multi, calcium

Comment

Working...
                        X