I'm new too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new too

I guess I manage to do everything ***-backwards but nevermind, as I always say it isn't the path it's where you end up that counts.

I was diagnosed with MS 11/12/12. I posted on another subject dealing with medication as my doctor threw a bunch of drug literature at me and told me to pick one. I'm not much of one for relying on a drug companies literature so I did some online reading and decided I didn't like the options he gave me but have not had time to consult with him on what I would like to do.

Having said that what lead me to this road was an episode in late September, I was standing at my kitchen counter getting things ready for work and lost all strength in my left hand...and then my left leg...and I was fine in an hour. My mother was prone to having TIAs and I did not want to be a stroke statistic so I went to see my GP the same day. He ordered a battery of tests and then sent me to a neuroligist who in turn sent me for a spinal tap and the rest is history.

I do not know much about MS and a smart as my neurologist is he has all of the warmth of a snow pea so I guess I need to do some more reading on this malady (as he was no help) so I know the scope of what I could be in for.

I have been through a lot in my life; divorced twice, widowed once. Went through 10 years of heart disease with my late husband and Alzheimers with my late mother. I figured after care-taking for everyone else it would be my turn to enjoy life without any challenges but again I was wrong...go figure.

I come from a long line of fighters; mama had and survived ovarian cancer at a time verry few survived ovarian cancer. I have the same spirit which I hope will sustain me through this journey as well. In the mean time I am going to start going to the gym every day, knock my eating habits into a healthier mode and make a decision on treatment for this malady and hope for the best.

Kathy

Welcome to this board and to the MS community. We have a lot of info here. I suggest that you get serious about fighting this MonSter.
    Get your vitamin D, vitamin B-12 and magnesium levels tested through blood tests. Work on 'normalizing' them. Your doctors will NOT tell you this, but these are important, especially to those of us who have 'messed up' immune systems. This auto-immune disease story is still very much a 'mystery' to the medical world. I am not a doctor, but I have learned a lot on this 'crappy' adventure. Good luck

Comment

Hi kshloss and welcome! It's nice to meet you! I love your analogy of your neuro being as warm as a snow pea - lol. Never heard that one before, but I've had my share of them. I went to 4 before I found a real warm one!

You have gone through a lot in life and what shouts out to me is you know all about life's challenging conditions first hand. It should give you knowledge about your own journey with MS in that it's time for you for care-giving of yourself!! Sounds like you've got a good attitude. Along with good eating habits and exercise, you're on the right path. Plus, you've come to the right place for information!

Again, a warm welcome and take care!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Kathy

Glad you are posting here.

That's crazy that your doctor told you to pick a medication.

My former neurologist said something like that to me. I told him, "Look my head is so foggy I can't even remember a 1/4 of what you just said." He had told me about four? medications and asked me which one I thought I would like to try. How would I know? I had never heard of them. And I had been too tired since my hospitalization to read or research stuff on the internet.

As you can, just read, read, and read more. I found out about the book called Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis. It's an book that presents evidence regarding studies done on MS. The author presents non drug therapies and drug therapies.

I also read The First Year: Multiple Sclerosis: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed.

I also read two books by Montel Williams who has MS. One was about his journey with MS and the other was about his exercise regimen.

My cousin has MS and referred me to her neurologist. He is the head of the National MS society in our city. It's good to see a doctor who specializes in MS. If you call the National MS society chapter nearest to you maybe they can refer you to someone.

Karen
        Karen,
        Part time Registered Nurse
        Diagnosed 2012 just started Gilenya Jan. 12th, 2015. Formerly on Betaseron for two yrs

Comment

Working...
        X