Another hard luck story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another hard luck story

I worked so hard all my life in the comercial fishing busness with my dad and off seasons in construction. People would say he's going to kill himself.Really though, I don't think hard work hurt anybody but maybey I was a little too extreme. My dad passed in 02 and in 03 I fufilled my dream of having a new boat built, to the tune of 397.000 $. I thought at the age of 45 I would still have enough time to work hard for another 10 years and pay it off. After two years of fishing like crazy, never home, winter and summer, sometimes 150 miles out, I started to develope some problems.

Going to the bathroom all the time, horrible migrains, I thought I must be getting carple tunnel in my left hand, work was becoming dificult, I started kind of dragging my left leg, blaming it on my boots, that I would never complain about because my wife bought them for me. Time to throw it in netrel and finally take the time to go to the docter and get fixed up! BOY was I in for a surprise ! "Sorry man, you have got multipul sclerosis, thers no cure". Well it has been a rough ride ever since.I managed to get a good fellow to take the boat while I sorted things out for a little. I took back over for a year or so but it just got so hard. I have him fulltime now and between us we make it work.

I started a regeme of acupucture, wich I still do to this day , still work in the construction, heavy equipment, and went to Poland for the ccsvi procedure. My dx is ppm.which everybody knows just gets worse and worse or so it seems. Poland was a little over two years ago and I had some improvment, since then my back finnally completly gave out and i have been over a year getting able to do physical work again. I'm 53 now and still at it . I'm very stubbern, which I feel works in my favour with this dieses, so im not ready to give in all together and I was "luckey'' that it didn't come on earlier in life.

Really though looking back with my doctor my first symptoms apeared 10 years before my dx so its been with me for at least 17 or 18 years now. Unfortunatly were all in this together, or maybey its fortunatly good that we have people just like ourselves to go through it with .

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
    It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

You are so right. Or I agree with you, at least. I have been working for myself all of my 54 years, as well. I don't think a lifetime of hard work has anything to do with the MS. You understand hard work and deserve the rewards that come along with it.
    So, your story is the story of many of us. Keep up the fight. I am right there with you. Good luck. Keep posting.

Comment

Welcome to MSWorld, oceanpride!! We're glad you found us. I love your user name~~ Having spent many many years in Alaska living in a fishing community, I understand the hard work that goes into commercial fishing. I applaud you!

It's good to hear you use acupuncture as part of your "arsenal" - it's works well for me too. And your stubbornness will carry you far on your journey. I wish you well.

Come back often, ask lots of questions and give us your input. Lots of good people on board here. We're all in the same boat
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks .Sometimes the condition gets me down and it's nice to hear some common sence. You all know. I do too ,I just have to stop and think about it awhile, not too long though. IT is a big black cloud that seems to follow me around.

I have been looking at this site for years and finally registered. All you people have given me so much strength . I'm not glad that your here under the circumstances,but it,s comforting . Does MS only affect nice people? or do only nice people get it? I could have so mush more fun when I was younger if I had've only knew
        It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Working...
        X