nurses with ms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad exacerbation

I am an oncology night shift rn. I work three nights a week with mostly wonderful coworkers and fellow nurses. However, things are getting rough. They changed our matrix so that we can now have up to ten pts each(supposed to max out at 8, but they keep breaking their own matrix), and we are now giving chemo on the night shift. I go in 45 mins early every night to get set up. I never, ever get to take my 1/2 hour lunch - which they automatically deduct from out pay anyways, and then I almost never get out on time. I'm usually out 1/2 hr to an hour late. The stress is unbelieveable. Top all of that off with having pct's (cna's) that don't feel like working or will argue with the nurses right in front of the pt's.

I really believe that this job is slowly kiiling me, and there aren't any other jobs open at the moment. I have three kids who all have major health issues, and I carry the insurance for the family - the co my hubby works for doesn't offer insurance coverage.

So, two weeks ago, I broke my left pinkie toe. Was out for two nights, then went in for two nights of stumbling around. Then I started with the cog fog, double vision, trouble swallowing, walking like a drunk, dropping everything. Ended up being admitted to my own floor for four days in solumedrol and sent home on tapering dose. I have never been so exhausted in all my life. I am still trying to get up and be active for more the three or four hours at a time. My neuro says he thinks its time to call it done and go on disability. Does anyone know how much Binder and Binder costs?

I am very scared/frustrated about potentially giving up my nursing. I made it through school with near constant cog fog and survived it. It was such a hard fought battle.

Thanks for the shoulders to whine on.
    Hugs ~ Margaret

Comment

Miss Working

I was diagnosed in Aug. 2004 and was working as the night supervisor in a small hospital. I worked every dept. every night. I absolutely loved my job and the people I worked with. It ha been almost 6 years since I worked and I still miss it. The only positive to come out of this is that my children were able to have a stay at home Mom. I love to reminisce about things that happened at work, patients I dealt with,experiences that touched me, etc. I am glad to have found this thread!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rgngsmom View Post
        I am an oncology night shift rn. I work three nights a week with mostly wonderful coworkers and fellow nurses. However, things are getting rough. They changed our matrix so that we can now have up to ten pts each(supposed to max out at 8, but they keep breaking their own matrix), and we are now giving chemo on the night shift. I go in 45 mins early every night to get set up. I never, ever get to take my 1/2 hour lunch - which they automatically deduct from out pay anyways, and then I almost never get out on time. I'm usually out 1/2 hr to an hour late. The stress is unbelieveable. Top all of that off with having pct's (cna's) that don't feel like working or will argue with the nurses right in front of the pt's.

I really believe that this job is slowly kiiling me, and there aren't any other jobs open at the moment. I have three kids who all have major health issues, and I carry the insurance for the family - the co my hubby works for doesn't offer insurance coverage.

So, two weeks ago, I broke my left pinkie toe. Was out for two nights, then went in for two nights of stumbling around. Then I started with the cog fog, double vision, trouble swallowing, walking like a drunk, dropping everything. Ended up being admitted to my own floor for four days in solumedrol and sent home on tapering dose. I have never been so exhausted in all my life. I am still trying to get up and be active for more the three or four hours at a time. My neuro says he thinks its time to call it done and go on disability. Does anyone know how much Binder and Binder costs?

I am very scared/frustrated about potentially giving up my nursing. I made it through school with near constant cog fog and survived it. It was such a hard fought battle.

Thanks for the shoulders to whine on.
        Its hard to argue with one's neuro but if it were me I'd do whatever I could to keep working. Could you do 20 or 24 hours a week with benefits and just pay a bit more? Or start looking for a less stressful job because there are definitely ones easier than what you are doing now.

I don't know for sure but it doesn't sound like disability pays anything and that won't provide health benefits for your kids or husband. Please keep us posted. I hate this disease.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Newly "diagnosed"

I am a CIC/CCU nurse who is going to grad school and just found out about this new path, I will be taking. I told my manager, but I know that I will need to change jobs. Does anyone know how insurance/retirement plans works with a chronic diagnosis, I am thinking of going back to psych nursing. I am currently fully insured. I am mostly scared and I haven't been able to stop crying. I am thinking of some counseling, really lost right now. I am happy that I found this sight. Any advice would be nice. (MD broke the news probable MS 4 days ago, let me tell you the bedside manner of thin man was worse than any surgeons that I have ever seen, but I did get me MRI and neurologist pushed through all within a month of symptom onset.) going back to work on Wednesday. What is an average length of the L'hermitts sign, this thing drives me crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by artimesia View Post
            I am a CIC/CCU nurse who is going to grad school and just found out about this new path, I will be taking. I told my manager, but I know that I will need to change jobs. Does anyone know how insurance/retirement plans works with a chronic diagnosis, I am thinking of going back to psych nursing. I am currently fully insured. I am mostly scared and I haven't been able to stop crying. I am thinking of some counseling, really lost right now. I am happy that I found this sight. Any advice would be nice. (MD broke the news probable MS 4 days ago, let me tell you the bedside manner of thin man was worse than any surgeons that I have ever seen, but I did get me MRI and neurologist pushed through all within a month of symptom onset.) going back to work on Wednesday. What is an average length of the L'hermitts sign, this thing drives me crazy.
            Welcome. I remember how horrified I was when I was diagnosed and the neuro couldn't even look in my eyes.

The good news in this case is that MS can be very unpredictable and while it is great to plan ahead you might have plenty of time during remission to continue on with your current job and school.

I don't disclose my illness at work because so far I don't need any considerations and am afraid of discrimination, how sad is that in health care?

I didn't understand your question about insurance/retirement with chronic illness. Hang in there.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

not diagnosed yet

was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1995, but now it seems they were probably wrong OR I have MS too??? I've been on short term disability since march 23 because of the fatigue and memory problems and the cognitive stuff. And jsut last week the PCP started the MS work up. My MRI shows white spots but my first neuro dr said I didn't have MS. I've been a nurse for 34 years and have never done anything else. but I am so so tired every day and now with the heat starting up it is even worse (always thought that was R/T FMS) and my memory and thinking is still bad too . There's no way I can work like this-work in a very busy dialysis clinic and we were getting short staffed ALL the time so I was running charge and patients and this 55 year old just wasn't fast enough at change over. The stress got worse and the fatigue, then depression set in along with the memory and cognotive...talk about scarey..I have an appt with new MD-neuro on the 23rd so I just gotta wait I guess. I just hope if it is MS that treatment can get rid of some of this fatigue!!
              Debbie

Comment

For the newly dx

I would never disclose! We all like to think that those in healthcare are understanding and empathic far from it! I made the mistake of disclosing at a previous job-and it followed me to the next-where snarky comments ensued, I didn't need accommadations, but most people don't want to think I could be young healthy, and THAT could happen to me! Most were just incredibly rude and hurtful-some from my former nursing instructor, I am a former army nurse, where we had eachother's back in the civilian sector stab you in the back, and take joy in seeing you fall.

Comment

RN N VA

For give me for the run on sentences. . .

I was dx in 3/09. . .After working the night of 2/28/09, I got off then laid down, just to awake not being able to see, speak or walk. . . Well the ER doc dx me with an ear infection. . .

I said (with slurred speech)how does an ear infection affect my speech and my jerking movements, he said your young, your strong, you will get over it. . . .I couldnt see but I left the ER that night holding on to the walls and dragging my feet with everyone looking at me like I was drunk. a taxi took me home, I cried b/c I knew something was wrong and there was no one to confirm it.

I was already being treated for pain/infection in my eyes so I went back to those docs, well the doc there brought in another doc, and he took one looked at me an said she needs a neuro consult. They sent me back to the ER for eval. I was admitted that same day

8 days later I was diagnosed with MS

17mths later, I can see, my normal speech has returned, and I walk with a cane, all at 39 y o and my 5 y o daughter on my heels . 98% of the S/S R/T MS I have, but I'm so thankful in the midst of it all, b/c it could be much worst. . .

Some one once said if you can smile and you are vertical, then it was a good day

RN in VA, USA
                  RNatHeart n VA

Comment

Newly Dx RN

Hi everyone,

Its nice to know I'm not alone. I have been a pediatric nurse for 4 years, and a PICU nurse for a year. I just had my fourth child this July, she is perfect . My oldest child is special needs.

I was diagnosed when I was 32 weeks pregnant. I am currently going through an acute exacerbation and receiving IV solumedrol which makes me feel crappy. I just don't know what to do regarding work.

I work 13 hour night shifts, they don't have 8 hour shifts unless you take an on call position. I don't think I have much of a choice. There are no day positions available. So I'm thinking I have to take the on call slot. I don't want to lose my job bc I can't work the full 13 or bc I have to call in due to another exacerbation.

sorry I guess I'm just venting and worried about the financial.

Maria

Comment

Originally posted by jinxsig1 View Post
                      I don't think I have much of a choice. There are no day positions available. So I'm thinking I have to take the on call slot. I don't want to lose my job bc I can't work the full 13 or bc I have to call in due to another exacerbation.

sorry I guess I'm just venting and worried about the financial.

Maria
                      Its not ideal but maybe you could consider another peds job. There are still many units that do 8 hour shifts at my hospital.

As nurses we are blessed to have way more flexibility with employment than many people. Hope you feel better soon.
                      Anonymous

Comment

RN with possible MS

Hello, I have been a RN for almost 10 yrs and was diagnosed with thyroid cancer 2 yrs ago. Now my doctor is saying my autoimmune disease has caused my adrenal glands to fail so he ordered an MRI of pituitary. The pituitary was normal but they did find vasculitis and a demyelenating process of my white matter. Everywhere I read this is found on most all patients with MS. I have been having symptoms of numbness and tingling in my legs and feet for quite some time now but never thought it could be related to that. My doctor wants to do another MRI of the brain in 3 months to make sure it is not worsening but if it is he thinks I need to see a neurologist. Is he thinking I have MS? I am freaking out! How did any of you get diagnosed with it? I just thought my symptoms were from my back problems but saw the doc for that and he said it looked okay. I usually work 12 hr shifts back to back but it is getting harder and harder to do without being in pain. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi SMORS,
                          If you post your questions on the general board you might get more answers.

Did they do contrast when you had your MRI? In any event I would definitely see a Neurologist without waiting. There are many things it could be. Good luck.
                          Anonymous

Comment

Smokeycat

I hope you still are on this site. Please update about your SSDI and work. Did you get approved for SSI? OK-let me introduce. I am an RN-have worked 30 years-(Yikes) was diagnosed with MS 4 years ago. Did not do well with injections-per MRI results- and am now on monthly infusions of Tysabri. I believe my sx have not progressed. Just had my first "no changes" MRI. I am clinging to my monthly infusions.

It is wierd being disabled. I don't say that a lot to friends and family-I don't want to complain. When I read on this board that you want to work or that you miss it--I sure appreciate those feelings. SSI is a good idea-but please-don't rush into it. Start with your employer and the ADA-if anything can be tried to keep you working--try it! I can't work in nursing at all-legally. This happened much to soon. I was 2 years short of retirement. I still want to work!
                            To all you nurses-hang in there. We worked because we cared for others and it is necessary to care for ourselves. How many times have we heard that? Be the best you can be!

Comment

Great Job ! So Lucky

I am also fortunate to have heard of this kind of nursing and to find the perfect place!! I was on STD from working at a "crazy" dialysis clinic;tore my biceps muscle from my shoulder and had my first "attack" of MS symptoms. My MRI is abnormal but still going thru tests.
                              But I knew I had to find an easier job. I moved from MD to NC;in part for the job;but also have family here. I am a telephonic clinician-teaching and coaching using motivational interviewing. I work 6 hours a day 5 days a week and get FULL benefits. The pay was only a dollar less than I was making and I sit 85% of the time
                              ..my symptoms are mild right now so I am doing OK The company name is Healthways. If anyone needs more info let me know ..
                              Originally posted by kwaho View Post
                              I was fortunate enough to find a part-time position that I can telecommute in utilization review. I know others do case management and disease management. The pay is lower than in than in the hospital but at least I can maintain my license.

Start by getting your resume together. Then troll the internet, career buider, monster, etc. It took me months but I eventually found something working for the insurance industry. "Walking" into a few interviews gave me a lot of anxiety. Thankfully, no one questioned my walking (I think it would be against the law anyway). Just stay confident!!!

I did have to go for several months of full-time training. There are probably more telephonic nursing jobs at office based call centers than ones that you can work from home.

Like working in a hospital, it seemed so complex initially but I've learned a lot over time. Like many of you, I would rather be in direct contact with patients and hospital staff but I just had to accept that I needed to let go of it.

All the best to my fellow RN's looking for jobs.
                              Debbie

Comment

Just 'outed' myself a few years ago.....

I have had ms for about 12 1/2 years, mostly mild w/ a few kind of bad flares. I started at my current job about 3 months before I had my first flare and was dx. I just recently started being open about it about 3 years ago, b/c I felt like it was a dirty secret. Mostly it is a non-issue, and I like having the support of my co-workers, some of them who are now close friends. I work out 5-6 days a week, and eat healthy. I consider myself to be in better shape than any of my co-workers. Unfortunately I have seen that nursing is often a career not conducive to healthy living.
                                Sometimes when I have a normal 'brain fart' or can't remember what I am doing, I get worried that people are thinking it must be my MS. And I am always cognizant of whether or not I am able to do my job.
                                I work in an ICU, and I am aware I won't be able to do this job for a long time. It is stressful 12 hour shifts, and physically demanding. But one thing MS has taught me is to live today, although it is always in the back of my mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X