Yesterday was a tough day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday was a tough day...

I resigned from my job after 25 1/2 years. It tore me up I have to admit. After all the times I got so PO'd and wanted to quit, I figured I'd be happy. Not so much.

My crew snuck around taking pictures of all of our vendors, sales people, each other and special customers, they put them in an album for me, even had an impromptu, all day party. That was so sweet. Got to hug many people and shed so many tears. It is amazing the relationship's you develop.

Anyhow I have already applied for LTD and started the process for SSD online.

bittersweet is the perfect term. i resigned after 22 years, so i understand perfectly. but the memories will last forever. enjoy your retirement.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Sounds like you worked with a great bunch of people and you must have meant something special to your co-workers for all of them to make you that picture album. It's always the people and the memories that we miss the most, isn't it. Even the grumpy ones!

Best of luck with your new endeavours.

Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Reply:Yesterday was a tough day...

It happened few months back with one of my colleagues. He was all in tears in his farewell party, hardly able to speak.

Comment

For all of my complaining about my company, ie: politics, new rules & regs, work conditions...it is a very good company after all.

On April 13th was our company Awards banquet, there all employees are rewarded for 5 (and in 5 further year increments) years of service. There are also the Manager of the year, Presidents Award etc. I got to recieve my 25 year award certificate and service reward.

The President of the company told me to wait a second when I walked onto the stage. He flabbergasted me by then reading a toast to me and the efforts I'd put in on their behalf for the 25 years. The more he talked the more I cried. Then there was the standing ovation! I couldn't believe that this group of 200 + people were applauding me. (Still don't!)

I initially worried that the company Powers That Be, may use the dx of MS as an excuse to be rid of me. I had been known to butt heads and be stubborn and ornery about things (ask the GM), it is a relief to know that there were some things that I must have done right.

Also the HR director called me yesterday to review the final details of my last paycheck etc, she told me about the careful records they'd kept detailing when I took off and why. (That could have been a 2 edged sword I know) They have sent it to the LTD company and will also send it to SS for review. I am happy about that.

There was never any question of my disclosing the reason for my medical issues and I am glad for the choice I made. The company is not huge, less than 1,000 employees but pretty modern none the less.

Comment

Wow! It's been too long since I logged in.

I just wanted to say how proud I am of my better half, dpmich.

She had already resigned from the company due to MS the end of March, but was still invited to the award banquet.

We knew she was getting her 25 yr service award, and the short speech given for it by the human resource director, was not unexpected either.

But... when she started to leave the stage with the other people, and the President of the Company asked her to wait a minute, both she, I, and all the rest of the guests were wondering 'what the...?'

He then gave a heartfelt speech on how much Debbie contributed to the company over the years.
            She always stood up and delivered, was how he put it. And that is true.
            He said much more about my wife's dedication, and I was crying without shame by then. Then she got a spontaneous standing ovations for 3 or 4 minutes, it blew our minds!

Later, during a break, I went up to Terry (The Co. President), to express my thanks for his comments.
            I just said you'll never know how much those fews words meant to both Debbie and I.
            I was surprised when I saw tears in his eyes as well, when he told me he meant every word. He was sad to see her go.

It was a very good nite. Both sad and happy.

I also worked for the same company over 15 years, so we've been to a lot of these banquets. This was the first time we've ever seen this type of thing.

I am so very proud of Debbie. Not just because she is my wife.
            But for being the person she is, that touches peoples lives.
            I love you Sweetheart!

Comment

To FPmich & DPmich

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your posts. You guys have a beautiful relationship :-)

Comment

dpmich, congrats on receiving your 25 yr service award. Sounds like a great company and a well deserved award.

I believe MS people, like many people in general, will knock you socks off given a fair chance.

Comment

Working...
                X