Recovery time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovery time

When you were diagnosed, what were you're symptoms and severity of them and how long did it take for you to recover from them?

Hello scottjacksonato and welcome to MSWorld.

Recovery time can vary from person to person.

At the time I was diagnosed I was in a severe exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up). Diagnostic process took about 3 months with the exacerbation remaining the same during the process.

Symptoms:

- bi-lateral leg weakness
    - buzzing/vibrations from the waist down
    - tingling/pins and needles (legs & feet)
    - hand tremors
    - extreme fatigue
    - severe pain
    - LHermitte's sign
    - mobility compromised/difficult to walk or get around.
    - numb from the waist down

Once diagnosed I was put on oral Prednisone and improvement seen at 4 to 6 weeks.

Actual recovery took longer (several months).
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

It took some time to diagnose me, but that was on me. They told me to get an MRI because they suspected MS when I developed trigeminal neuralgia (TN). I was young, and thought, phhh, no way, I don't have MS. I am not doing all that.

So my first major flare was:

1. Weakness in my left side both arm and leg.
      2. Major pain in the right side of my face (TN).
      3. Foot drop in my left leg.
      4. Lhermitte's sign.

I was given an MRI (brain, spine), was diagnosed, and given a 5-day course of IVSM. On the first day of steroids I began to feel better, but it took me about 2 weeks for everything to go away and for me to feel "normal" again.

I was started on Copaxone.

Sometimes it takes a while for the IV steroids to work, but eventually they will.

Take care
      Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

I had only one symptom when I was diagnosed, Central Dizziness. Apparently, I also had a bout of Optic Nueritis too, but never knew I had it. Took only about three months for a diagnosis.

The Central Dizziness is a permanent symptom and is controlled by a benzo. If it turns into flat out Central Vertigo, only IV Steroids can solve the issue. My Neuros are therefore very vigilant about keeping the Central Dizziness maintained.

I have had only two major flares that actually brought me to my knees and incapacitated. For the first, there was no drug that helped, and I had to wait it out and that took close to 5 months. I was paralyzed during this episode, I could not even hold a pencil in my hand. I have three digits on my left hand that I can not feel from that flare. And I lost total ability to run and my gait has changed. That is permanent.

I have recently come out of a flare two days ago, which lasted two months and ON was present. IV steroids helped a lot. Thought there was going to be residuals, but I got lucky and all seems well. So it seems nothing permanent.

I agree with previous poster, even if you have IV Steroids it takes a few weeks to get total relief. Although, the ON went away with the first infusion.

Minor flares with all those little irritating symptoms, I ignore.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X