Possible dumb question alert...catching feet while walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CatMom - Hi, other Jen! :-)

That was my other thought. Because I have a connective tissue disorder, it could be mechanical and due to lax tendons/ligaments in the foot/ankle. I checked and I can walk on my heels ok - I can also flex my feet without an issue.
    J. Brooke Chao
    Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome

Comment

Yes, foot drag is MS...caught it while I was running too..landed flat on my face a few times.

Whatever you do...stay off of treadmills...they are dangerous as heck with foot drag...hmmm...how would I know that? And I mean dangerous!

Katie
      "Yep, I have MS and it does have me."
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

It's best to get it checked, especially with your tissue disorder. EMG is quick and painless, you get the results immediately. I think there's also a neck lesion associated with MS related footdrop but not sure. Let us know how you're making out.
        Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I think I have the perfect test for foot drop and even to test the severity! I live in the Central Coast of Cali, about 20mins from the ocean so I was there at least 3-4x a week during the summer. I lived inland where the temps can get to 105-110*.

Many years ago, my best friend and I were visiting local beach towns, she is a photographer and was working on building up her portfolio. We had been to some other beach towns earlier in the week but we were actually playing and working on this day as Avila is our favorite hang out beach. As we were walking along the wet sand she turned around to take a picture of me with the pier in the background and commented on my footprints. Every R print had a faint line in the sand following it. I didn't know about foot drop yet but had had some stumbles and wonder if they were related.

I was back at the beach a month or so later and by this time, was definitely noticing that I seemed to be catching my foot a lot, making me stumble. I went for a walk with my husband and sure enough, now the line was VERY pronounced, almost as if it had been drawn with a stick!

I know not everyone lives by the ocean but too back they couldn't come up with something that could duplicate it. It seems a lot more accurate than just walking across the room!
          "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Dx 2004, Copx, Rebif, Ty Beta- I'm done!!

Comment

Thanks all!

Thanks, all!

Luv2Worship - Thanks for the suggestion. I don't live near the ocean (4 hours away), but next time I'm there - prob some time this summer - I'll check that out! Is it a line from the heel or the ball of the foot?

CatMom - Yeah, I'm seeing him Tuesday, so I imagine he'll run some basic things then (or at least schedule them).

KatieAgain - Yeah, I don't like treadmills. I feel like I always have to use the handles the whole time, which then puts a bunch of stress on my wrists/elbows/shoulders. No worries there! When I run, I run on the sidewalk (and shorter distances).
            J. Brooke Chao
            Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome

Comment

Jenn

It is a line that is from your big toe and goes straight out ahead. So its your foot print first and immediately following is the line! Hope that helps!
              "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Dx 2004, Copx, Rebif, Ty Beta- I'm done!!

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
                Whatever you do...stay off of treadmills...they are dangerous as heck with foot drag...hmmm...how would I know that? And I mean dangerous!

Katie
                "Yep, I have MS and it does have me."
                Drat! I was working out for a while and feeling great because of it. A batch of radiation treatment for a goofy prostate left me 'spotting' a year or so later so that embarrasing isue stopped my workouts for a while.
                I was a marathon cyclist with a few double centuries under my belt but a clutzy left foot has my ankle smacking the crank or without clip-in pedals my foot falling off the pedal and getting beat up.
                At the gym I tried elipticals and stair climbing machines that just didn't suit me because of roaming foot syndrome (a syndrome I think I just coined the phrase for!)
                The trainer wanted me to try the treadmill but I always hated them and refsed. He insisted so I tried it and, shazam... I found an aerobic machine I could use! I think that might be because I can always hold on when working out.
                Now you give me this warning? Shoot! Why do you find treadmills so dangerous? I always make sure the safety-stop gizmo is clipped to my shirt 'just in case' but now you have me rethinking this whole treadmill thing. What problems are you having with them and is there anything short of walking past them that you can recommend so I can continue using them?
                Thanks

Comment

Me, too!

I was diagnosed in Feb. 2003, but had my first major exacerbation in early 1988.

In the last few years, I notice that I stumble over throw rugs or a tile that is minutely uneven with the rest. I don't have foot drop, but I do experience occasional weakness in my legs. I guess it's just one of the "fun" things that MS gives us to deal with.

Good luck at your neurologist appointment!
                  COPAXONE - Feb. '03
                  Dx - Feb. '03
                  1st Sx - March '88

Comment

Hi.
                    Just saw your post about footdrop. MS has been with me officially since 2007, and has been progressing slowly but consistently.

Recently, I notice the balance has gotten pretty bad, but I still only use a cane once in awhile since I have my hubby to hold on to. But, if I'm alone, I focus on lifting my toes when I walk to avoid the stumbling.

A few years ago I "stumbled" flat on my face onto concrete and broke three of my front teeth, so it's wise to think about your walking. I don't look at people if I'm walking with them since I have to keep my eyes on the ground, and sometimes I don't answer them until I stop walking. We do what we need to do!

Some shoes are curved upward in the front, and I try to get those......some SAS, some Clark's, Merrill's.......

Good luck and focus!

Comment

Jennbrooke, before your appointment tomorrow, look at the toes of the shoes that you walk/exercise in. My guess is that the toe of the drop foot is worn much more significantly that the other foot. My neuro showed me this when I was diagnosed and it was so clear to see the significance of the foot drop.

Even though my foot drop is better now, my left shoes are always a bit more scuffed and the sole of my left sneaker is significantly more worn down than my other foot. (At least it isn't as bad as it used to be!)

Best wishes tomorrow...please update us all!

MGM

Comment

What a trip!

Hi guys,

Yeah, me too Luckily, I haven't fallen on my face in all these years . It sometimes happens several times a day, but I've never paid attention if it's especially when I'm tired. I've always blamed it on my shoes / crocs. I guess it's just . . . MS, as usual .

Feel good ,
                        Maris

Comment

Working...
                        X