spastacity question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spastacity question

Hi well my question is whether stretching the affected area can improve spastacity immediately and for a short period (e.g. 5 to 10 mins).

The reason I ask is that there is some tightness in my leg which has been there for about a month, and it improves for a short while after stretching.

I am trying to determine if this is MS related spastacity or something else.

Thanks for any help!

Stretching does help with MS spasticity. It helps both your legs and your back which can get tight when your legs are tight.

If you know some stretches, that is good. If not, try to get an appointment with a PT. They can teach you some stretches that will give you the most bang for your buck so to speak.

I hope it works out for you.

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

The proper stretching and exercise program can significantly
      reduce your spasticity. My physical therapist has been a wonderful resource for me and a consistent member of my medical team.

Most PTs will do an evaluation during your initial appointment, help you set goals and then work towards them. She has provided printed out exercises for home and also gym workouts so I can maintain my workout regime after PT is over.

You're insurance company may not pay for physical therapy appointments unless you get a prescription from your doctor. It doesn't have to be your neurologist, it can be your GP, pain management or any other doctor.

I wish you well ...

Comment

Hi

Thank you for the replies. So its normal for stretching to alleviate MS spastacity for only 5 or 10 minutes?

Comment

It does sound like the spasticity I have also. When I stretch it will relieve the tightness for a short period of time; 5 minutes or so; enough to get me going but it remains. Stretching does feel great and I force myself to walk everywhere.. No elevators and no 4 wheeler on the farm. Keep moving!

And I am in a period of time where it is much better than it has been of several months.

I have been rx'd Baclofen which really is a lifesaver for me.

This is my first round of spasticity and it was difficult for me to determine what was going on but the Baclofen really works.

Hope this helps.
          Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Spasticity question

I have tightness in my hamstrings. It feels like a tight rubberband that won't let go.

Then my muscles ache. When I stretch and do my exercises, which has to be everyday, im ok.

If I let one day go by without doing my exercises the tightness comes back. If two days go by it comes back with a vengence.

Would this be considered spasticity or could it be something else?

I was on muscle relaxers when it first happened and it relieved it. But I am no longer on them.
            STR

Comment

Working...
            X