X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cognition and Fatigue

Here's my quick summary:
    • 1993 - vertigo and other odd symptoms
    • 2006 - diagnosed with MS - only mild sensory symptoms between the two dates. Besides cervical spine lesions, lesions in both cerebral hemispheres
    Following the episode in 1993, my focus was never quite the same. I used to read a book a week, following it, I can't hold attention long enough to get thru one.

To the present - latest neuropsych cognitive testing confirmed how I feel:
    • Reasoning skills, math, and vocabulary still ok, as is ability to learn
    • Memory recall, complex analysis , visual/spatial all declined with less ability to focus - not normal age related changes
    So basically, as I have felt at work, I can do part of my job, but then when I need to recall and apply what I've learned - even after reviewing notes, documents, etc..., still difficult. Everything takes much longer, as I need to relearn things.

Neuropsych thinks fatigue may be factor and wants to retest in 6 months to see if any change, maybe change meds. He doesn't want to introduce meds now, as I just had Rx changes and wants more control on cause and effect.

I have been feeling this way for awhile and feel with each year, there is slight degradation. I've always put extra time in at work to make up for it. But now, extra time is just not an option - there's no energy left after 8 hours.

I guess the question I have is if fatigue is the cause, wouldn't it have reduced my skills across the board?

Your thoughts and experience are greatly appreciated. I don't get a chance to post much, as once the work day is done, so am I Speaking of, I better get back to it.

Thanks so much.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Hi Kathy,

It seems your issue may be one related to how much attention you give something. For anyone, if they're not paying attention to something they won't remember it. With me, I feel like I have to specifically direct my attention to something in order to remember it. Being fatigued isn't going to make you forget things you have known for a long time, but it might interfere with your being able to recall the information. On the other hand fatigue will interfere with something you are learning now or haven't known for very long.

I tend to leave notes for myself because if I have to remember something I can't always count on being able to do it. You might want to try a medication for fatigue. They make you cognitively more alert so that will probably help you at work.
    Lori
    Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Cognition and fatigue

I was dx 15 yrs ago and had to quit my job as a speech /language pathologist. Too much pressure to make evaluations an not make a mistake with percentages.

Now I volunteer at a hospital in volunteer services and when I have. Very busy day answering phones and processing information I fee exhausted and want to rest awhile.

I know this never goes away, but small rests can recharge your brain and body, so be kind to yourself.
      : Learides

Comment

I also have a hard time focusing and retaining current information. I have the luxury of a nap daily because I work for me now. I can no longer do the critical thinking I was once able to do and had to make an adjustment in my career choice.

DO be kind to yourself and let go of the worry of not being able to perform. You probably do much better than you think but just miss the old you.

I have had to learn to let some thing go and I definately was an achiever.

J
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

I haven't

been able to read a book in years - I used to love to read and get lost in a book, especially one of those you can't put down.
          My critical thinking abilities are gone - I can't make decisions anymore - I read things a half a dozen times and it still doesn't sink in sometimes. Sometimes it's days later when for no apparent reason, I'll get a thought as to what someone said to me and at that time now understand what they meant.
          I can't focus on anything - I find myself going from one thing to another with nothing getting done, finished, accomplished.
          For about the first hour or two that I'm up in the morning I have some energy but it's gone after that, even after taking a nap or two.

Comment

Here is another article re: my previous post. The conclusion says:

"We have found an increased prevalence of CD in 8 of the 72 MS patients (11.1%) and also in their first-degree relatives (23/126 [32%]). Therefore, increased efforts aimed at the early detection and dietary treatment of CD, among antibody-positive MS patients, are advisable."

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2377/11/31

Comment

Lori, Learides, Justacowgirl, its2much, and Shiela - thank you all for your responses. While I feel bad that anyone else has to know the feeling, it always helps to know you are not alone in this.

I really don't understand how my reasoning skill can function optimally - I would think if fatigue is the cause of the other issues, then this would be impacted as well. I do take 200mg of Provigil each day to combat the fatigue.

I won't, but feel like shouting at work - don't worry, I can do the analysis that is based on reasoning - I just won't be able to document it, tell you what it means, or recall it!!!!

Oh well - I guess I have to be patient and grateful for the things that do still function well and start thinking about possible career change.

Shiela - your post on Celiac's Disease somewhat runs true in my family. I know they say that when one member has an autoimmune disease, others are more likely to develop one as well. My sister has ulcerative colitis and my niece has Celiac's. The Celiac's really did a number on her abilities cognitively - once diagnosed and diet modified, she went from struggling for C's to straight A's. So lots of things can affect our cognitive abilities.

Thanks again to all.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
              X