Bowel Incontinence ? *embarrassing*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowel Incontinence ? *embarrassing*

I have had urgency for quite some time but have now actually had "an accident" while sleeping. again *embarassing*

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so what does it mean? Is it a symptom of MS? of the drugs I have to take? a flare (new lesion)?

And most importatly can it be helped?

Please anyone with any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

I see my nuero on Monday.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by jkp79 View Post
    I have had urgency for quite some time but have now actually had "an accident" while sleeping. again *embarassing*

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so what does it mean? Is it a symptom of MS? of the drugs I have to take? a flare (new lesion)?

And most importatly can it be helped?

Please anyone with any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

I see my nuero on Monday.

Thanks in advance.
    Do you have pain in your abdomen?
    I have had accidents but never in my sleep. The pain wakes me up most nights then I can make it to the bathroom.

I eat immodeum's like Tic-Tacs and stay lactose and gluten free with my diet.
    It helps but I still have problems.

I still live with the "hug" 24/7 and it seems to only get worse as the years pass.
    I have been considering Botox but I have not tried it yet.

Do you have pain with it or is it just an unhappy surprize?

Comment

I've had incontinence of both varities, bladder beginning as a young adult and bowel for the last 10yrs.

I had the digital proctologic examination and it was determined that muscle control was intact. There was discussion that IBS might explain my bowel incontinence, aka irritable bowel syndrome. IMO the IBS dx is the equivelient of saying you have sx not otherwise explained.

10 months ago I started a new MS therapy, and the bowel incontinence has resolved for the first time in 10yrs.

Comment

Hi jkp79,

this is a good place to get info on stuff like that. i've had to focus on that myself in the past...so i have answered with what i know...instead of typing it again i will place links to past post i have responded in about this topic...

and recently the FDA has approved a med for fecal incontince. Solesta. I copied the announcement from the FDA when i got it, because it was apparently the first med for this issue. unfortunately MSWorfd rules do not allow pasted info. it was deleted. ggogle it and you will find many links to it. take a look for it your self & perhaps ask your doc about it after all things that might fix it with diet & excersize are tried first.

two past links on this embarasing subject. read them to see if you find any thing helpful. Good luck. its a good idea you plan to discuss it with your doc at your next appointment.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114759

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...wel+Incontince
        xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

I have been having this urgency problem for about 2 or 3 months and knew that it was probably something with the MS but no one really seemed concerned therefore I didn't either. I had always managed to know it was coming. I just had to hurry.

I had no pain or warning signs prior to the "accident". I didn't even know it had happened until I woke up. The Dr wanted me to quit the Baclofen as it is the newest med but I had the loose stool and urgent need prior to it, just no "accidents". Now she seems to want to re-evaluate me and maybe send me in for another MRI but that is all she will say until my appointment.

Comment

I have lived the past twenty years like this. Now I know that it is associated with MS. This is something I never even would discuss with my Dr. But always associated with weakness in my legs ALWAYS! I would have the weakness and knew that I was going to have bowel issues. Never knew why but too embarrassed to ask.

Would always watch what I was eating and when. Never ate when traveling. I kept Imodium in business.

It is comforting to know that I am not CRAZY and not alone in this struggle.
            Jacque

dxd August 2011 at age of 65

Comment

Sorry you are going through this! I have had accidents while sleeping. *blush* I spoke to my neuro and got sent to a Gastro.

My issues are related to major constipation issues. I wasn't going for 3+ weeks and then my tizanidine at night was enough to "relax" everything finally to cause the accidents. Yikes!

Once we got the constipation issues under control (I take massive fiber amounts every day and then if I still don't "go" after a couple days, I can take Milk of Magnesia), I have not had any other accidents.

You are not alone. *blush* My recommendation is to see a Gastroenterologist (your neuro will probably recommend it anyway). They can help you figure out the best way to deal with your issues and exactly what is causing it.

Since mine is related to spasticity, I have to make sure to keep on top of it and keep taking my meds, even when I think my muscle spasms are not acting up.

It is an embarrassing problem, but you aren't alone and the Gastro deals with that sort of stuff all the time. Mine was super great and made me feel not as embarrassed about it. Hope this helps!
              Erin

doing the Limbo since 2005

Comment

I have the incontenience that I associate w/my MS. However a neighbor I met who is a fragile person physicially and w/advanced MS has the opposite bowel problems.

My neighbor has sx's more consistent w/paralysis of the bowels? Weeks and months not 'going' despite a diet she is on for these problems and supplements that you'd expect better results from than she is experiencing.

Comment

Bowel Incontinence

Sooooo horribly embarrassing.

Someone said there is a drug called Solesta for bowel incontinence. I will have to try something bc after 15 yrs RRMS this has now become an issue that seriously affects going out in public.

My husband wants to take a road trip but as much as I want to go i am afraid. Do people take backpack with extra clothes, baby wipes etc?

Lower back problem complicates the issue.

I am getting very depressed with this mess.
                  Anyone?

Comment

Yes, no, bowels, good Lord this MS bites the big one. I would lurve constipation.

Apparently, it's half an hour after eating before the earth begins to move, so to speak. (Or at least that works with house training kittens and puppies.)

I have an absolute horror of public defecation, if I'm the one who's doing the defacating. Had one horrendous experience; fortunately hasn't happened again.

Have come to terms with the bladder thing. Usually can make it to a lavatory, or behind a tree, or a car door, or a pot plant, if it's dark, in time. Not always, alas.

It's not pretty, and I'm sure my neighbours across the road are a tad perturbed, but my lemon tree is doing very well.

It's impossible, but NEVER feel ashamed. There is sweet eff aigh you can do about it.

Comment

Bowel incontinence

At least I now realize this happens to other people and we have a problem thanks to MS.

I wonder if an infusion of solumedrol has ever been a solution for anyone? My neuro said maybe try it and see if condition improves, since this is a symptom which has been inconsistent but now increasing.

Good luck everyone

Comment

Working...
                      X