Having trouble figuring it out..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble figuring it out..

I have been diagnosed with MS since January 2013 and trying to figure the do's and dont's is just aggravating the life out of me. I know theres no true field guide for people with MS cause each persons case is specific. But in all honesty my problem is that when I have a flare up of symptoms do you just quit doing anything til its over or do you keep on going on til it subsides? This is my biggest problem. Its so aggravating not knowing if I'm pushing too much or too little. My neuro never comes right out and just says it and apparently I never ask that question correctly to get a definitive answer. So I guess what i am asking everyone is do you quit doing activity when symptoms flare up or do you keep on going on? Its still all new to me.

I would have done nothing for the past three years if I waited for my symptoms to subside. But it really depends on what your symptoms are...and the things you would avoid while experiencing symptoms. I still went swimming and hiking when I was in pain and couldn't see very well a couple years ago.
    Don't limit yourself, keep as active as you're able because it will be depressing to dwell on symptoms that may or may not go away. Be well.

Comment

welcome!

Sadly, when I had "exacerbations"!I didn't know that's what they were.

I was adopted and had no medical history.

I had lame HM O insurance and by the time I was tested, I was 'normal'.

15 years later, I was, functionality advanced.

I would be happy to help u anyway I can. As navigating these new waters was difficult then...hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20!

Chec my profile out.

Annie
      Disabled RN, Cardiac Intensive Care
      Dx'd 11/03/2005, Sx's for 15+ years prior
      STOPPED DM's 10/15/2010, last one, Tysabri

Don't ask for a better life, ask to be a stronger person!

Comment

I know how confusing this can be. I try to keep going but at the same time not to tire myself out too much and to get plenty of sleep. That is if the flare isn't so bad that I have to stay in bed. I also avoid stress at all costs. I am fortunate that I haven't had a flare since I started on Aubagio. I keep my fingers crossed! I hope that you can find out what works best for you.

Comment

Listen to your body.

I try to keep going, but if my body tells me to slow down that's what I do.

This week my daughter was on vacation and has been with me all week. She wants to shop and do and do and do.
          Yesterday my body said that's enough. I slept ALL DAY, I tried and tried to get up and NO WAY!!!!

So just listen to your body. Normally for us MS'ERS we need more rest specially during a relapse so LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!!

GOOD LUCK AND FEEL BETTER!!
          DIAGNOSED=2012
          ISSUES LONG BEFORE
          REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

BigBlue24: If you have symptoms that start to continuously bother you and last >24 hours, call your neurologist, especially if there is weakness because you are in a flare. At that point, your neuro may want to give you IVSM. Generally, you should conserve your energy, especially if you are tired or fatigued during this flare. Otherwise, do what you can. There is no rule about it. Do what you feel like doing. For sure once you get a couple of doses of IVSM you won't feel like sleeping anymore.

Don't think about it so hard. Just be sure to call your doc if you feel you are in a flare >24 hours of continual symptoms.

Take care of yourself. Feel better.

Lisa
            Moderation Team
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X