The last several days have been awful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last several days have been awful

Let me start with that I live in N. Colorado. Our home is safe, but I work with people that are not so lucky. On Sat. Sept 14th, a friend called to tell me that a mutual aquaintance had died in the flood. She had stayed too long; in the 1976 flood that killed 144 people her house was not touched. Last week her house was swept away. Neighbors whose home also got swept away but survided saw her in the water going downstream. Yes, this would bother anyone, but it bothers me more because she had MS.

I don't know that if she didn't have MS that she would have survived, but I keep on thinking how this disease impacts our lives. I keep thinking about how MS robs you little by little of the life you had.

The same day, before I received this awful news, I had a major back spasm and could barely move. On Sunday, the spasm was even worse and I was scheduled to go into work to help with emergency flood relief. I actually talked to my DH about taking me to the hospital. I've never gone to the hospital due to MS and there but by a stroke of luck, go I.

Finally, I am SPMS and this weekend it feels like my MS went into overdrive and reached new highs (or lows depending on perspective). I made it to work yesterday and today, but at about 3:00 pm today my back started seizing up again. I feel like I'm being robbed each day and there is just not a lot that I can do about it. I feel like I'm hanging on to my old life like a tree in that flood and I'm afraid that if I let go I'll drown.

So very sorry for your loss. I live in Denver and it breaks my heart to hear these stories. Being newly diagnosed, your story is especially sad to me. Big big big hugs to you.
    No sir, I don't like it.
    Diagnosed August 30, 2013.

Comment

This is absolutely heartbreaking. And you are smack dab in the middle of it. I am so sorry for that.

Would the woman have survived if she did not have MS...I don't know.

I know exactly how you are feeling right now (I was in Katrina, with one child in tow) and we were both fine. But, I kept thinking exactly what you are right now.

I will also say that right after Katrina, I went into the absolute worst flare I have ever been in...the worst. I was hospitalized twice. So it is very important, which I know is hard to keep your stress levels down.

Only good thoughts are coming your way...hang in there.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by BJG55 View Post
        I keep thinking about how MS robs you little by little of the life you had.
        So very true and spot on. I am a living shell of the person I was, trying to just get through each day as best I can. I never knew just LIVING could be so damn hard.
        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
        X