Baseline testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baseline testing

When seeing a new neuro, what kind of testing did you get. MRI,s? Which ones? Brain, Cervical, Thorasic, Lumbar?

I saw a new Dr. and was only given a Brain MRI. I've had M.S a long time. There were no records from previous neuro.

Where were your lesions, in the past MRI's?

If you aren't having new symptoms and had lesions in the brain, that is most likely why. It wouldn't make sense to go willy nillie getting MRI's, if you remain asymptomatic-at the other levels.

Is there any hope of your records....ever....getting to the new doc? I'd have a serious concern of the new doc treating you blindly? Just assuming the previous docs lab tests, etc are normal or simply pointing to M.S., I'd be concerned.

Many MRI's and tests are taken and might be normal which can change at a later date to ABNORMAL and they really NEED the previous records to compare(and even measure progression) MRI's and ALL other tests to.

It is a means of measuring 'progression' rate or lack of it, by comparison. Yeh, the more i think on this, I'd be more concerned of my 'records' getting there!

If not, it would seem you may need to make sure, your records~ at the very least, ARE in YOUR possession. fed

Comment

Originally posted by golfore View Post
      When seeing a new neuro, what kind of testing did you get. MRI,s? Which ones? Brain, Cervical, Thorasic, Lumbar?

I saw a new Dr. and was only given a Brain MRI. I've had M.S a long time. There were no records from previous neuro.
      I just changed neuros several months ago...he ordered MRIs of brain, cervical and thoracic (I had had them a little over a year before.) I don't think they do lumbar MRIs for MS.

He ordered a VEP, a Sleep Study, and sessions at a Balance Center to evaluate gait and balance issues.

Evidently that's the regimen he uses for new MS patients.
      And at first I was a little questioning of all the new evaluations, they did prove very helpful and gave me/him
      new clues about my symptoms.

I've changed neuros in the past, and they just ordered the MRIs, but usually more than just the brain.

Comment

golfore: Do you have spinal lesions? If so, did you tell the new neuro about them? If not and you have no new symptoms that point to a spinal lesion then that is probably why you didn't get a spinal MRI of any kind. If you have had lesions in the past within the spine then I would call and remind the new neuro about them as they might want to add that in.

Take care
        Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

I had the same neuro of about the first 17 years. I don't remember ever having anything but brain MRI's. Only rarely did he order them.

When I changed to my current neuro, he only did a brain MRI. He orders a brain MRI every 6mo. I have been stable. I have lesions,, "black holes",, etc. But only numbness, fatigue, cog fog issues.

However I have been fully functional until I developed a "wobble" in my walk in December. Until I steadily declined, he did not get new MRI's until late January. There was no Cervical MRI to compare it to.

Comment

Fed Up,

I have copies to all recent testing,,, so when I find a new neuro I can give them to him/her.

Comment

Evening all.
              It makes no difference. MRIs etc, lesions etc, it's all just dumb luck. We're all living a dream (mainly that something, somewhere, somehow will fix this).

But we're brave. We know what the end feels like, and we soldier on.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                Evening all.
                It makes no difference. MRIs etc, lesions etc, it's all just dumb luck. We're all living a dream (mainly that something, somewhere, somehow will fix this).

But we're brave. We know what the end feels like, and we soldier on.
                What are you responding to? I'm always happy to have other MS'ers input,,, except when their response has nothing to do with the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by golfore View Post

However I have been fully functional until I developed a "wobble" in my walk in December. Until I steadily declined, he did not get new MRI's until late January. There was no Cervical MRI to compare it to.
                  That is MY concern of history and records. I've had at least 4 brain MRI's and 2 of cervical and Thoracic, in the past year...about to get a series of more, though. Mostly, all of them are for 'comparisons.'

I DO get lumbar MRI's, frequently, to check if my spinal stenosis has progressed OR it is M.S. With recent falls and decrease in abilities...there is Always a Concern of other issues and FINDING the difference, for me is--having had the same M.D.'s for a very long time and 'comparison' MRI's.

imho while thinking this over; IDK but, it would SEEM we should all have baseline MRI's for our entire spines. Who knows what the future will bring in Science and the ability to VIEW the difference.

Wow..that reminds me of a study I read yesterday about big progress in finding a specific protein MAY be related to M.S. and only M.S. in the spinal fluid. It was on Medscape, yesterday, if anyone snagged it? fed

Comment

Baseline Test Results

Golfore - In another recent thread you mentioned having a brain, cervical & lumbar T3 MRI. Couldn't those results serve as a baseline? By law you have a right to your medical records (with a few exceptions which are usually Psych related). If their is a problem getting the records from your Dr you can always go down the ladder and request the results from the Radiologist, and if that doesn't work contact the Hospital or Office where the MRIs were done.

I am in limbo and not seeking a Dx. I had all the tests originally suggested by GP and then Neurologists, this included a second opinion. For me I feel less is more, especially when it comes to medication and radiation (glowing in the dark is not a look I strive for)! I have made lifestyles changes which have helped a little bit.

Coming back around to your subject - I do think a baseline (including brain & spine) is important to have. If and when there are marked changes I would consider a follow-up MRI but have declined a 6 or 12 month MRI follow-up. I think Dr's often schedule tests just so patients stop bugging them.

I keep a file of all my test results in chronological order with simple notes on interpretations, this was suggested almost 18 years ago by my daughter's Pediatric Cardiologist because she was born with several Congenital Heart Defects and the Dr stressed the importance of taking responsibility for health, and understanding the defects & the process, that my baby had/has (she is thriving & you would never know today).

I hope this Dr ends up working out for you - M.
                    M.
                    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Maitrimama,

I do get and have the results from all the tests I have had over the 20+ years I have had M.S.

I don't think I ever had c-spine, t-spine, l-spine MRI's. Because I had such mild symptoms, I never thought to much about the testing I was getting.

Comment

Working...
                      X