Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gabapentin

Good morning everyone.

On my first day of a new prescription for gabapentin/neurotin. For anyone else that's on the same medication, did you notice things got worse before they got better?

I took my first dose last night. It's a very low dose. This morning muscle spasms are much worse. Just wondering if that's to be expected or if it is maybe just a coincidence.

Thanks for any insight you could give me.
    Echo
    DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

I did not notice anything getting worse, I did notice that it reduced my symptoms that it was prescribed for immediately.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

My answer is the same as Huntred. I'm on high doses.

Susie ;D

Diagnosed 6-28-14
      RRMS
      Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Gabapentin helps me with pain (burning or electric) and numb, buzzy sensation. My muscle spasms come and go and Gabapentin does nothing to make them worse or better as far as I can tell.

There is lots of advice here for help with spasms and spasticity.

Comment

Seriously works well for pain, but I take it on an as needed basis.

Makes my vision wonky if I take it for more than 2 days. Was recently given 100 mg capsules vs. 300 mg to see if that alleviates the vision issue.
          Katie
          "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
          "My MS is a Journey for One."
          Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

On Wednesday, when I saw my neuro, he gave me an Rx for gabapentin. As I told him then, pain is not an issue for me, I can deal with pain. It's lack of function that is driving me crazy.

And gabapentin certainly did not help! In fact, it made both my legs almost too weak to stand.

Thanks again for the insight! I'll talk to Doc again, maybe he will have another idea.
            Echo

Comment

One Other Thing

I will not drive when I'm taking this med. My eyes get blurry and I feel a bit loopy. Just a pre caution.

Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
              RRMS
              Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

If it's only for pain, then I really don't need it. I was hoping it would help with coordination and function.

I will have to talk to doc about it.
                Echo

Comment

It helps me with tingling, but it does absolutely nothing for pain, spasticity, or function. For me it's worth it at night because the tingling was keeping me awake, but it's not worth it during the day because it makes me so groggy.

Comment

Gabapentin was a nightmare drug for me. I'm still having withdrawals from this drug after quitting it cold turkey last week. Right now I severe depression, constant headaches, and ms hugs. I now manage pain with Advil(prescription level)

I have NOT had a good experience with any drugs from Teva.

Praying for the best.

Jola

Comment

Gabapentin was probably the worst drug I was ever prescribed for MS. It left me feeling a malaise that I couldn't shake did very little for pain and was expensive as all get out.

Then cause the rest wasn't enough it killed my sex drive and almost took my marriage down.

Been off it for 3 years and do not miss it one tiny bit.
                      Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Originally posted by Echo2099 View Post
                        Good morning everyone.

On my first day of a new prescription for gabapentin/neurotin. For anyone else that's on the same medication, did you notice things got worse before they got better?

I took my first dose last night. It's a very low dose. This morning muscle spasms are much worse. Just wondering if that's to be expected or if it is maybe just a coincidence.

Thanks for any insight you could give me.
                        I tried it before with no result either way. Hope it works for you.

Comment

Gabapentin Works For Me

Hi,
                          Gabapentin works for me.

Comment

Gabapentin is my good old standby. It made me a little sleepy at first but that equalized after about a week. It hels with my burny, itchy, tingly, wacky feels and does take the edge off my spasticity. I think it helped me gain some weight but I am getting a handle on that slowly.

Comment

Working...
                            X