Newly diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly diagnosed

Hello all. I was recently diagnosed with MS. I am currently an AGR soldier. The state DR does not want to initiate an MEB yet. He is concerned I will not meet the 30% disability requirement for retirement. I know that MS is rated by the VA at 30% so how does the Army determine the percentage? I've got almost nine active years and thirteen Guard years. I think he has my best interest at heart, but the stress of being a Readiness NCO drains me completely. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John
    Diagnosed RRMS April 2014
    Trying to be the best dad I can!

Being in the Guard can make this tricky.
    The rules aren't quite the same as being full-time active duty. The one thing I would offer is don't sign anything work-related without some kind of legal rep in the loop who's on your side.

You may also want to sit down with a VA service officer. Explain up front your diagnosis and your Guard and active duty time. They "might" be able to help or at least steer you in the right direction.

Comment

Newly diagnosed

Thanks for the reply. I am an active guard soldier. It's just like active duty, but we're based in the local community. I've been told and read that an MEB is required. The state dr doesn't want to initiate it just yet.

Comment

Well you hit the jackpot by being AGR. I'm Air Force so I can not answer your questions directly but can point you in the right direction.

First, you need to find a really good Army Personnelist and make them your new best friend. Do not disclose you have MS.

These are the questions I would be asking them.

1) Do I have enough time and points to retire as an AGR today. And if so, do I get a retirement paycheck immediately or do I have to wait until 60, 62, or 65.

2) With my current DIEMS date, active duty credit and points, what happens if I meet a medical evaluation board and the Army rates me out at less than 30%. This question is very important...at least in the AF and I am going to assume the Army is the same. Even though you are AGR...different rules apply than Active Duty. If your points come out less than a full 20 years and the Army rates you out at less than 30%...it could very well affect your retirement.

I think there is an exceptionally good reason the doctor is doing what they are doing. Army disability percentages and VA percentages are two different things. And even with the VA...you have to rate out at 50 percent with the VA...not Army, to get Concurrent Receipt.

Its a lot to think about and you have some serious research to do. I wish I could help you, but I know very little about The Army Personnel System and I would be afraid I would give you bad advice. But as an Air Force Personnel Officer, your doctors statement would give me pause...and in the end...you owe them a drink. That is one awesome doctor!

Best of luck to you.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Once again, Katie has a lot of good advice.
          I wish we could help you more, but the rules the Guard follows can be different from "straight time", sometimes even state-to-state.

A couple of things I could add:

1). Zip it. Keep the number of people who know about your condition small for now. That includes close friends and family. Make sure they understand why to keep this on the down-low. You're not holding back info as much as you're doing damage control until you understand the course of your disease and your career better. Try to make sure that if your command finds out, its because you or your Dr. told them. Not some "nosey Nate" who thinks he's doing the right thing or that its OK to live like a contestant on Survivor.

2). Do NOT neglect treatment! If we could wish away MS or ignore it, we would have done it a long time ago.
          Believe me, I tried.. It didn't work out too well.
          Just ask yourself if the Guard is worth sacrificing everything. I'm not going to play this down, sometimes the front line MS meds can kick like a mule until you build a tolerance to them. Its more than worth it if they work, trust me.

3). When in doubt, lawyer up. We really can't tell you what you should be doing, at least not legally or officially. Find someone you can trust who can.

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice. I go back to my neuro next week. I've been keeping a diary of my symptoms for a month or so. As of now only a select few people know. I was out for three weeks after I collapsed at home. This is what led to the initial diagnosis. I hope to make it at least two more years and then retire.

Comment

Working...
            X