Active Duty with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peanut3636 View Post
    All I needed was to here ONE individual was still serving with MS. I don't lay down and accept something until all options have been exhausted. I completly understand this MEB has a better chance of not working in my favor but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up. All I'm doing is educating myself on others MEB process and their outcomes.
    peanut, my husband is an MP in the USMC and he was diagnosed with MS in August 2009. Last year he went through the MEB process and they allowed him to stay in with no profiles or limitations. I think a lot of that was due to his motivation to stay in. Not only did his neurologist write a letter stating how minimal his problems due to MS have been, but his command also wrote a letter stating that he was highly motivated to remain in the USMC and that it would (essentially) be a shame for the USMC to lose him. (This was part of a standard letter verifying that he's been within high and weight standards and other basic admin stuff).

I'm sure, had he wanted out, they would've let him go with no argument. Even now, as he's having issues with hand numbness, they've just pulled him off the road and have him manning the desk (since he can't carry a weapon with a numb hand). They haven't even discussed a new MEB yet, opting to wait and see if a medication change might eliminate the issue.

So if you are motivated to stay in, I say fight it. Good luck!

Comment

p'nut,
      i have just sep from AD AF in march. i had the same story. 95% pt score, no days missed from work, e-5 as a maintainer (ammo), but what i was told the bottom line was, i was unable to deploy with my current treatment (avonex) with DoD doing the whole more with less program. thre is always talk of reclassing, but you have to prove you are fit fo duty in your current afsc before you can apply. so long story short, unless you know some one in afpc (o-5 or better) start making plans for med retirement. i have meet one guy with ms who was AD and was able to stay in. he was a pilot and was 16yr in. he reclassed and was able to stay in till 20.
      another web site i have found that is really packed with MEB info is
      www.pebforum.com
      has a link for ms there with lots of othes in DoD going through MEB. might find some pointers there..... i did

Comment

Hey Peanut

I am currently going through the MEB at Ft Sam, my PEBLO is good to go and takes calls from me for just about everything and gives me solid answers.
        I am currently Active Duty Guard in Bastrop Texas, as an AGR 19D48 (Scout Instructor) I am sitting unfit for duty with the MS.
        I agree with the guy that said be honest, I have been hard headded (notice I didn't say Hard Core)for quite sometime with regards to this M.S.
        I lost vision in my right eye monday for about 8 hours, just think if as a Scout Platoon Sergeant in Afghanistan climbing up a mountain or leading a patroll and bam my eye goes out or both go out, now Ive put Soldiers who are depending on my leadership to keep them alive in a worse predicament.
        Be honest with yourself, if they will offer a Reclass (i have been in to long 27 yrs) and you can do some admin job then Roger That and take it, but as a crew Chief on C-130 you need to be professional and make the right decision.
        This disease sucks, i have had 4 flare ups since diabnosed in June 2011, and brother you never know when or what they will be.
        Good luck and hit me up if you wanna chat my MEB is currently at Legal being gone over before I sign it and send it to the PEB.
        Joe.

Comment

Active MS / Active Army

I was diagnosed 3 years ago with MS and am still active army. I have been fortunate enough to have wonderful neurologists. My first started me on a very aggressive treatment plan which stabilized my symptoms. My new neurologist is having his hand forced to put me through a MEB but is coaching me through the COAD process. Do some research it is a way to stay on active duty with MS and Soldiers are getting them approved all the time. I will keep you updated with my MEB status.

Comment

Thanks for the recent posts guys. My MEB has been ongoing for three months now and hasn't even made it to AFPC. I understand the reality of the situation. I would never put myself in a bad situation with my career field. Currently I don't have any issues and haven't since being diagnosed two and a half years ago. I 100% understand this could change though. I have done tons of research and have found handfuls of both enlisted and officer active duty personnel that have been returned to duty without reclassification in jobs similar to mine. I've been in contact with many of them to educate myself on how to better my situation.
            I'm not saying people on this forum didn't fight to stay in so please don't take offense to my next comment. I've been told by my PEBLO office and those that have been separated and returned to duty that if your prognosis is good and you want to fight to stay in then the chances are high. A vast majority of those that were separated that I have talked to wanted to be medically retired and pushed for it. Who knows? Again I don't mean to offend anyone that fought a good fight and still was separated. I'll keep the status of my MEB updated. Thanks again.

Comment

Need some info too

Hey guys I have been reading the post here and everything has be really helpful for the most part. I am a pilot in the AF, been in for ten years. Four years ago I had a case of optic neuritis and the found lesions but tested negative on a spinal tap. I have been flying and have had no symptoms since then. A repeat MRI showed new lesions but I still have no symptoms. Just got the official Dx last week when the new spinal tap came back positive.
              I am trying to find out everything about the MEB, PEB, process. I have been reading other blogs as well. Also, I know that the FAA allows people with MS to fly but not the military. Still I want to fight for them. If anyone knows people who have kept there wings in civilian or military world I would love to contact them.
              Peanut let me know how it goes.

Comment

Jdwusaf,

I have a great person to connect you with that can help answer your questions! His name is Colonel Glen Downing at Keesler AFB. He was a pilot and was diagnosed with MS ten years ago and he is still serving (I don't think he is still flying though). He is a mentor for MS and is more than willing to help anyone he can. Google his name and you will find an AF article that was written on him. I hope this helps you on your journey and I wish you the best. I'll keep my process updated!

Comment

I also wanted to add for anyone that may come across this post that you can continue to serve at least in the AF with a diagnosis of MS. Obviously it is dependent upon your current condition and how it affects your ability to perform your duties. I have slowly been making contact with both enlisted and officers that have been able to continue service. All have been placed on a C-2 profile which limits deployment but doesn't prevent it. They now waiver C-2 profiles. Just in case anyone is worried about being separated due to not being able to deploy. I wanted to add this because a lot has changed in the MEB process since the beginning of 2012. Keep up the good fight everyone if you want to continue service. I'm rooting for you!

Comment

Hi I'm new member of MS world

I was Dx in 2009 and still servicing (USAF). Yeap, I have a C-2 code and haven't been deployed "yet". I've been in for 15 1/2 years and my biggest fear is being separated and not medical retired if the AF see fit to get rid of me! In the last year or two, I was afraid to tell the Doc how I really feel b/c I was scared I'll get the boot...I love the AF!

This past Mon I let the flood gates open and told my neurologists all my symptoms....she could tell I've been holding back. I've been through the MEB process but now I just do the annual RILO which I'm due for in Aug. All I can do now is stay motivated, pass my PT tests and show no weakness in my job performance.

Comment

That's great to hear. My MEB is currently at the VA and has been stuck in the review phase for the last month. I was told not to expect to hear anything until at least November. Oh the wait! I can only hope and pray I get returned to duty with a C-2 code. My base PEBLO office believes I will since I currently don't have any issues and haven't for so long. Thanks so much for sharing this info, it gives me hope!!!

Comment

Originally posted by peanut3636 View Post
                        That's great to hear. My MEB is currently at the VA and has been stuck in the review phase for the last month. I was told not to expect to hear anything until at least November. Oh the wait! I can only hope and pray I get returned to duty with a C-2 code. My base PEBLO office believes I will since I currently don't have any issues and haven't for so long. Thanks so much for sharing this info, it gives me hope!!!
                        Hey Peanut, how did everything work out for you?

Comment

Starting 2nd RILO for MEB/PEB

Peanut3636, I've got 10 years on AD and was diagnosed with RRMS in June 2013 and went through the RILO process, but I was returned to duty with an ALC-C2 by AFPC without going through the process.

This January my numbness/tingling started getting worse, along with severe headaches and 2 additional lesions on my MRI, so my RILO package will likely get submitted to AFPC tomorrow.

Since I didn't go through the full-up MEB/PEB process, I don't know what I should expect either. Everything I read in the AFIs makes it seem as if I should expect a minimum VASRD rating of 30%, which should qualify me for medical retirement. I'm not as worried about the possible career change as I am about keeping my medical benefits so I can take care of this crappy disease .

Stay in touch and maybe we can swap stories and help each other out.

Comment

Originally posted by duncizm View Post
                            I was Dx in 2009 and still servicing (USAF). Yeap, I have a C-2 code and haven't been deployed "yet". I've been in for 15 1/2 years and my biggest fear is being separated and not medical retired if the AF see fit to get rid of me! In the last year or two, I was afraid to tell the Doc how I really feel b/c I was scared I'll get the boot...I love the AF!

This past Mon I let the flood gates open and told my neurologists all my symptoms....she could tell I've been holding back. I've been through the MEB process but now I just do the annual RILO which I'm due for in Aug. All I can do now is stay motivated, pass my PT tests and show no weakness in my job performance.
                            With 15.5 years you are going to get a retirement. Anything over 10 will usually get a retirement now. I was a personnel officer and I too met an MEB, was returned to duty without restrictions. It can be done and I made it to 24 years.

I also recommend ALL of you active duty AF email Glen Downing via you .mil address. He got diagnosed a few years after I did. He would definitely have the best recommendations...that are more up to date than mine. I do not know him personally, but know people that do and am told he is a really great guy. Additionally he has access to resources that can answer all your questions.

Best of luck to all of you.
                            Katie
                            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                            "My MS is a Journey for One."
                            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                            X