Hair Styling Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hair Styling Help

My hair falls about 2 or 3 inches past my shoulders, and I would like to keep it this length as long as possible. It used to be down to the small of my back, but when I had a flare almost three years ago I lost all strength and coordination in my left arm and couldn't even brush it properly. I regained most of what I lost, but that arm is still less coordinated and tires easily.

Some days now I do fine blow drying it, straightening it, or waving it, but often I just don't have the strength or stamina in my arm to do a good job. I do have a chair in the bathroom so that I can sit if I get tired, but I still struggle because of my arm/s.

Can anyone offer tips, tricks, product, or tool recommendations that might make styling easier? I don't like short hair on me. My hair has to be at least an inch or two past my chin, and I don't like pulling it back in a pony tail. In addition, I don't really have the money to get it styled every week. It's ornery and wouldn't hold a style more than three days anyway.
    Portia

wall mounted

Get a wall mounted hair dryer or mount your own with a holder. This can limit some of your arm tiredness. I do not dry my hair at home (except for air) because of this. I will do it at the YMCA where there is wall mounted dryers.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Stand for dryer

I have use of onlyone arm. While I was still working I kept my hair longer and would blow it dry with my blow dryer attached to a stand on the counter. I got mine at the drug store. I'm sure you could find something on line also.

KK

Comment

I have long hair too. Find the absolute best stylist you can and get a spiral body wave. Big, huge ringlets...not the poodle curls. After a few weeks...it is beautiful.

Wash...put a few products in...let air dry. Next day, sprite with a spray bottle and go.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I used to straighten my hair w/ a blowdryer and brush attached. I tried one of those w/ a rotating brush but my hair's too curly. But you can switch arms. Now I like my curls. I agree, put some product on it and you're done!

There are also irons that work on wet hair but are probably damaging.

I used to have a shag (aka mullet) :-) Was such a pain. I told Zack to pls give me cut that works w/ my natural hair and he did!

Comment

Same as KatieM

I did exactly what Katie did and is making my life much easier. The squirt bottle the next day really does the trick. I do put my hair up too!

Try it! I can guarantee you......you'll like it.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
            RRMS
            Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

thanks!

I've considered growing my hair out. Right now it's layered and I'm trying to let it get pretty much all one length. Not sure if my hair will hold a perm, but I'm willing to try again. It's not quite as thick as it used to be.

I'd also never heard of a wall mounted dryer before. I looked online, and there are a few different options. Great advice guys
              Portia

Comment

A long stylish perm sounds so practile and very much in style now. If I didn't have an aversion to curly hair, I'd go with that. As a child I had THE worst home perm ever. To this day the closest I get to a curley hair style is a up flip on the ends of my hair, versus a flip under bob.

Layered hair styles always seemed too high maintainence for me, long before full time MS. I stayed with a classic, tried and true, low maintainence, longer length 'bob'. Required 1 or 2 minor touch-ups during a long busy work day.

Since full time MS, washing my hair, heat from blow drying and hair straightner, fatigue in general, even the classic low maintainence bob is exhausting, more than I can do.

I've always used a combo of air drying, with minimal blow drying to avoid hair damaging heat. I used the jumbo hot rollers, now a straightner, and my hair was usually good for a couple of work days.

Please don't laugh, but I did and still do try to sleep with minimal amount of my hair under my head. It helps avoid morning 'bed head', and low maintenance touch-up styling, if any, the next day.

In all honesty, I find myself resorting to the dreaded pony tail with a discreate low/small poof on the crown of my head on those days when energy is limited.

Sometimes I add long whispy bangs as a diversion away from the pony tail. The pony tail is the closest I get to a respectable hair style most days.

Hope you find something low maintience with max style.

Comment

Perhaps clip in extensions? You can style them easily on your lap and then you just clip them into your hair and tadaaa longer hair! But you can take them out on days when you're struggling and just keep the short hair.

Comment

A messy bun is my go-to style. Grab your hair like you are going to put it in a ponytail, twist it until it starts to twist around itself. Wrap it around the ponytail and use your ponytail elastic to hold it all in place. Some days are "messier" than others!

Comment

I finally had to give in to my curls... until I bought an expensive, but worth it, flat iron. I just let it dry then flat iron it straight. Takes less than 10 minutes, sometimes less than 5.

My hairdresser cut it so I can go curly or straight, it's just below my shoulders so when I go curly I don't look like a Greek statue!
                      Jen
                      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I love long hairs but sadly when I started using natural hair care products my hair fall problem started a lot. My hairs completely lost their strength. Then I started using toppik shampoo and my hair loss problem solved in just few months. Now I make best hair styles in my hairs with using I always use now branded products in my hairs.

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**

Comment

Here's what I use

I have advanced PPMS and can only use one arm. However, I have had success with the Conair Infiniti Pro Spin Airbrush This is a combination hairdryer and rotating brush and my short curly hair is left with a look that approximates a blowout with a round brush. I have been through three of these dryers in the last five years but I really enjoy my straight hair!

Comment

Working...
                          X