VA Disability vs SSDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VA Disability vs SSDI

If you get VA disability is that subtracted from the amount of SSDI that you may qualify for? Or do those two stand completely seperate of each other?
    I am in the process of filing for a service connected disability right now. After which I am going to file for SSDI hoping to have it expedited since I am already receiving disability.
    This thought just to came to my mind.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Your VA disability compensation will be federally tax free and should not interfere with SSDI. A court has previously ruled that the Veterans’ Benefits Act obligatory compensation for injuries to service members. Even for more short or long term disability policies, VA disability cannot be used as an offset.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. That was a lot of help.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
      Babe Ruth

Comment

I have been on both going on 3 yrs now, as I am not married any longer and no other income I pay 0 taxes, NC dosent tax SSDI.
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Working...
        X