Tysabri and breast cancer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tysabri and breast cancer?

I was on Tysabir for 13 months.I had my last infusion in Feb. at the MS Center in Atlanta. Two weeks later I found a lump in my breast. I am post memopausal. It turned out to be inflitrating ductal carcomia. I had a lumpdectomy in Feb.and the cancer was removed. I will start radiation next week. Then start Arimidex for 5 years. Until Feb. I never had a bad mamogram or pap test. I was always healthy. I found the lump Between a yearly mamogram.

Has anone else developed cancer after taking Tysabri for over a year? Is there a connection? The last 5 years I have tried Rebif(extremey high liver enzymes in 6 months),Copaxon that did nothing, Beteseron that made me feel sick all the time and now Tysabia.

Someone told me that some of the MS medicines I can not take now because of a cancer diagonosis. What medicines are left? Am I out of options? I am 55 years old and in good health. I see Dr. Thrower in May.

MS and Breast Cancer

About 6 years ago I was diagnosed with RRMS and have been on Rebif since then. 2 1/2 years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer- Stage IIa, grade 3. I had a mastectomy followed by 16 rounds of chemotherapy. No radiation, and no hormones such as Tamoxifen or Arimidex as I am triple negative. I have also had 2 reconstruction surgeries. I am 54 and am in the first in my family to have either MS or breast cancer.

My oncologist knew from Day 1 that I had MS and consulted with my neurologist about my treatment plan. To the best of my knowledge one chemo drug was altered because of the MS. I continued to take Rebif during the first several rounds of chemo then took a Rebif "sabbatical." Once all the chemo infusions were over I re-started the Rebif. My neurologist was happy. Me - not so much.

"Someone" told you that you could not take certain drugs for MS after a cancer diagnosis. Unless that person was a neurologist or a medical oncologist I would not pay any attention to that advice. Talk to your doctors. That is what they go to medical school for and get paid for.

Looks like we have hit the medical jackpot with both MS and breast cancer doesn't it?

I wish you continued luck with both the MS and maybe even more so with breast cancer.

Comment

tysabri

Dr. Thrower does not think the cancer is related, but I am still concerned. They don't want to do anything till the radiation treatments are finished.I have been diagonised 5 years in Feb. That's my luncky month-HaHA!!!
      I did hit the jackpot. The breast cancer was found and removed in Feb. I had PET scan to look for other problems. Would you believe it showed a bizare teratanoma (demoid cyst) that probably had been there for a long time. It had HAIR ! Yuk. My GYN doctor removed it. It was the size of a baseball. He also did a complete hysterectomy 2 1/2 weeks ago. There was NO sign of cancer.Thank God. Ms at 50, Caner at 55, 60 has to be good NEWS!

Comment

Tysabri and breast cancer

I was diagnosed in June of 2012 with MS after years of tests to find out what was wrong. I literally thought I was loosing my mind. I started Tysabri in July 2012. I had to stop in Nov. 2012, because all my veins collapsed. I was put on Aubagio which turned my whole life around. Trust me I still suffer from my symptoms but they are so much better than they where.. 3 months later, I was diagnosed in Feb 2013 with breast cancer and I had a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery followed by 8 rounds of chemo and then radiation.
        1.I have heard Tysabri collapses veins
        2.I have heard Tysabri causes breast cancer in people with BRAC1 or BRAC2 positive tests. Why didn't they test me? My mom passed from breast cancer when I was 10 and my Aunt (moms sister had it 2 times) My history should have raised a red flag. I am healthy and always did my yearly mammography-since I was 26. Never had anything... To all who are thinking of Tysabri, ask your doctor about this and insist. I hope someone finds out how to let everyone know about this. Save the horrible road you go down fighting cancer with MS

Comment

I just wanted to wish you luck, you have such a positive attitude which is amazing and probably so good for you on so many levels!

Jen Dx'd 5/11
          "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Originally posted by Donna50 View Post
            I was on Tysabir for 13 months.I had my last infusion in Feb. at the MS Center in Atlanta. Two weeks later I found a lump in my breast. I am post memopausal. It turned out to be inflitrating ductal carcomia. I had a lumpdectomy in Feb.and the cancer was removed. I will start radiation next week. Then start Arimidex for 5 years. Until Feb. I never had a bad mamogram or pap test. I was always healthy. I found the lump Between a yearly mamogram.

Has anone else developed cancer after taking Tysabri for over a year? Is there a connection? The last 5 years I have tried Rebif(extremey high liver enzymes in 6 months),Copaxon that did nothing, Beteseron that made me feel sick all the time and now Tysabia.

Someone told me that some of the MS medicines I can not take now because of a cancer diagonosis. What medicines are left? Am I out of options? I am 55 years old and in good health. I see Dr. Thrower in May.
            I was looking for something else in the Tysabri section and I saw your post and thought maybe I wrote it and forgot . I'm Donna too. I've been on Tysabri for 3 years. I'm 52 post-menapausal and I have a lump in my breast.
            I don't have a family history of breast cancer. I've gone for a mammogram and ulrasound and tomorrow is the biopsy . Can Tysabri be the cause?? Once I get a full diagnosis I'll fully involve my neuro. My last Tysabri was Sunday a week ago.
            Dx 1/86 at age 23
            Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
            Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

Tysabri and the oral meds for MS can lower our immune system, which then can mean higher rate for infections.

So, knowing that, I wouldn't see why cancer would be off that list?
              I'm not a doctor, I read side effects of meds as I'm sure most of us do.

Definitely talk to your neuro about any concerns w/ meds

TC

Comment

Working...
              X