Weight loss anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampyra?

My PCP was worried that I was losing weight two years ago. I don't have a huge appetite and can hardly ever eat full portions in restaurants. But when we looked into all my meds, I had started taking Ampyra about three months before the weight loss. It's not an amphetamine, but it can "act" like an amphetamine and curb appetite, according to the neurologist. "Eureka!" my doctor said, and once I made an effort to eat more between meals, my weight stabilized. I also have IBS, so am cautious about cream sauces and the like, which can aggravate matters; that keeps the weight down, also. Hope this rings a bell.

Comment

Just in case you haven't noticed, there's a weekly check-in thread here for people who are trying to lose weight.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=132633

ShrinkKaren posts it as a "sticky" thread every week in the Basic Wellness Section. New members are always welcome!
      MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

aisunnen, Interesting! I am taking 4-AP which is similar to Ampyra but I have always had a good appetite. I wonder if it increases my metabolism. Hmm!

agate, we are trying to gain weight.

Comment

misslux, some of the people who posted in this thread sound to me as if they're interested in losing weight.

Comment

Okay I wasn't sure if you read the other posts as the bulk of the thread was about unwanted weight loss which may not seem like a problem (I've had people IRL comment that I'm "lucky" ) but is definitely a big health issue.

Comment

A very serious problem, misslux!

And yes, I'm pretty sure MS does cause weight loss. I've seen some people with MS who are much too thin.

I was just trying to give a boost to the weight loss check-in thread for anyone who might not be aware of it.

Comment

Comment

I am so thankful to all of you who have answered this thread. Either way, loss or gain, it's a scary thing. I don't take too many meds... mostly Klonapin, Baclofen and Neurontin. I wonder if any of those can cause weight loss.

Oh.. I take Synthroid for my thyroid. When I was first dx with hyperthroid I really lost the pounds... 20 of them! All at once. This was just after a serious intestinal surgery. I assumed it was the surgery, but found out it was the thyroid. Then I had radiation to kill the little bugger and went hypo. I expected to GAIN weight, but never did. Oh I put on a few pounds, but they came back off.

Anyway, unexplained weight loss is troubling. My last MRI of my hip/leg showed some funky thing with the bone marrow which we are still looking into. The Rheumy doctor does not think it is anything at this time.

Wishing you all healthy weight and better days.
                  Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I'm just curious... how many that have answered this post are women? Men?

Jen
                    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I lost about 30 lbs between my 1st sx and starting Copaxone, but that was almost certainly due to significant dietary changes. Since then I've stayed in the same 5 lb range.
                      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I used to be a Size 12 (AUS). I am now a Size 8. Scrawny.

The irony is that back in the day I would have loved to be a thin little thing. Also my legs are now alarmingly stick-like.

Always thought I had fat thighs.

I still eat the same.

Comment

Medications?

Hey all,

I find this post timely as I have been dealing with unexplained weight loss for a little bit now.

My weight had been stable at 190-200 lbs for years but about 8 months ago it started to melt away. Over a period of 5-6 months I lost 30 lbs.
                          I was also ravenously hungry and couldn't eat enough to feel satiated or full. It basically felt like I was constantly starving...

My doctor started talking cancer (which scared the *** out of me, by the way) and put me through a regimen of tests. Happily, everything came back clear for cancer.

We started to investigate the medications I am on. Two have potential impacts on weight:

Modafinil (Alertec) has anorexia as a side effect, but it seems more to do with a loss of appetite.

Tecfidera, has a few GI issues identified as side effects. While weight loss is not identified as a side effect, it is so new it may not be identified yet. My weight loss also started fairly coincidentally(?) to the start of my Tecidera.

In consultation with my Neuro, we decided to take me off of both of those medications to see if there was any improvement. Three months since coming off, my weight has stabilized and my hunger has eased a bit. I am still sitting at 30 lbs below where I started, but it looks like something has changed.
                          While I do not like being off some sort of DMD, I would rather not be taking a medication that caused starvation.

My GP has said that if medication damaged my intestines (some how), it will take time for them to heal and start absorbing nutrients properly.

I wanted to add my 2 cents worth to the conversation.

Cheers,

Arthur
                          " An eye for an eye; and soon the whole world is blind" -- Mahatma Ghandi

Comment

Good question. I was a size 10 (US) now I wear a 6. My weight is stable for now...

Comment

I suspect your Graves disease (aka hyperthyroidism) may be, at least PART, of the cause of your wt loss.
                              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I lost a bunch of wt a few times, since my MS. At one point my family and friends got really worried. Unfortunately NOW I wish I still had some of that "skinniness". Good grief, someone stop the Merry-Go-Round, I want off.
                                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
                                X