wheelchair repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheelchair repair

I have had a basic wheelchair that we use when we go places that would be too much walking for me, like a Brewer's game or the state fair. The front wheels (casters) need to be replaced. So far I have not had any luck finding replacement parts. It's a Guardian. On line I sent an e-mail to Sunrise Medical and they responded casters were no longer available. Sure didn't think the chair was that old--bought in 2004! Store where I bought it is looking into them for me but I haven't heard back yet. They first suggested just getting a new chair

Anyone ever need to repair their chair casters?

Toot
    toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
    Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

I would give a call to your local wheelchair vendor. They ought to have the ability to repair it
    GG

Comment

Wheelchairs are a bit like TVs now. Have something wrong after a year or so? Buying a new one just might be easier than repairing.

However, a good DME supplier that deals with wheelchairs can take a look. The chair you have may not be made anymore, so the manufacturer will likely tell you you're out of luck. Casters, though, aren't always a model specific part. There are many casters you can buy that might fit your chair and a WC dealer should be able to tell you if that's the case.

You said the casters are the problem. Did you mean the wheels, the forks or both? The reason I ask is if you have to replace the wheels alone, you can go from $16ish up into the $80 range. Then you have the cost of the forks if they're needed. If you're talking about a truly basic chair, you could conceivably buy a new basic chair for the cost of replacing the casters and/or forks. Plus, unless you do the switch yourself, there's the cost of the repair work.

The suggestion to buy a new WC isn't really out of line. Check with your health insurance. They may cover repairs or the purchase of a new chair. You'd need an rx from your dr, but that isn't usually an issue. Good luck!

Comment

waiting for items

I contacted my local vender and she fould replacement wheels. Of course they are on back order but at least I don't have to buy a whole new chair.

Toot
        toot

DX 1986 currently on TY

Comment

Got my wheels

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Got the coaster end of February and my husband put then on right away. Now we're ready to go to Brewer's gams and State Fair. If this weather every changes

Toot
          toot

DX 1986 currently on TY

Comment

replacement wheel

Just 'blew' a wheel this past weekend - the plastic mag spoke broke on a bad bump as I was being pushed (no damage to the fork). Wheelchair is old and discontinued.

Searched the internet for replacement front wheels/casters and found sites that seem to have choices around $20-$50 each. Now just working on the measurements to order the correct size.

Comment

Working...
            X