Am I eligible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I eligible

I used to work as an Esthetician which is skincare and I have a lot of spasticity problems with my hands. I had a baby and have been not working for almost 1.5 years. I'm nervous bout the idea of going back to work being that it makes it very difficult to perform my job. Would I be eligible to collect disability? Thank you

SSDI depends on your work credits, and need your ms neuro support.

I had to have 15 yr work history, luckily I had that much. I'm in VT so may depend on the state u live in.

You could always contact SSI online or by phone for more info.

Comment

Wookie, I can understand why you are nervous. Employers today are not the same as they were years ago. Now, most have zero mercy. It only took one flare-up for me to be fired.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Was also looking for the attorney's response as well. Thanks

Comment

Nobody can tell you if you are "eligible" for SSDI or even give you an idea as you did not describe your limitations and restrictions which it is all about. You also need your neuro onboard. With respect to having enough work credits you can simply call social security and ask. It is all about what limitations and restrictions (symptoms) prevent you from performing any job.

Comment

I did list about having limiting use pain and spasticity in my hands and my job is performing facials and massage all day. I was just looking for some tips /advice from the attorney that posts to this board.

Comment

Hi, everyone. Apologies to everyone for the delayed responses. I will get to your posts.

Wokieland - whether or not you would qualify for benefits based upon your impairments depends upon many factors, which cannot be handled online here in a brief post. Certainly, a significant diminishment in the ability to use your bilateral upper extremities may be basis of a disability claim. What other symptoms do you have? Are you currently in treatment? What does your neurologist say about your functioning? How old are you? What is the work that you have performed for the past 15 years? Each of these questions will inform the decision of an attorney as to whether or not to represent you.

I recommend that you contact an attorney who practices in this area of law to help you determine the best course of action for you. Let me know if you have questions about how to find a representative.

Rich
              Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Rich thank you for your reply!

Yes I've been on treatment for 4 years and mostly suffer with numbness and tingling in my extremities as well as fatigue the lovely l'hermittes down my spine and cognitive issues with concentration and focus. My neuro is obviously aware of my issues.

I'm 38 and I've been working full time since I'm 20. Of course there have been some gaps in employment and I' have not been in the same field my entire career. The past ten years I was a corporate recruiter and was laid off at the end of 2009 when unemploymebt was at its high. That's when I was diagnosed and at that time decided the best thing for me would be to learn a new trade being that my concentration and focus was also suffering handling a full time job.

So I went to school and earned a license in nj for skincare. I worked part time in that field and was having a hard time functioning with my spasticity numbness and pain in my hands. I became pregnabt and had my baby in June of 2013 and have beden home since.

I guess my next step would be to contact my dr and discuss with her right ? I'm just not sure that my work experience /years worked is long enough at my age. I would accept a suggestion on an attorney in nj. Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X