Is My a Daughter Getting Tired of Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is My a Daughter Getting Tired of Me?

Hi. Yesterday, my daughter became annoyed because I didn't feel like walking around the grocery store with her. I gave her my credit card and the grocery list. I told her I would sit in the car. My legs felt like tires were wrapped around them. This was our 2nd stop of the morning. She commented that I was getting lazy and stormed out of the car.

My children are the loves of my life. I spend more time with my daughter than my son because she VOLUNTEERS to go most places with me.

During the afternoon, she was cooking and commented, "you can help me. You are not sick. I reminded her that I cook, maybe twice per year, for the last several years. Cooking has never (in her lifetime) been my thing. My husband used to cook before he passed away. Now, my daughter enjoys cooking and VOLUNTEERS to cook periodically.

Obviously, I need to talk to her further. Those comments clearly let me know how she feels. And I guess I was surprised and somewhat hurt. She knows me better than anyone on earth.

If I don't talk to her about it I am concerned that animosity will begin to surface between us. I LOVE my daughter too much to allow that to happen. She has always had my back!

I have always been very independent and never wanted to be a burden on anyone (including my children). I don't want to feel like I am taking advantage of her or blocking her life.

Thank you for listening!

Talk to your daughter about what's going on. Maybe she's noticed you are more tired and is scared about your health.
    Kids show fear in many ways including anger.

Maybe plan a nice day together with activities that won't tire you. Go to a movie or dinner.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion AriD!

Comment

Hi Ev,
        I have a daughter also. She helps me out a lot. My husband and I are looking to move. I would love to find a home out by her. She is currently 45 min. from me.
        Does your grocery store have scooters? You can go grocery shopping together. Your daughter can push the cart while you ride the scooter. If you would like to help your daughter in the kitchen, sit on a stool or chair and help that way. It's a good bonding time too.
        I don't think you daughter is getting tired of you. Just learn how to do things together that will be a little easier for you.

Comment

Working...
        X