Introducing myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing myself

Hi! I'm married and have two teenagers, two dogs and a cat. I love my family and they help keep me strong. I was diagnosed in May 2012 but had MS symptoms I just dismissed beginning a year prior to my diagnosis. They were sensory, fatigue, and blurriness. Then over the course of a couple of weeks in late 2011, I had some I coud not dismiss. The Doctor I saw thought it could be helped with Physical therapy. Luckily the PT suggested I see a Neurologist and my Doctor took their suggestion. I've been taking copaxone every day since Feb 2012. The shots are just a mild annoyance for me but I haven't had a relapse since I started. I started exercising and lifting weights more as a way to convince myself that my body is still strong and healthy, the way that I saw myself before MS. I have some sensory things that come and go and can't help but wonder each time if it will progress into something much worse. I'm still working full time and hope that I'll be able to for a long time, but don't know. I'm hoping to meet others here who have found a way to stay positive through their experience.

Amie,

Glad you found us but sorry to hear you are a part of this MSonster disease.

I turned 60 this year. When I was dx, the neuro said, with my Hx, I probably had MS since my mid thirties. And I think he was right. For many, many years before my Dx I had a lot of symptoms that I just sort of ignored, or they would come and go, or my docs said were caused by horomones, not enough sleep, or too much stress.

In 2007, after not being able to ignore the Sx any longer, I saw a neuro and he Dx me with RRMS. Yes, I now have gait issues, fatigue, balance problems, etc. BUT, it has taken 20 some years to get to where I am today.

My point is.... we don't know what will happen tomorrow. Even those without MS don't know what tomorrow will bring. Tomorrow happens despite or in spite of us.

One of my favorite quotes that keeps me going is:

“Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.” ― Corrie Ten Boom.

Don't get me wrong... I'm no Pollyanna. Some days this damn disease just ticks me off royally and I scream and swear at it like a drunken sailor. I feel sad, and mad, and I have a little pity party for myself. Then I do some praying, get some hugs from my DH, and stop letting worry take away what strength I have left for today. So far, it works for me.

I hope you find your strength today!
    Echo
    DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

thank you

Thank you Echo for your reply. It made me feel better. I was comforted by the fact that you've had the disease for a long time but it has not seemed to take from your spirit. Congratulations on turning 60! I appreciate your taking the time to show me some kindness and share wisdom.

Comment

pity parties are awesome

glad your feeling better amie!

i like your outlook echo

the phrase pity party is amusing. i wonder if the website admin could add an emoticon of a little sad face with a party hat on it. we could use it in multiples so it becomes a pity party.

how are you today? etc
        ---------
        Wishing everyone luck and as many good days as possible.

Comment

Pity is a bad reason to party

No pity parties for me please!

Comment

Hi Amie, I have had a positive experience with COpaxone. I've been on it for 5 of the 7 years I've had MS, only 2 relapses (Jan /08 and Jan /09). I hope it works as well for you... your "no pity party" attitude is great!
            Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

WELCOME TO MS WORLD AMIE1!!!!!!!! we are glad you found us, but sorry why. As you will see members here are warm and caring. There are many positive stories here as well. Any questions you have, please ask. Good luck.
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Welcome

Hi Amie,

Welcome to MSWorld.. I'm glad you found this site and I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.

There is no question I have that this site has not already answered. I use the search option alot.
                limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Comment

Working...
                  X