Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Striking a balance between Pollyanna unrealistic outlook and excessive negativity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Striking a balance between Pollyanna unrealistic outlook and excessive negativity?

Hi, I thought I posted this, but can't find it anywhere and suspect I took so long to write it--my first post--that I timed out and it disappeared instead:

Hi,

I am in the process of finding out how bad it is, treatment options, etc. This is my 3rd medical shock in 3 years, and I am almost out of juice to cope.

Over the last 3 years I have learned I have:

... a genetic problem called "Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome" that disables many people but is fairly mild in me, plus

[B]...CVID, an immunodeficiency that requires monthly IV infusions and disables some people but is fairly mild in me (tho' treatment is the same, in time and cost and side effects), and I already had

...Interstitial Cystitis, a painful incurable bladder disease that disables some people, and has greatly damaged my quality of life since age 11, but is relatively mild compared to those for whom it is fully disabling.

Now the MS is fairly mild, but it appears I have had it for years (which explains how I can be middle-aged and have the --I hope!--RRMS vs PPMS or SPMS--don't know yet) and I am entering a phase of worse and more frequent episodes...

Meanwhile I was just recovering financially from disastrous medical bills from 6 years back (surgery gone wrong) that almost cost me my house, and a whole lot more...dropped out of grad school, etc. Just this month I was reaching a point where I could stop holding my breath for the first time in 8 years...stop just surviving and actually LIVE again.

I saved my house from foreclosure, just bought a newer car (my old being 21 years old!), gone back to school, and still work FT. It's hard, but I thought with careful pacing and prioritizing, I could do it. I hate my current 8-year job, and have gone back to school in a field I'm not crazy about, so that I can get a grad degree in it, and escape my current role...I have just come to the end--2 classes left--of the under-grad 2nd degree (which I didn't want, but had to have to prepare for grad school). In fact, I've been doing my grad applications for a month now!

I am exhausted, terrified I'll spend all the money and time (3 more years), and get my hopes up for school changing my life, and then have it all go South yet again, with it almost too late to try again in my early 50's(!)...I am both wanting some shorter work shifts (not officially allowed), and ADA support from work, but scared to tell them lest they pounce on anything resembling "cognitive decline".

They have not been nice about the IC, and my IFMLA hours-per-year allotment is getting low; it will be up to them to keep me on or not if I max out, so demanding or even begging for allowances of any kind is very risky.

I know I will not be okay with being grateful I can still work, etc., if it means I have to keep this health-damaging, soul-crushing, stullifyingly boring, but still very demanding, detail-oriented, high-pressure and stressful job, nor be able to recover financially from the burden of student loans if I can't earn more with a higher degree by finishing grad school...nor even get my mortgage out from "underwater (negative equity)" if I have to stop school now and live on my current income--or less, if my hours decrease.

I've just been reassigned to a work team with a supervisor who prides herself on catching errors other supervisors miss, and in axing those others would be too soft-hearted to let go, by catching every error they make, and pressuring them to leave or "paper-trailing" them out the door. And while I have been praised for clinical judgment and client rapport, productivity is job #1 there, and mine is mediocre.

I have family who care, two sisters in a nearby state, but one is disabled for 20 years now from an MS-like condition. It seems insensitive to whine about my symptoms and situation in the light of that; although she is fully mobile, etc. and just can't hold a job, she suffers poverty and pain for it, and has lost part of her sight.

The other is great (to my undying gratitude) when you're sobbing the day/hour you first learn the diagnosis, as I did last week. But she is illness-phobic since childhood, due to a traumatic experience with our mother's health. So she disappears after that first day or 2, avoiding even routine contact, or what could be called "follow-up check-ins" to see if you're still okay, or learn your next step in treatment/life-planning.

(She doesn't do it on purpose, and I know she loves me; but her health is generally pretty good, though not great, and she has always felt guilty about this. She has also, in the past, usually been very uneasy, and even put off by, or scornful of, others' medical issues, especially if they seem needy, whiny, or to be using them as "excuses" not to meet life's demands.

...And when she can bear to listen, she is often unilaterally, sometimes unrealistically, hearty in her "positive outlook" comments and prognoses, to the point that you realize she's not going to let you entertain the idea you won't be "JUST FINE" and "AROUND FOREVER"--at least not where she can bear to hear.

You might hear, too, you might be glad that you have some aspects of the disease because of "side benefits". An example would be losing your sense of smell and never having to experience nasty stinky smells ever again. Never mind that you can't smell flowers, clean clothes, a baby's skin, or woodsmoke ever again, either. She tries to be no-nonsense practical, plus light-hearted and funny, but sometimes it's just...not. Not the right time, not realistic, and for sure not funny.

...And that's really hard, because in other areas of life, she's the one I go to for level-headed, humorous and practical advice and shared opinions about other things...and I offer her the same in return, but am able to deal with illness and fears others, including she, might have--as she cannot.)

I need to hear from other MID-LIFE NURSES, or medical people, especially, but all of you who are hoping to keep working, can't imagine --yet--NOT doing so, but don't have support, nor financial help. After a decade of agonizing 55-60 hours/week over-time, work abuse, financial shame and terror, etc., etc., all of which probably caused both the CVID and MS, I am finally getting past it, and very scared it's all coming right back again.

I was just re-blossoming, you could say, albeit much older, and sometimes looking and feeling it, from all these medical disasters. I was just cautiously enjoying the renewal of just HAVING the luxury of financial and occupational hopes and dreams, and am terrified they--I--will crash and burn AGAIN....I'm so alone, as there is no one I can tell yet in my private life, nor at work.

I have some friends, but due to my dreadful schedule, and having been new in the city when it all crashed, I have no close friends here (yet), nor any casual ones whom I can trust not to blab. Maybe even avoid me, or who knows what. I've been dating a little, for the first time in years, but it's too soon for sharing.

I had just been planning to get back out there, once these last 2 under-grad courses are finished, and make some REAL friends, with shared interests, volunteer, write more poetry, etc. I still will, but...

I have a counselor who---ironic laugh--was hired to help me manage the CVID at work and without letting it ruin my dreams. (It seems so secondary and minor now, though it is itself a risk factor for MS.) I live in mid-east Missouri and welcome any support group info.

Hi soldier.on,

I'm sorry to hear about all your health problems and the MS diagnosis on top of it.

I have trouble being upbeat about my MS issues, but I think I am greatful to be able to walk now. I was in a wheelchair, and because of the diagnosis of CVID (finally after non-stop sinus infections for 8 years along with the MS diagnosis), I was given IVIG infusions and my dizziness disappeared and I no longer needed a wheelchair. I am starting on the second round of 6 infusions now, since they biopsied Candida in my esophagus, along with the new diagnosis of gastropariesis.

My hubby tries to be good, but he is not the nurse I was. I used to work in a hospital, joined the Army as an officer, and later did desk nursing for an insurance company, a medical malpractice defense lawyer (I have a paralegal certification) and lastly as an auditor for my state doing Medicaid audits. I am not working, lost the last job due to cognitive issues - they paid me to think and it was not my strong point anymore.

I am better than I was, able to relax and enjoy my grandchildren, but no longer safe to travel with them as I used to do.

I hope you have the opportunity for long term disability insurance at your job just in case.

BTW, I blame the infections for being my MS trigger. And the IVIG treated the CVID, saved me from having a sinus infection since June which is a record, and improved my MS.

Comment

try to go day by day

it stinks. I hate my job too and my hubby has MS. I think the bright news for you (and me) is that it is no longer true that a later onset (say after 50) does not mean you will go progressive. less relapses in the first 5 years are a good sign. if you can fit it in (and believe me I have problems with this with my working hours) try yoga, it is calming or buy a Chi Gong tape. moving meditation.
      I believe you must be a very strong persont to endure this and try to change your life with a new job
      good luck
      and stay in the moment (if it is a decent one- and block that supervisor out as much as you can!)

Comment

thank you for the support

I am amazed that there is even one other nurse with MS AND CVID here---what are the odds??

I do have long-term disability, but it is not easy to qualify when you have a desk job, except if your cognitive decline is severe...they figure you can do it from a wheelchair just fine, even if your employer is abusive and the only one you can work for.

If I had to lose my driver's license and legal self-determination due to cognitive issues, not only do I have no spouse or children, but I would not be able to stand living. You've got to have some time for living in between losses in order to build up a desire to keep going if things get even worse. In other words, there has to be something worth fighting for.

But I will cross that bridge once I get to it. I am over the worst shock and the next appointment is tomorrow at 1pm.
        Thank you for saying I might be strong....sometimes I really am.

Anybody else have family or close associates who can't cope at all? or in a situation where there is nobody yet whom it is safe to tell? Or is suffering work discrimination?

Not to be all downbeat, I am back to grad applications, playing with the dogs, etc., etc. and am leaving for the library (one of the joys of my ;life--the public library system) in a few minutes. Generally I am not so negative. I think I am more wounded by my sister's response that the diagnosis itself or the job outlook. When I work through that, I'll be okay, mostly.

Hopefully I can offer support to others as I learn...I'm still looking for Missouri in-person group; is there a list on this site somewhere?

Thanks,
        SoldierON

Comment

SoldierON, here is a link to the National MS Society website to search for an in-person support group: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/fin...ter/index.aspx

I think most of the support groups are through this organization but I suggest checking with other national MS organizations for support groups they may sponsor.

Also, your local hospital or county health department may know of local support groups that aren't part of a national organization.

Good luck!
          DX 10/2008
          Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
          Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
          Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

holy crap, that sucks

hey soldier.on

i'm going to tell you the truth and this is it. Your situation sucks massively. Ok? No pretending it's fine when it's not. No Pollyanna crap. Of course it sucks. Why bother pretending otherwise? You're a pin cushion working as a nurse in the US which has a very bad reputation when it comes to anything that involves caring for vulnerable people (not dissing nurses, just the system). Overstretched, undervalued and who the hell knows maybe that's contributing to some of your health problems.

But that's not excessively negative in my view. That's just honesty. What's excessively negative is giving up trying to improve your lot. What's Pollyanna is expecting yourself to work a gazillion hours per week while studying when your body is probably telling you to take it easy and think about number one - you - for once in your obviously difficult and care-for-everyone-else oriented life.

How you go about that involves a lot of practical considerations to be sure. I know money is a big ***** and I hate her too. But it's a balancing act. Maybe moving somewhere cheaper so you can relax more often? A lifestyle change. You don't have to work that hard to prove that you're on top of things. Just look after yourself, in a way you are personally comfortable with. If it's the way you're already doing things, awesome, if not, time to change priorities and most importantly - take some time to relax - you are important and you do deserve to cut yourself a break.

that's what admitting things suck can do when it's not excessively negative. well that's what i think anyway but don't ask me, i have depression, lol. no seriously i do. because i was like you (in my own ways) and now i understand i need to just go with the flow for awhile and not push myself too far and learn to let others show they care about me. it is helping. i recommend it.

a million gazillion hugs and good luck
            ---------
            Wishing everyone luck and as many good days as possible.

Comment

Working...
            X