Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here. My MS recovery story.

Hi Everyone. Jen here.
    I was diagnosed with rrms back in 2005, although sometimes it was so bad it seemed more like I had progressive ms.
    I was on rebif for a number of years before one of my blood tests revealed my liver wasn't doing so well. This really scared me because an uncle of mine passed away from liver disease and he suffered so much so I've been off all medication for a few years now.
    Even though the pins and needles and numbness were often so bad I could barely get out of bed, the worst were my migraine headaches. My dr wasn't sure if it was related to the MS because I had them years and years before my diagnosis.
    Well a while back a good friend of mine suggested I see a nutritionist for all my problems. She's into all this healthy holistic stuff. I wasn't sure what to think about it but I was so desperate that I decided to give it a try.
    Even though I had been to an allergist before and they tested me for this, that and everything else, this nutritionist tested said those tests were often flawed and she immediately took me off of all gluten foods and dairy, plus she suggested a few supplements (she also has MS and has been relapse free for a long time). Amazingly, I haven't had a migraine since! I normally got them a few times a week, and now nothing at all. Maybe it's just a fluke but I don't think so. I also have way more energy then I ever had before..and I'm in my late 30's! She gave me so much literature on the effects of gluten and how there are studies linking them to other autoimmune diseases as well so I know it's not just hocus pocus stuff. Food really is either medicine or a poison. I'm actually so afraid of going back to my old way of eating because I feel so much better than I ever have.
    I just wanted to share my story and give hope to other people.
    Even if there isn't a cure for MS, there is still hope to feel better than how you feel right now. I know this from experience!

It's nice to hear your story. There has been a lot of discussion on this board about dietary changes as treatment for MS. Thanks for your story.

Comment

Hi and welcome! I am glad the diet is helping you!
      dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

diet and ms

lazydaisy,

yesterday i went to my new chiropractor and told him my story.

Besides keep my spine aligned, which is important, he told me about my diet.

He too said to take out all gluten products, sugars and the interesting thing was most of all to take out, sweeteners, particularly ones with sucralose.

I read online that one key sweetener was splenda.

Well, I looked on the labels of sweetener that is on table tops in restaurants and most of them either have asparatame or sucralose.

I will give it a trail run eliminating them from my diet.
        Can't hurt except for the withdrawal, lol.

Sugar does not dissolve well in iced tea and that is why I use them. But no more!

Hope to soon be able to report an improvement.

Anyone else with any thoughts on this?
        STR

Comment

I'm also gluten-free

I stopped eating gluten and dairy in 2001 after an elimination test (that I did from a book out of desperation!) got rid of a whole bunch of symptoms I had been having (including some neuro ones, although nothing like what's going on now). I was having headaches 4-5 days a week -- in the twelve years since I've had maybe half a dozen headaches (prior to my current crazy) and felt great.

I did start eating dairy again and do wonder if it's contributing to my current health weirdness.

Thanks for sharing :-).

Comment

Strhuntrss,
            I've read that asparatame is a neurotoxin and very bad for MS. I find a lot of great info on this fb page (if I'm allowed to post the link).
            I have now replaced all artificial sweeteners and sugar with coconut sugar!

https://www.facebook.com/LivingAndThrivingWithMs

Comment

I can't believe that we are having this discussion , again. Certain foods and food groups are problematic for most of us MSer's. Look into McDougall, Swank, Engine 2 and every other 'plant strong' diet plans. Without a doubt, gluten and dairy cause 'inflammatory' responses that MSer's find problematic. Good luck

Comment

My Story, From Lyme to LTPP now Tecfidera

A friend turned me on to this Dr. John is his name......John was the one that took me to Mexico my first visit his wife was from the area they meet in the states and married and have two children.

I have done so much research in the last ten years that it isn't funny. Think when I was married my husband kind of thought I was obsessed or something, that is not the case I just need to be informed, information is power!

Did I tell you about starting the journey to determine what was wrong with me, I knew in the very early 80's that something was wrong, just what was the problem.

I started keeping every report or file in the early 90's, I have quite a collection!!!

Anyway I was talking to a friend and we were com-pairing notes and we had several similar symptoms we could not lift out leg to get into a car. She said you have Lyme. Her and her husband had been treated and was still under the care of their doctor.

Well what happened was I went to my long term Neurologist and said I want to have a Lyme test done, she went on about there is no reported Lyme test in Missouri and she was very skeptical, but she sent me Dr G___ off of state line. He did blood work on like 30 different things, from mad cow to syphilis, when the blood draw woman was getting my blood she said wow you must be some kind of special, no one ever gets this much testing at one time.

GUESS WHAT WAS THE ONLY THING THAT CAME BACK POSITIVE!!!!

LYME...............................OH YES LYME.

The Dr. then said this was a false positive and refused to treat me, I begged him to I said what would it hurt it is only antibiotic. There after every Dr (about 7) I was sent to first thing after looking over my reports would come in and say DO YOU REALIZE YOU HAVE A POSITIVE LYME TEST.

I took all my pile of reports to each and every new Dr.

Long Story Short. I made an appointment with Dr. B_____ in KC, which was the only Infectious Di ease Doctor in the Greater KC area that would accept my insurance, the next closest one was in Springfield, MO.

Anyway Dr B_____ came in after looking over my reports bringing one with him, the very one Dr G___ said was a false positive for Lyme.

Dr. Brewer then went on to say that I should of been started on the three week inter vinous antibiotic treatment some two years earlier, and if I had I would not of suffered so much permanent damage like I had. He had to do the test again 9due to insurance regulations) by the way it was exactly the same test sent to the same lab.

It was quite an ordeal to have the antibiotic treatment had to be in an operating room they ran a tube inside a vein and into my heart and then every day for three weeks I took a vile out of my frig and gave myself the antibiotics, through the tube that was taped to my arm which went to my heart.

Pretty much, I'm where I'm at, directly due to the medical profession.

First visit to Dr. B______ he also announced he would not be part of any malpractice suites, now I wish I had perused a lawsuit, maybe I would then have a little money at least to help me live out my life.

I came close to dieing, it is very odd but you know, if you ever been where I was. You realize Lyme is exactly like MS totally only with one difference and that is you can have a Lyme test and you can not test for MS.

Dr. B_____ the Lyme Doctor said he personally thinks a lot of MS patience are actually suffering from mid-diagnosed Lyme Di ease.

My Lyme was Long Term I would guess some 30 years, I remember back then having a large red circle on my leg probably six inches across, it was warm to the touch. At that time I lived in south Mo. where ticks are crazy thick.

But Lyme goes untreated sometimes years. Thank good ness that Lyme is finally coming up in the medical profession and taken seriously.

In Mexico Lyne has been know about for years and is common and easily treated. In Mexico, I'm taken care of, I feel what you should feel when you put your life in the hands of a Doctor.

It is a crime that the states are not doing stem cell treatment like the rest of the WORLD.

All I know that going to Mexico has done nothing but added to my health not taken away. I freaking Love the Dr in Mexico.

So I'm not to crazy about taking any medicine for MS, and side effects - oh my goodness.

Now the Dr. wants me to take Tecfidera, due to my MRI in May shows new mild leisons I have not taken any meds for PPMS, was told they had nothing for my type.

halfbreedcherokee

Comment

Artificial Sweeteners

Thank you Lazydaisy for the info.

I will check out the store for coconut sugar and see if it can help my hubby as well.

He is a borderline diabetic. We did pick up Stevia to try today.

JerryD ... Thank you for your info and sorry if I did not catch it before that it had to be repeated.

I will check out the Nutritional Thread more closely

God Bless you both
                  STR

Comment

I used to use stevia but I find it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Coconut sugar on the other hand, I love and is very low on the gylcemic index. I have blood sugar issues as well and coconut sugar is safe to use! I heard that on Dr. Oz even before my nutritionist told me about it lol

Comment

Working...
                    X