New Member - helping a friend who has MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member - helping a friend who has MS

Hi. I am a new member to this board. I joined because I am trying to help a friend of mine who has MS and is in a nursing home.

I have been trying to help her use an iPad as she loves to read and has a curious, inquisitive mind.

I wasn't exactly sure where to start this thread - if I need to move it elsewhere, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help!

MTK

I need some help with the following issues -

1) The best way to physically secure the iPa?. My friend (WG) spends most of her time in bed, so the iPad would need to be able to be secured to her hospital bed.

2) Any recommendations on Stylus devices? I have tried 2 styluses with WG. They work reasonably well but I see that there are many other type of styluses - telelscoping ones, ones that can strap to the hand. I am interested in others' experience. WG has limited hand mobility.

3) Are there any particular iPad apps relative to MS that people recommend?

Unfortunely, I can't help with your questions. I just wanted to say how lucky your friend is to have you around to help. Having friends who care, are interested and willing to help, goes a long way!

Comment

You're so very thoughtful, your friend must mean a lot to you, and vice versa.

There's this suction cup thingy that can be bought in most hardware stores that is made solely to hold tablets. It's a really strong suction cup, with adjustable arms and easy to use clips for the IPad. If it can't be held in place on bed railings, perhaps it can be attached to a table, wall, etc. I personally love it because it doesn't involve anything (like tools... ahhhh!) to attach it or move it.

You may want to look into Dragon Software for Mac. It's voice recognition software, pretty reasonable cost-wise ($50-$60). I've never used it so maybe someone who has can chime in.

I wish both you and your friend well, I hope you post any findings you get on this topic.
      Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I am a school teacher and 1 way that I attached the I-pad was with Velcro. But what may really help is to get one of those pillow things that is soft on one side and a desk thing on the other. that way you could still Velcro it to that and she would be able to move it so that she can see it. I am sorry about the rest. But I want you to know that you are a very special friend to her.

I hope that this has helped.
        karenwb2

Comment

You could try a tablet bracket like this :
          http://www.walmart.com/ip/22018080?w...443836&veh=sem

It is adjustable and uses a c clamp to attach to a table and I imagine it would work on bed frame and maybe even a wheelchair.

As far as a stylus goes,I use a basic one, but add a pencil grip to make it easier to hold. Try something like this: http://www.amazon.com/office-products/dp/B001SN8HOY

There isn't a lot of MS specific apps outside the digital version of Momentum (NMSS magazine) and the MS Manager from the MSAA. I do use the iPad for listening to books either with Audible books or the Kindle app with VoiceOver turned on.
          It's handy if you're visually impaired.

Comment

Hi there, Im new here also. You are such a very good friend.

Comment

Working...
            X