Melatonin and Anti-inflammatory Vitamins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melatonin and Anti-inflammatory Vitamins

During my trip to Dresden, Germany for Lemtrada in April 2014 I was please to be visited by top MS Researchers about other ways to fight this disease.

Melatonin was brought to my attention by Dr. Kern and the article below is especially compelling.

Melatonin is neuro-protective in not just MS, but many neurological diseases with inflammatory components including dementia, Alzheimer Disease (AD), Parkinson's disease, MS, stroke, TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) and SPI (spinal cord injury).

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/document...c_id=168700246

Melatotonin is a naturally occurring hormone produced by the pineal gland in the brain. Many MS patients have been found to be deficient in Melatonin. Even if you are not found to be deficient Melatonin has been proven to be a strong anti-oxidant and immune modulator.

Dosages would start at 3-10mg per day at bedtime. Melatonin has been used in much higher doses for ALS (300mg/dy) and also in conjunction with IV steroids, to lower the amount of steroids needed- see page 233 right column, near the bottom for this dosage.

Melatonin has been under study for many years. Please consult your GP or neurologist concerning dosage and suitability in your unique case.

You can see the Lemtrada blog by clicking on my name "69mustang" the blog is listed as my last name.

I have more information to share about Vitamins, SSRIs and other adjunctive treatments. I will post them to the blog as I read and digest the information.

That's really great to hear, as we have often had discussions here about melatonin and whether it is recommended or not. I take 5 mg. at night, good to know it is neuroprotective.

Comment

I also already take it for sleep. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for posting!

Comment

That's good to hear. At my last checkup in February, my neuro recommended melatonin for sleep.

I'm always skeptical about supplements for reasons that I won't go into here, but I gave the melatonin a shot.

It changed my life! I'm not kidding. I don't need sleeping pills anymore. I'm well rested in the morning. In fact, most mornings, I'm eager to get out of bed--I can't remember the last time I felt that way!

Bonus points for neuroprotection.

Comment

My neuro recommended melatonin to me at my last check up in February. He said people sleep better sometimes with it.

It turned out to be life-changing for me. I don't take sleeping pills anymore. I get out of bed more easily. I think I'm definitely one who was depleted of the stuff.

Neuroprotection is a bonus I didn't know about. That's even better.

He also recommended Co-enzyme Q. Did that come up with Dr. Kern?

Comment

Vitamins- like CoEnzyme Q10- is another avenue I am studying today.

As melatonin is neuroprotective, it also helps 'oxidative stress' and vitamins play a role in mitigating oxidative stress as well. I just finished reading a journal article about MS patients & patients with CIS (clinically isolated syndrome) both groups show an increase in bio markers for oxidative stress over the control non-MS group. It is belived this becomes more problematic as MS progresses to 2ndry progressive.

I will scan @ post a link to this article. I understand 'vitamin fatigue' and the skepticism surrounding alternative medicine. Ironically, back when I was diagnosed 11 years ago I did some research into 'anti-inflammatory' vitamins but have been sporadic in taking these due to vitamin fatigue. It is these same vitamins that are now being proven though well designed long term clinical trials to prevent oxidative stress.

I need to do a bit more research but will post the articles I find & summations ASAP. I think this avenue will be most useful to PPMS or SPMS pts withough good options for DMT. but they will help all of us live a little better.

I will co- post this on the Lemtrada dot blogspot dot com blog as well. I it is a shame when people learn things that really help them but fail to share it.

Comment

Working...
              X