I had an Avonex vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had an Avonex vacation

My insurance changed, and it took my specialty pharmacy weeks to process my new prescription for Avonex. I called them every day, was a royal pain to no avail. They took their sweet time even after they had the prescription, prior authorization, new insurance info (which was just a different Anthem plan).

The result was that I was off Avonex for 5 weeks. I expected to perhaps feel better, but each week I felt a little bit worse. I had been doing extremely well, and some of my worst symptoms had remitted, particularly heat sensitivity.

As these weeks went on, my heat sensitivity started creeping back. Now when I exercise my vision greys and blurs again. My neurogenic bladder acted up, I started padding up daily to go anywhere, which I really didn't have to do all the time. I do now....My right eye started blurring as in a flare of ON. Great. I know that the outcome will be the same if I treat ON or not, so I'm ignoring it.

I expected to have increased side effects getting back on Avonex, but it wasn't bad at all. I felt better, absolutely, and am grateful to be back on the Avonex wagon.

We've had a lot of discussion about going off Avonex lately, and I'm just giving my experience that seems to be different than others. That is part of the lesson too, everyone reacts differently. It is always good to hear other's stories so you are aware of possibilities though.

That's my story, hope you find it of interest!

Hello Justsayyes,

I think it's wonderful that through a frustrating and concerning time with an insurance company you found that Avonex has been helping you.

Best wishes!
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks Snoopy!

Comment

change pharmacies

I recommend you find a new pharmacy, one that is in your corner, and is far more responsive.

Comment

Unfortunately changing pharmacies for a specialty prescription is not an option. Anthem probably has a contract with Accredo and agrees to reduce cost for membership services. I can only get 3 refills of any prescription at a pharmacy of my choice, then I have to transfer to Accredo if I want a reduced cost. Otherwise, I will pay full cost, no benefit.

When my local pharmacy gets a prescription from my doctor, it fills it that day. How can Accredo get away with not filling prescriptions they have received for ten days or more?
          What a great way to save money at the expense of the patient.

Comment

Brain fog

OK, that doesn't make sense, you make money by providing. Perhaps they should look at how much they are losing by not filling a prescription expediently?

Comment

The next time you or anyone is about to miss a dose because they don't have meds, contact Biogen immediately. They can send you any quantity you need to hold you over

Comment

Big A you will love the irony of this.....A representative at my pharmacy put my in contact with Biogen for a "compassionate care" prescription. They approved me, but it had to be filled at the very same pharmacy that had the prescription I was waiting on. Plus they needed a new prescription from my neuro for the "compassionate care" doses. That prescription would void the one they had received and were procrastinating on filling. Crazy.

Comment

Working...
                X