Just diagnosed :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just diagnosed :-(

My name is Heather, I am 28 yrs old and just recieved the diagnose of MS.

It all started with optic neuritis in my left eye my neurologist and opthamologist both agreed that I needed IV steriods for three days to try and kick it in the butt... Along with the steriods I had a MRI, that showed a very small lesion, a CT angiogram, EVP, Spinal Tap, and tons of blood work.

The neurologist left the choice of waiting a year and doing repeat MRIs and then starting on medicine or going ahead and starting on the medicine and doing the MRIs. After thinking long and hard for some time now I have made the choice to start the medicine Copaxone which he recomminded.
    Today will be my first shot and I am so nervous about it I have read and heard about the side affects of the
    shot. Does anyone have any advise or tips to use?
    Thank you for taking the time to listen and will be awaiting any helpful advise.
    ** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

I took Copaxone for many years...loved it. Just make sure it is fully warmed to ambient temperature before injecting it. Follow your Copaxone nurses advice on how to inject and be sure to rotate sites regularly.

I basically had zero side effects on it. I only had the IR once or twice when I didn't let it warm up.. my fault.

Sounds like you have few lesions and that is good. Try to stay positive and active.

I have had many episodes of ON, they are not fun. Glad you had the steroids.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Hi Heather

I am so sorry to hear you've got this disease too. You're among friends here, and we've all been thorough those confusing and crazy early days wondering what to do and what it means.

Copaxone is really no biggie, as far as side effects go. I know giving yourself injections isn't high on anyone's list of fun things to do, but I promise you that it gets easier every day and in time you'll feel incredibly tough because you'll no you can do it, easy peasy.

I was in the 1-3% who got mild nausea from Copaxone, but most people don't notice anything other than some very short term burning after the shot is given. I'm talking a minute or two of discomfort, nothing more. They will talk to you about the initial post injection reaction; I never had it in the more than a year I took Copaxone, and it's quite rare and actually not dangerous. I'm sure the nurse will talk to you about it, too.

So, what you are *likely* to experience from Copaxone is the weirdness of giving yourself a shot, a slight discomfort for a few minutes at the shot site, and possibly a red lump at the injection site that may itch a bit for a few days. None of this is happy news, but it's really not too bad and you get used to it. Definitely make sure it is room temperature, and other than that, you're golden.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I have a question; the nurse that is going to be giving me the shot later today said to ice the area down before and after the injection, is ice better or heat better? I know its a small question but was just wondering.

Comment

Hi Heather, I'm sorry that you have been diagnosed with this crazy disease. I have had very positive results with COpaxone, I have been taking it for just over 5 years.

The best tip I can offer (other than listening to the COpaxone nurse) is to ice the site immediately after and have a good supply of Benadryl cream on hand for after the ice. The only side effect I have had is itching at the injection site, which is quite normal. To cut down on the itch, I use antibacterial baby bum wipes instead of alcohol swabs to sterilize.

It's quite overwhelming at the beginning but you'll get used to it. The good thing about C is there are no liver blood tests needed and no flu like symptoms. I wish you well and please keep us posted on your progress.
          Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

In my experience heat or cold is irrelevant so I did neither after awhile. Different people seem to get the best results with different things, so it's a bit of an experiment. The nurse should have some ice/heat packs for you if you ask, though, so you can start figuring it out.

Also, if it's the Copaxone nurse, s/he will be teaching you how to inject yourself, and won't be doing the shot for you.

Comment

Well I am pleased to say that the first shot went very well little redness and burning but that was it! Thank you everyone for replying back to me.

Comment

Yay! I am glad to hear it went well.

Comment

Working...
                X