loosing my mind - LITERALLY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loosing my mind - LITERALLY

I find myself searching for words during a conversation more and more. I feel so dumb. Today I needed help with cone. I kept saying the orange things.. not barrels. I loose words and just say anyway yeah!.. like that helps
    limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Originally posted by ladibabe View Post
    I find myself searching for words during a conversation more and more. I feel so dumb. Today I needed help with cone. I kept saying the orange things.. not barrels. I loose words and just say anyway yeah!.. like that helps
    I am sorry you are feeling "dumb" as you put it, but you are not dumb. Most of us struggle with these things if that helps at all. Wait until you start renaming things like not jut the cold thing for the refrigerator, but calling it the cracker box, or the stack machine, or whatever crazy name passes through your mind in the course of a conversation.

My husband and I play this game all of the time. We call it the "Where's my...game". He comes home from the hospital working all day and night and wants to know wheres my..., well how the heck? I am like, number 1, look for it, number 2, I can't name it.

So I struggle to name the places I think it might be while he gets either irritated or amused. Now he is a doctor, and fully understands the disease, so at times he is very understanding, he is sometimes just like "the soap stand???" and I will have to say "You just need to chill out and give me a minute."

If you can slow down, words will sometimes come along better, some days they just will not come. That is just how it is. You may want to talk to your neuro about it. Get a neuropsych eval about it. For the most part, word finding is our calling card. When you start getting lost, or nearly set your house on fire, like me, then time for the neuropsych eval.

Hugs
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

If it's any comfort, I once taught perfectly healthy teenagers, who would regularly say to their friends, "Thing there, thing me that thing."

I lose words, particularly if I'm standing up when I have to talk. I definitely can't walk and chew gum at the same time. It's better sitting down, but it still drives me silly.

And 'orange things' isn't a bad description of a cone.

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
        When you start getting lost, or nearly set your house on fire, like me, then time for the neuropsych eval.
        I would argue to NOT wait until you get lost to get a neuropsych eval, get it now! This will give you a baseline & hopefully your psych can give you suggestions for improvement. Mine recommended luminosity.com

On a personal note, this is one of my main sx. Work doesn't know of my dx so when I have to speak, especially w/my boss, I think about what I need to say. Well, my boss just returned to work after a serious motorcycle accident in which he suffered a traumatic brain injury. He explained his cog issues, including word recall & wrong words. I so badly wanted to say "welcome to my world! but mine isn't going to get better with time" but I refrained
        DX 10/2008
        Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
        Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
        Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

NMSS Learn On Line

You are not losing you mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvsRI...feature=relmfu
          "So, perhaps our task in this shaky, fast-changing, bewildering world in which we live is to make music, at first with all that we have, and then, when that is no longer possible, to make music with all that we have left." UNKN

Comment

whoa ya - I hear ya sista but, I don't think you're losing your mind, you're learning how to operate with a different one.

I stumble and stammer, and repeat a sound before I try to secure the word for the whatever it is I'm trying to say. I was concerned for a while that I was developing Turrets.

My daughter and I have had a few good rounds of laughter over the fluent gibberish that has replaced words like "backpack" and "chocolate". The worst is I have a hard time saying my last name and spelling "G" and "P" words aloud.

This is the stuff humour is built on.
            “Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”
            ~ Mark Twain . . .Or a typo on the Internet. Srsly.

Comment

I had the neuropsych exam, and I performed naming things in the bottom 8% of the population. He did not give me anything to do about it, but said it is very common with MS patients.

I am embarrassed about my inability to carry on a conversation and frustrated with myself. When I am talking to someone, I usually now just hold back until I think about the words I need to advance before I speak. If the conversation moves on to another topic, then I just try to think of the new words I need before I start talking. It seems I cannot talk and think.

During the test, one of the pictures that I remember was easel, and I know what that is, and could not come up with the name. I obsessed about it and finally came up with it much later, but it didn't count on the test.

Comment

You have described me perfectly. It's so frustrating and sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind. I've felt stupid and dumb too, even though I know I'm as smart as I always was... I just can't communicate it anymore. I process my words slowly and speak slowly as I search for the right word. Sometimes the word never comes. I have trouble reading and insert the wrong word. Then I read the sentence again and realize I read it wrong the first time. Then I read it again to verify if I was right the first time or the 2nd time.

The other day I was trying to describe how my thought process works now and it took me a few hours to come up with the word. I said "my mind feels like a ping pong ball, no I mean a refrigerator, um you know it's a box that's in one of those rooms where kids go to play games (I couldn't think of the word arcade)." Of course they didn't know what I was talking about but they understood my brain wasn't working very well.

Three hours later I remembered the word --- pinball machine.

It's frustrating and I lose patience with myself and others become inpatient with me. It's become overwhelming at work, to the point I've started having panic attacks. I finally told my boss I just couldn't handle it anymore and went out on medical leave a month ago. I think the stress of trying so hard to communicate at work just became too much. Now that I'm home it's much better. The people who love me are far more patient and we can laugh about it.

Comment

I am glad I'm not the only one as selfish as that sounds. Thanks guys for the understanding and advise.
                  limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

Me too!!!!

The same thing has been happening to me lately.. Its very frustrating!!! I am a nurse, so when talking to patients, I have caught myself searching for the simplest words.. Like you, I feel dumb sometimes.. I get upset.. I talked to my neurologist and he recommended the neuro psych evaluation test.. Its scheduled for December.. Good luck to you!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X