job being outsourced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

job being outsourced

Hi I have been dx with MS since 2002, original symptoms actually began in 1991 with lesions on my mri...in 2002 I was sent by my neurologist to do testing for disability...the doctor whom did the tests, told me he had enough information to get me disability. I refused and continued working, loved my job, and they had allowed me to work at home, so it was all great.

I have over 30 lesions on my brain, and most of my problems are brain related, memory, thinking, vision, hearing, and concentrating. I have done well with my current job, due to it has been 29 years of repetitious work. Now that my job is being outsourced, I am afraid that I wouldn't number one, be able to train on a new job function as this doctor told me not to even balance a check book, nor be able to withstand driving to and from job as I live in a very rural area (45-60 min commute one way), or be able to handle the hours due to my tiredness and ability to think or concentrate.

My husband seems to think I need to apply for disability now...I presently work 30 hrs a week for ins company in VA, and am 47. My neurologist also told me that filing may have to be an option for me. My job will be leaving in 30-60 days...so should I apply now, or after my job is outsourced? Like I say I have been employed for 29 years, and am scared! Thank you for your input!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi, JAM67. Sorry to hear about the MS issues you have. Having to leave a long-time job must be very difficult. It's great that you've been able to work so long, though, in a job that works for you.

If one is working over the SGA level now, which is $1,070 gross income per month before taxes (2014 rate), then you can't apply for benefits. Once one is no longer working, they can apply. That's the general rule. So depending upon one's hourly wages, at 30 hours/week, you might have to wait until you stop working.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
    X