bioness or walkaide or alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bioness or walkaide or alternative?

Looking into getting a device, but both real expensive and not covered from insurance. Both i tried and seem to work a little, but don't want to jump in to pay all that $, and possibly looking at a cheaper alternative in meantime. There are other ems devices much cheaper out there to use, but not sure which are good. Anyone have any recommendations?

The best piece of advice I can give you before purchase is "Make sure it will solve your problem."

You don't mention what your problem is: foot drop, weak hip flexors, etc. If you're not sure, make an appointment with an OT or PT and try to identify the area of concern. If it is foot drop, are you stable or will the progression in disability continue? If stable, either the Bioness or WalkAide could be of benefit, albeit expensive benefit. However, remember with a prescription, the cost of all these medical devices is a medical deduction on income taxes; not much, but it is something.

If it is weak hip flexors, neither device will help. I have weak hip flexors and tried out both devices. Luckily, I had a two week trial of the WalkAide, and when I fell with it on, I realized that was not my problem. There have been many MS'ers who have purchased these devices only to discover months later, that wasn't their problem. There is another MS forum that has lots of these for sale used. I came within a hair of purchasing the WalkAide before I fell.

If the problem is stable foot drop, you might want to google "dynamic bracing solutions." I almost purchased this one, also. I believe it is better than the Bioness, and the price is comparable. In the tests of both the Walkaide and Bioness, I found the electric shock "uncomfortable."

I found the HFAD, hip flexion assist device, for under $300 and have used it regularly for two years. It hasn't stopped the progression, but I am still able to walk independently, although the distance is decreasing. However, give me a shopping cart, and I can still do Costco! It is extremely light (1.5 lbs), fits under your clothing, and is easy to wear. I can highly recommend it.

I figure I've saved $16,000 on devices that weren't going to solve my problem before I settled on the HFAD. Instead, I'm going to purchase a WaterWell physical therapy pool to keep exercising those hip flexors and keep walking as long as possible. Good luck!

Comment

WalkAide works for me

I have a foot drop and have used the WalkAide for several months. I didn't try the bioness. I didn't like the idea of having to use 3 pieces of equipment and I didn't like certain things I read about the company.

It took a few weeks to get used to the WalkAide and several adjustments but the WalkAide person was very patient and understanding. They also allowed me extra testing time to make sure it worked for me.

Prior to this I was wearing a foot brace and I had asked my doctor a prescription for a knee brace because it was hyper extending which was very painful. He suggested I tried an FES first and it turned out that since I use the WalkAide my knee is not hyper extending any longer which is terrific. The electric stimulation doesn't bother me and you can adjust it to what is comfortable for you.

I don't wear it all day long. Only the hours during the day when I walk around such as when I'm cooking or fixing things around the house or going to the store. And you have to follow the instructions carefully on keeping the electrodes wet and your skin clean.
      It is expensive and not covered by insurance but it's well worth it.

Comment

Yeah, insurance turned me down for the Bioness when it would have done a world of good for my mobility and retaining function. Now I think I've progressed beyond its effectiveness. Yep, call me bitter!

I plan on getting that hip HFAD brace, too, but one super cheap and effective device for plain old foot drop is the Ossur Foot Up. You can get it online for approx. $60.

It's an ankle cuff with industrial velcro, and a tongue with elastic strap that fits under laces (they also have a barefoot version). It's comfortable, adjustable and easy to use, and it allows me to still drive with my weak right ankle.

Comment

I've tried both, bought the Walkaide

Originally posted by earth2mac View Post
          Looking into getting a device, but both real expensive and not covered from insurance. Both i tried and seem to work a little, but don't want to jump in to pay all that $, and possibly looking at a cheaper alternative in meantime. There are other ems devices much cheaper out there to use, but not sure which are good. Anyone have any recommendations?
          I have foot drop and thanks to an article in Alaska Air's mag, tried both. The Bioness required a sensor under my heel, and as someone who goes barefoot on warm days and wears several pairs of shoes and sandals a week, I went with the Walkaide.

As I have wide feet - men's 8 EEE, most mechanical AFO's would mean buying custom made shoes, slippers, etc

I'm quite happy with the Walkaide, though I find that day to day settings vary a bit, and I have to adjust the intensity setting. The adjustment knob is easily reached, even when I'm wearing jeans.

After almost three years of using the Walkaide in and around San Francisco I have not fallen because of foot drop.

I will add that one of the unexpected benefits of getting the Walkaide at UCSF was that the woman who fitted me (Heidi T.) strongly suggested I use Canadian crutches rather than a cane - they made a huge difference. When I'm walking my wife reminds me to stand up straight, which is essential - I need to use my canes for balance, not for bearing my weight.

Comment

Working...
          X