Been a tough transition. ANY COMMENTS WELCOMED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a tough transition. ANY COMMENTS WELCOMED

Hi everyone my names nick, when i was 17 i was diagnosed with my MS i am now 18. Every doctor just told me how lucky i was that we caught it so early. I lost my eye sight and was in the hospital forever getting pumped with steroids... how is that lucky?

Growing up baseball was always my love. It was what i was good at, and it always made me happy. After i was diagnosed i commited to play baseball at a division 2 college in my home state and did so in my hospital bed. Ive been working as hard as i can but i cant do thee running and tough workouts, sometimes i just feel like what i love is being taken away from me.

Days like today i could barely walk to my classes. I feal so weak i cant compete with my own team mates and im falling behind. This is my dream and ill never give it up. But some days just seem so tough. Just thought this might be a good place to let some emotions out. Thank you for all who read!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

MS can be brutal, and even more so when it hits so young. And then to have it try and take baseball away? Dude, that's awful.

Welcome to MS World. I'm sorry you have the disease, but am very glad you found us. We're here to listen and give support.

Comment

I'm sorry you are having to go through this! Try to rest as much as you can, so your body can heal!

Sara

Comment

I think doctors are just glad they don't have to tell you that you only have a few months to live , because sometimes they do have to tell people this.
        Don't ever give up your love of baseball. If MS won't let you run the bases , consider other ways to be a active part of the game.
        Best of wishes to you.

Comment

Stupid comment from your doctors, now had there been a cure "catching" it early might be nice. No, it sucks and I am sorry you "caught" it so young, lets hope you will have only mild symtoms forever.

You might want to try get on a healthy diet if not already, it can sometimes provide extra energy and better health.

Comment

WELCOME NICK!!!!! It is great to have you here, but I am sorry why.
            There is a great group of people here that you can rely on for support or for answers to any questions you may have. Good luck!
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks everyone!!! Your concerns all give me more confidence. ILL NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Comment

Supertzi44, so sorry to hear about your MS dx. It's not fair at any age, but I'm glad I didn't know until much later. I had sx's very young, but had huge remissions over the years too. I have a daughter your age and I can't imagine the loss at that age.

I'm in the 'you need to rest in order to heal' camp. Healing from an ms exacerbation for me took a very long time. I was also a single mom of an adopted daughter when I had to stop working. Loss of income and being a parent brought about their own stresses.

Stress is the enemy of MS recovery, IMO. I'd recommend taking a nap for about a year to allow your body, mind and spirit time to recover.

Comment

Hi Nick!

I haven't posted in forever but checked in on my MS World friends today to see how everyone is and your post caught my eye. It has got to be such a scary thing to be dxd so young, I am so sorry to hear that. I had a hard enough time at 30.

The first year has been super tough, even now I am figuring out my limits. I still work, hike, laugh, play, but need to just watch my limits now as a little too much to drink feels like I am recovering from an Animal House frat party.

Your story made me recall a recent article on football player Courtney Taylor. He has played in the NFL for the Sehawks and Lions and got his MS dx early in his career - also started with optic neuritis. He has taken a couple years to get back into it again, but just played a game with the BC Lions (CFL). Here is a link to one of the articles (if I can post it, if not, just search for his name):

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/P...242/story.html

I know his story is not the same, and MS is different for everyone, but this is an encouraging story from a great athlete. It was even inspiring to me (who has never been what I would describe as an athlete).

Don't give up trying to live your dreams until you absolutley cannot do it anymore! We will all get to a point in our lives, with or without MS, where we cannot do what we want or used to do, don't let that day come before it has to
                  dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

Hi Nick
                    I just wanted to post as I think you're the closest to my age that i've seen on here since joining. I've just been told I have the early onset of MS and like you it took losing my sight temporarily and being taken into hospital for it to be noticed despite having symptoms in the past.

I know its not much, but if you need to talk im always willing to lend an ear.

Comment

Originally posted by Keepin_on View Post
                      Hi Nick!

I haven't posted in forever but checked in on my MS World friends today to see how everyone is and your post caught my eye. It has got to be such a scary thing to be dxd so young, I am so sorry to hear that. I had a hard enough time at 30.

The first year has been super tough, even now I am figuring out my limits. I still work, hike, laugh, play, but need to just watch my limits now as a little too much to drink feels like I am recovering from an Animal House frat party.

Your story made me recall a recent article on football player Courtney Taylor. He has played in the NFL for the Sehawks and Lions and got his MS dx early in his career - also started with optic neuritis. He has taken a couple years to get back into it again, but just played a game with the BC Lions (CFL). Here is a link to one of the articles (if I can post it, if not, just search for his name):

I know his story is not the same, and MS is different for everyone, but this is an encouraging story from a great athlete. It was even inspiring to me (who has never been what I would describe as an athlete).

Don't give up trying to live your dreams until you absolutley cannot do it anymore! We will all get to a point in our lives, with or without MS, where we cannot do what we want or used to do, don't let that day come before it has to
                      I really appreciate what you did that article was very helpful for me, although like you said everyone heres situation is different it gave me more confidence that i cant do what i love along with others.

You said some of the best words to me and gave great advice. Thank you so much!!! ill never give up on anything i do.

Good luck on your own journey through, Im not sure i can give as good advice as you, but if you follow what you said to me im sure you will be successful!

Comment

Originally posted by PanicStation View Post
                        Hi Nick
                        I just wanted to post as I think you're the closest to my age that i've seen on here since joining. I've just been told I have the early onset of MS and like you it took losing my sight temporarily and being taken into hospital for it to be noticed despite having symptoms in the past.

I know its not much, but if you need to talk im always willing to lend an ear.
                        Well i guess were both still in the learning stages of this even after weve been through so much.

Im glad theres another person close to my age who knows what im going through unlike my friends.

And also if you need anyone to talk to im always here for some support!

Comment

Nick....I am really sorry to hear about your diagnoses. Your so young. I was diagnosed late in life, I know they say it is better in the long run to catch it early, but I was glad I didn't know earlier. I have had such a hard time now, I can't even think of how hard it is for one as young as you dealing with this MonSter. I guess for medical reasons it is better to get diagnosed early, idk.

There are some things you can do to help yourself, rest as much as you can, excersize is good and eating better. If you struggle from being fatigue , there are some persciption drugs like Amantadine. There is supplements that help like L-Carnitine or Alpha Lipoic Acid. Many MSers have issues with fatigue, I am on Amantadine and it has worked wonders for me. I am thinking of trying the supplements thou, we will see.

Stress can do a real number on MS and most MSers don't do well in heat. There are things you can do for the heat that may help, drinking plenty of water of course but you can get a cooling vest, which can be worn over or under your clothes. Contact msaa.com (multiple sclerosis association of america) they have a program to help get cooling vests at no cost.

Well good luck Nick, I hope you continue to fight for your dreams with much success!

Anna

Comment

Working...
                          X