Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can we strengthen our muscles with exercise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
    For people who were athletic before MS I think they should have a good perspective regarding what they are able to do and what is helpful or harmful.

I guess it is most difficult for people who haven't been active in their lives pre-MS because they aren't in shape and don't recognize the expected fatigue, pain, sacrifices etc. that come from starting a new work out. Even if you don't have MS when you first start a challenging physical regimen you will surely feel like you have it, lol.

Its often written here not to push yourself and to stop before you feel pain which I agree is great advice in general but in my experience as a person before and after MS without feeling some pain/fatigue I'm not getting a decent work out, especially if I'm starting a new regimen.
    I am thinking to a certain point that we are the same "athletes" after M.S. as were before M.S. on some level. Of course we could tweak it in either direction. I probably kick my butt a little harder after M.S., but now it is more out of fear of what will happen if I give up than vanity and trying to fit into my skinny jeans (whatever those are)!

Taking it one step farther, my brother's hospice nurse told me that in her experience, people die as they live. My brother was brave and even maintained his sense of humor at the end...not exactly the same guy he was in good health, but remarkable not all that different. He even went as far as to write a letter to his friend to open after his death...it was about how to maintain the Harley Davidson motorcycle he willed to him. The letter began with: Greetings from the grave!" On the flip-side, if you were given to hysterics and drama in life, your personality is not going to suddenly change in death.

But I digress. I think I'm stalling because I was supposed to go to a class at the Y tonight!
    Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
      I am thinking to a certain point that we are the same "athletes" after M.S. as were before M.S. on some level. Of course we could tweak it in either direction. I probably kick my butt a little harder after M.S., but now it is more out of fear of what will happen if I give up than vanity and trying to fit into my skinny jeans (whatever those are)!

Taking it one step farther, my brother's hospice nurse told me that in her experience, people die as they live. My brother was brave and even maintained his sense of humor at the end...not exactly the same guy he was in good health, but remarkable not all that different. He even went as far as to write a letter to his friend to open after his death...it was about how to maintain the Harley Davidson motorcycle he willed to him. The letter began with: Greetings from the grave!" On the flip-side, if you were given to hysterics and drama in life, your personality is not going to suddenly change in death.

But I digress. I think I'm stalling because I was supposed to go to a class at the Y tonight!
      Get your butt to the Y, girlie!! I just got home from there and while it was grueling to drag myself out on this drizzly day I feel much better now...and I can actually eat tonight, lol.

People with peaceful spirits like your brother have my admiration. My guess is that although I will keep scratching and clawing until my last breath it won't be with a cheery attitude.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
        My guess is that although I will keep scratching and clawing until my last breath it won't be with a cheery attitude.
        When I was first diagnosed, my first neurologist had did say that how a person deals with their M.S. depends on their personality. My immediate response was that he was full of poop (and/or outright calling me a whimp!).

Now I think maybe he could have been on to something. My stepmother, a very strong type A woman with a positive attitude, swears that she used the technique of "visualization" to beat her breast cancer. She's been cancer-free about 20 years, so who am I to argue? She might be the MSer that reaches Mt. Everest. Who knows??

It's wonderful to fantasize we might actually have some control over this mess, but every time I start buying into that hypothesis, some other body part let's me know that M.S. is just laughing at the whole theory!
        Tawanda

Comment

Working...
        X