Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question?

I have a dilemma. Primary doc is advising me to get the Shingles shot (Zostavax) which is a live vaccine. I know it is not usually recommended that MS'ers get live vaccines if they are on interferons, steroids, etc. I am on Copaxone and have been for 7 yrs. It is not an interferon but I am still wary of throwing anything new into the mix. My neuro is looking into it. Have any of you faced this situation, if so, I'd love to hear of any reactions. My Dad and an uncle had shingles and it wasn't fun. My uncle actually suffered with the post-herpetic neuralgia and the pain was intolerable for him. Just trying to be smart about this. Thanks in advance!

I haven't heard anything about it but maybe try a university hosp? (Just a thought)
    HuntOP/hunterd
    volunteer

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I just realized I probably posted this under the wrong category I've been a member here but haven't really posted anything before. Great site just the same!

Comment

In general, even without DMDs, live vaccines are not encouraged for MSers as it could set off a relapse.

I am on Gilenya and can't get the Zostavax vaccine unless I go off of Gilenya for an extended period (I think 90 days). My PCP recommended it and I agree because I'm only 42 and already had Shingles. I don't want it again.

Copaxone is not an immunosuppressant like Gilenya, so it may be OK to get the Zostavax while on Copaxone. I would recommend a call to Shared Solutions and your neuro in addition to getting advice from your PCP.

The way I look at it is that I think the pain and hassle of shingles along with the risk of a relapse due to the shingles outweighs the risk of a relapse due to the vaccine.

Comment

With my family history of shingles, my neuro agreed that the vaccine might be worth getting. That said, I'm still hesitant. I read that the vaccine is about 50% effective in preventing the shingles in those between 60 & 69 and is even less effective in those who are older. I guess I'll give Shared Solutions a call and see what their stance is on it. Thanks for the good advice. I have some decisions to make.

Comment

dee50 - Although the vaccine may not completely prevent shingles for everyone, if you do get them after the vaccine, it should be a milder episode.

Comment

got mine almost 2 years ago.

I'm on Avonex and asked my MS doc if I should and she said unequivocally YES. So I got it in March 2011 and have had no problems... really don't want to get shingles from what I've heard.

Comment

Thank you all for your feedback! I am still undecided but appreciate your thoughts.

Comment

Does Shingles have a familial connection? I know that it is connected to Chicken Pox and that it is viral but I have never heard that in can run in families. I' m hoping someone has more info. Thx - M.
                  M.
                  A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

@ matrimama - no familial link, except that people who live together share their germs. My sister and I had chicken pox at the same time when we were young.

When I recently had shingles, no one else in my house got it, but my immune system is a mess so it wasn't surprising. I'm sure everyone else in the house has a much stronger immune system than me.

Comment

Me either...

I haven't received the Shingles vaccine either, but I know shingles can be awful as my FIL (a doctor) got it and he suffered do to nerve damage.

I believe there is a treatment (medication) that will help if you get it while you have the rash (early on). Otherwise, though the rash goes away, the nerves can be damaged.

My FIL could not stand to even have his back touched, nor could he lean back on anything comfortably.

The doctor gave him a strong painkiller which actually made him confused and tired. He was in his 80's so the painkiller was harder on him than it might be for a younger person.

Go to a good reliable site online to see what is recomended with regard to the shingles vacine. Good luck.

Diane
                      You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

So glad I read this thread I'm 55 and really need to address this issue with my PCP and Neuro.
                        Dx 4/04
                        Copaxone 5/04-3/05
                        Rebif 4/05-present

Comment

Working...
                        X