Copaxone question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone question

I just started copaxone. First injection went fine, just burning after the injection, no biggie. Second nite, I had an immediate reaction and passed out and fell and hit my head. I contacted Shared Solutions and the nurse told me to stop immediately and contact my neuro and see if he wants me to continue.

My question is, has anyone else had an immediate reaction to copaxone and neuro have you continue the med? Did you have anymore reactions? Im calling my neuro Monday, as when this happend it was after hours and the on call neuro blew me off and hung up on me.

Wow, lots of views but no replies. Well, my neuro is having me come to ofc and give injection there and will monitor me for 30 mns to see if I have another reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by pjsSissy70 View Post
      Wow, lots of views but no replies. Well, my neuro is having me come to ofc and give injection there and will monitor me for 30 mns to see if I have another reaction.
      The number of views isn't just registered members. It includes all the "lurkers" out there who read MSWorld without registering.

So it's not as bad as you think.

I'm sorry about the lack of replies. It's probably because none of the members who've read your thread have had an experience similar to yours.

Hope all goes well at your neuro's office; I'm glad your next shot is being monitored.

Comment

Reactions to copaxon

I have just started my copaxon injections as well on Saturday. Passing out has never happened to me. I had a nurse from shared solutions come over and show me everything to do, which was very nice. Now i heard from her that reactions can occur at anytime during treatment. I just got a burning sensation as well but she asked me if i had tightness in my chest. I explained to her no. She did say to me the heart palpetations and tightness of the chest can come at any time during the course of treatment after injections. So you passing out might be normal what my nurse thinks is that, when yo inject sometimes you hit a capalary do you know what that is your body is full of them there all over and what happens when you inject into one your capalary goes to your heart and blood stream so this would probally cause this she said now this isnt proven but this is what she thinks and to me it makes sense. So you passing out yeah you probably hit a capillary and it went into your blood stream which might have caused you to pass out. But i think your fine. If your doctor suggests also you continue its probably fine to do so. I myself knowing this now probably would. as i did not have a reaction the first time and i am aware of these things happening at anytime during the coarse of treatment. Now this site i come on and off occasionally actually new to it, but i can give you another website that will help you in responses.. Its called patients like me.

It is very helpful they have a chart there you can keep track of your progression, and all your treatments and symptoms and its very nice.. If you need me at all to my email address is **email address removed as per our guidelines. You may put it in your profile** really and im 30 yrs old.. nice to meet you i hope to see you around other heres that website..well i can't post it for some reason so hit me up in my email and i will send you that link ok or you can google it its patients like me.

Comment

In my third year of Copaxone, I did have a "syncopal" episode, passing out. I remembered the IPIR warning and, as it was immediately after injecting (I fell to the floor as I was putting the needle down) when I came to I told my husband to sit me up.

Wrong thing to do when you have fainted ... sitting up again drained the blood from my brain and I had a mild seizure ... frozen in position, eyes bulging,

He immediately lay me down on the bed and within seconds I blinked and came to.

They took me to the hospital by ambulance and kept me overnight for observation. I called Shared Solutions to let them know that sitting up was the wrong choice, and that perhaps they ought to add to their IPIR notes that if you have passed out you may continue to lie down to avoid what happened to me.

They declined the suggestion, saying it would confuse people.

After another year and a half of injections, I stopped the treatment. It's only been four months but I continue to feel better and better. We are all individuals. We all react differently, and have to trust ourselves to make our own choices.
          First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
          Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Thank you Rena... sorry, cant remember the rest of your nname... lol.. well, my dh and I talked about it. I was sooooo nervous about having to do a shot infront of my neuro, that my dh told me to just go ahead and try a shot tonight and see if anything happens. So I did a shot and nothing happend. I guess I must have just hit something with that other shot. I felt that normal burning sensation and this time I have a red mark where I shot.

The shot that caused my problems was in my leg and man can I feel where I gave myself the shot. It still hurts I got myself good! ouch!! Its a learning experience~

Comment

pjs, happy to hear the shot went well after your last frightening experience (I posted to your thread the other day). Did you use the auto injector or manual? Either way, glad it didn't happen again!
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Sissy, I swore I saw an Avonex post with the same thing, the OP passed out AND peed herself, so you win.

Her suggestion was to administer the shot and lie down right away.
                Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Catmom, I only do it manually. My dh will use the autoject for the places I cant reach. I cant use the autoject well. When I was on betaseron (10 yrs ago) it hurt so bad when I used it and the snap of the button, WOW... scared the life outta me.
                  I know the copaxone folks say not to inject in stretch marks, but I gotta tell ya, after 3 kids, 2 of which were over 10lbs, its kind of impossible for me... lol.

Comment

I had several injections before I had an immediate reaction. I freaked out and almost went to ER.. I started sweating, my heart was beating out of my chest, I could not breath, I was sick to my stomach my head was pounding.
                    After about 3 mins I got back to "normal" but felt off all day. I also called Shared Solutions and was told to stop. When I called my neuro that Monday I was told that it was "normal" and may never happen again or could happen the next time I took it but to continue on.
                    It happened one other time, I am currently on Ty.
                    I did not like copaxone at all! I now have permanent muscle damage and bumps and bulges everywhere.

Good Luck!!

Comment

lol pjs... I've never heard the stretch mark thing but like you, I also had 3 kids so the stomach shot doesn't leave me too many options if I'm to avoid stretch marks. I think I even have stretch marks from my dh's 3 kids too even though I didn't give birth to them!

Glad the manual shot is working for you; hope the Copax has as good results for you as it has for me.
                      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Copaxone

Glad to hear your subsequent shots went well. I haven't had a similar experience with Copaxone, but will now be taking my shots sitting down! Cripes, the nurses should tell you things like this!

Comment

Copaxone Relief

I am so sorry your experience with Copaxone was depressing and scary for you. I've have been on Copaxone since Oct. 2011 and I have not experienced a deadly reaction like what happened to you! The only reaction I've had was early on when I felt the medicine was in a War with my nerves" and Copaxone's won over the disease. My reaction was a back spasms, where I had to get a muscle relaxer to control my spasms.

After this fare up, I have not had any flare ups since! In fact, I begin to think that Copaxone was not working because I neither had flare ups nor I haven't got sick either! All I can suggest to you is call shared solutions and your neurologist to discuss another medicine for you if you think Copaxone is not working for you! Keep us informed on new medication you are on!

YOUR FRIEND,

traceyco

QUOTE=pjsSissy70;1348605]I just started copaxone. First injection went fine, just burning after the injection, no biggie. Second nite, I had an immediate reaction and passed out and fell and hit my head. I contacted Shared Solutions and the nurse told me to stop immediately and contact my neuro and see if he wants me to continue.

My question is, has anyone else had an immediate reaction to copaxone and neuro have you continue the med? Did you have anymore reactions? Im calling my neuro Monday, as when this happend it was after hours and the on call neuro blew me off and hung up on me.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Do you stand while doing injections? I made that mistake once. I managed to cut myself with the needle.

Your neuro may have chalked it up to you tensing up/holding your breath before the injection. He may not want to give up on a treatment so quickly.

I sit on my bed and do my injection - so at least I have a soft landing. I never have anyone around when I do them - so your post made me think that I should at least text someone when I am doing the injection.

I have used Copaxone for over a year now. I will go for a time without any reaction and then have a bunch of site reactions. Not sure why

I have a lot of stretch marks and surgical scars - I avoid injecting them because they hurt more. It narrows down where I can inject - luckily I have several "cushiony" areas to use.

Comment

I have been shooting Copaxone for 2 years now, no serious reactions YET, it can happen anytime tho, or so I am told.

So far my MS has been a little better, I guess its given my body a chance to patch things up a little.

My wife does some of the injections and I do some, likewise with my insulin (5 shots/day normal). I use my tummy for my humalog (mealtime insulin) so that I keep off limits to the Copaxone. We used the auto-injector at first, then after nearly a month we both went to full manual. My wife already knew how to do the manual shots due to being trained to give me insulin shots.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Working...
                              X