Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really hope i can ask this on here :/ Has pot been shown to help with MS????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justacowgirl View Post
    IMHO people that use marijuana for legitimate medical reasons don't wish to get blotto. Certainly there is abuse of the whole medical marijuana thing but there is abuse of handicapped parking placards and there is raging abuse of prescription drugs with considerably more physical and psychological harm. I would rather see someone smoke a joint than start using oxy's any day.

Just for fun I googled Psychology today and they quote what they tout as the most complete research on MJ; a book called The Science of Marijuana and that research shows that in the worse case only 9 percent of people might have a true addiction. I'd say that was a pretty good percentage.

Googling smoking MJ vs Smoking cigarettes brings a plethora of viewpoints. No one really seems to agree.

I don't think you can reasonably argue the benefits of jello shooters.

If MJ gives someone relief by all means they should use it. Past threads on this site seem to support the fact that some people with MS do find relief using mj.

And actually mj laws do not date back to prohibition. The marijuana tax act came far after prohibition.

Anyway it certainly is a debate that needs serious attention and serious facts.

j
    My point being that we need a serious debate based on medical facts.
    When the two sides (pain relief vs. Ya Hoo!) get jammed together its always the Ya Hoo! side that wins which gets us no where. Its a lot like the debate of growing Hemp as an energy/textile source, the problem isn't the mis-information of getting wasted on Hemp. The problem is using Hemp as a backdoor to legalizing MJ for casual use. It should be a seperate issue but it keeps getting stuck in the same rut.

BTW, I'm basing the prohabition-era claim on the scare tactic flicks like Refer Madness. The actual legislation came later as you said but the foundation was being set earlier.

Comment

I am afraid at this point if I tried to make an intelligent post I would just sound like a nut job but......

The reason MJ is and will remain illegal is because it is cheaper & more effective than man made drugs. If they decriminalized it & taxed it, I think many people would be more honest about using and benefits.

I do not think MJ is addictive in and of itself. Meth & Oxy are addictive, I believe that some people just have addictive tendancies (wheat thins). I have absolutely known people who were overindulgent, but there is always other factors causing the need for escape.

I have smoked here & there for YEARS, and I have never known a normal, well adjusted person who threw their life away behind MJ use, or who became open or addicted to real drugs.

/2cents
      DXd Fragile X premutation ~ 2004
      DXd RRMS ~ Jan. 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
        My point being that we need a serious debate based on medical facts.
        When the two sides (pain relief vs. Ya Hoo!) get jammed together its always the Ya Hoo! side that wins which gets us no where. Its a lot like the debate of growing Hemp as an energy/textile source, the problem isn't the mis-information of getting wasted on Hemp. The problem is using Hemp as a backdoor to legalizing MJ for casual use. It should be a seperate issue but it keeps getting stuck in the same rut.

BTW, I'm basing the prohabition-era claim on the scare tactic flicks like Refer Madness. The actual legislation came later as you said but the foundation was being set earlier.
        Well, (kindly spoken) you have presented no facts here that are substantiated that show that MJ is addictive. Or that it does not bring relief to the user.

That being said..and medical research shows that it is not addictive..the war on drugs has failed miserably. You cannot prevent people from using marijuana or any drug for that matter. Slowly but surely the states will all legalize or decriminalize (if you choose) mj because it is a money maker.

Additionally, hemp is not marijuana. You don't (can't, wouldn't) smoke hemp. They are different varieties of the same plant. It doesn't work that way.That is another argument that is not factual. I don't think this is a back door way to legalize marijuana. I think people understand hemp is not marijuana. I can't really tell from your post if you do. said kindly again.

As far as the casual use....the biggest mis used drug(s) in this country is/are prescription drugs' mis used and/or sold. We have done a poor job of regulating their mis use.

The point being and this has been repeated on this forum many times; mj is being used for relief of symptoms of disease and it seems to work.

It is less harmful to the body than many of the RX drugs being prescribed to relieve the same symptoms. This fact is being presented by people with a disease who use mj to relieve symptoms. If it works for them it is a fact. I don't think I have the right to forbid them their relief from the disease symptoms of MS or any other chronic debiliatating disease.

These are facts. And I have to agree with Amy Katherine's post prior to this. She said it very well

QUOTE((I am afraid at this point if I tried to make an intelligent post I would just sound like a nut job but......

The reason MJ is and will remain illegal is because it is cheaper & more effective than man made drugs. If they decriminalized it & taxed it, I think many people would be more honest about using and benefits.

I do not think MJ is addictive in and of itself. Meth & Oxy are addictive, I believe that some people just have addictive tendancies (wheat thins). I have absolutely known people who were overindulgent, but there is always other factors causing the need for escape.

I have smoked here & there for YEARS, and I have never known a normal, well adjusted person who threw their life away behind MJ use, or who became open or addicted to real drugs.))Quote

I don't use it. But I do think it should be legalized. And I frankly don't care what someone does in their own home.

j
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Originally posted by justacowgirl View Post
          Well, (kindly spoken) you have presented no facts here that are substantiated that show that MJ is addictive.
          Ummmm, I think we're on the same side. Try reading my posts again.

Comment

Yes, a few hits before bed and it helps me sleep. And I don't wake up the next morning feeling like crap from some prescription sleep aid. I have a better mood and move a little better and most of all it relieves pain. It definitely helps me. Though I never heard it was a cure. For anything.

When I was younger (and never heard of ms), I smoked for kicks and giggles. I never did crack or heroin or whatever. I was not going there. That wasn't me.

I'm more addicted to almond butter than anything else. Take what you want, but leave my almond butter alone!

Comment

Here's my take on MJ:

It can decrease pain, but it doesn't always. Depends on the plant.
              It's not addictive, at least not physically. It can become an addiction though.
              It can reduce anxiety, but it can also increase it. Depends on the plant.
              Most people who claim that it helps them with a condition really just want to get high, and if you have MS, I think that is just fine. MS isn't going away anytime soon, so you might as well relax in the mean-time.*
              *Having said that, I quit smoking MJ. It makes me feel too depressed anymore.

Comment

My mom asked me this the other day
                Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
                UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

I have to agree with Nebbykoo. The better the quality, the greater the benefits. A little goes a long way, though it is hard not to indulge when it's right there, calling your name. And many people will use a medical condition as an excuse to get high. Personally, I'd rather see someone smoke, than drink, but that's my opinion, remember.

I do use, and think it is worth it's weight in gold for it's ability to help me to sleep. And I also enjoy it, but for me, I keep it to a minimum because too much is too much.

Comment

thanks for the reply, clearblue. It's a rarity to get a reply around here...

Comment

Actually, i DONT just want to get high. I really just want to relax and sleep.

I would rather my medical records didn't say "recreational
                      drug user" because I was completely honest with my Dr about my usage.

I would rather not give anyone a chance to look down their nose at me, like people who assume if its not for them then everyone else just wants to get "blotto".
                      DXd Fragile X premutation ~ 2004
                      DXd RRMS ~ Jan. 2009

Comment

I would love to try it now for my MS but can't due to my job. I think being a school bus driver, not an option. I would certainly fail the random, suprise drug tests we get picked for. Maybe when I retire LOL

Allison

Comment

Legislation for research

I think the most important thing to be done about the whole med marij./ effectiveness/ risk debate is to pass legislation that would loosen the chokehold the FDA has on marijuana research. Sheesh, some of the main MS meds (Ty) have frightening side effects that make mj look pretty safe. If we could be free to study marijuana, these debates would get cleared up and actual information could be gotten. Plus, some people would get blotto out of the deal (I was just dying to use that word, it's brilliant).

Comment

DID'T WORK

TRIED IT ONCE. WAS IN MY WHEELCHAIR AND WAVES OF PAIN SPREAD ACROSS MY LEGS ABOUT EVERY 10 MIN. DAUGHTER FINALLY HAD TO TAKE ME OUTDOORS AND GET FRESH AIR INTO MY LUNGS. DOC SAID EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT REACTION.

Comment

I smoke all the time, it helps me with a few different symptoms and it helps me where the Prescription drugs did not. It is a natural plant, therefore I will turn to it before some pill made in a lab somewhere and can do long term damage. Everyone has different opinions on it, but I would like to ask, is there anyone out there with MS that uses Alcohol or Nicotine to help with their symptoms..????? Prob not. I believe that everyone is different with it. If you smoke and it helps you with Spasms or anything else, if you smoke and it makes you a happier person and you now like different music then you once did, or helps you study better. Whats the prob...I can tell you one thing, I never smoke and want to beat someone up, or drive crazy as hell, or beat my wife... That's my opinion on it..

Comment

I live in New Hampshire and using mj for chronic illness makes you a criminal. I have BAD leg burning. I hate the anxiety I deal with.I have been taking imipramine (tofranil) for 25 yrs for these symptoms and others. I "KNOW" mj helps those symptoms better than my pills~if I used mj..
                                -Medical Marijuana For New Hampshire-

Comment

Working...
                                X