White cell count out of range...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White cell count out of range...

Well, I have stopped Tecfidera since Shingles (2 weeks) but got my 6 month blood (and urine!?) test. As expected, my WBC dropped. It went from 4.44 pre-Tecfidera to 3.5. I have no idea what that means, except that anything in bold type and "out of range" on my lab report is reason for concern..

I will talk to my neuro in a week or so. We will have a chat if this is Tec, Shingles, or both and what the average Tec patient has been experiencing WBC-wise.
    Tawanda

Tawanda, I thought you were going off the tec? I think a wbc drop is pretty much expected, and yours doesn't seem very low (in that I have read about people's being really low and them staying on the drug).

Comment

Originally posted by HobbitHead View Post
      Tawanda, I thought you were going off the tec? I think a wbc drop is pretty much expected, and yours doesn't seem very low (in that I have read about people's being really low and them staying on the drug).
      Yes, pretty sure this is a done deal. I was originally going to finish my supply for financial reasons and then reevaluate and probably return to Avonex.

However, I already stopped Tec due to Shingles. Since I already had the blood work script, and was curious what it looked like, I went ahead and got my blood drawn. I figured people on TEC would have lowered WBC, but I didn't know I would go down enough to be out of the normal range altogether (and wondering if that was the norm). I wonder if the low WBC led to the Shingles virus.

I did not have any issue but flushing on the smaller dosage of TEC I started out with, and have heard of some people just stepping their dose back down. I am wondering if that would even help combat M.S. (or why else do you up your dosage?) so that would probably not be an option. So yeah, I am still not ready for any kind of treatment at the moment, but when I am, it is doubtful I would take Tec in any dosage. The only reason to even look back is that it really cleared my psoriasis and I was loving that!

I just wanted to report my WBC numbers since Tec. I would like to hear about others after they get their 6 month follow-ups. Been kind of radio silent here on this topic. Maybe it's too early for a lot of posters. I got on this drug almost as fast as it came out due to the psoriasis I suffer from.
      Tawanda

Comment

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ht=blood+count

Comment

Thanks for showing me that thread. Now I just need to find out how long it takes to get this stuff completely out of my system and re-start my tried and true Avonex injections .

Tecfidera was a miserable failure for me (..except for clearing up my psoriasis-that was great!), but good luck to the rest of you "Tec"ies!
          Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
            Well, I have stopped Tecfidera since Shingles (2 weeks) but got my 6 month blood (and urine!?) test. As expected, my WBC dropped. It went from 4.44 pre-Tecfidera to 3.5. I have no idea what that means, except that anything in bold type and "out of range" on my lab report is reason for concern..

I will talk to my neuro in a week or so. We will have a chat if this is Tec, Shingles, or both and what the average Tec patient has been experiencing WBC-wise.
            Tawanda,

I had my 6 month CBC done and all was still within normal range. Some counts were lower, but all within normal.

Maybe it is a result of the shingles and the Tec.

I hope you're starting to feel somewhat back to normal after your bout with shingles. Good luck with Avonex!

Bree

Comment

My former neuro told me it is out of your system well before the next dose--you aspirate it out. So, in theory, it is already gone. Sorry it was a bust for you!

Comment

Working...
              X