Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frustrated with injections

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum (any MS forum, really), but seeing the support in many threads I've glanced through, I thought I might come here and see if you guys have any advice for me.

So I've been diagnosed with MS last year and have been taking the powder form injection since then, mostly without problems. I alternate legs like suggested and even on the suggested "triangle" I alternate between spots, and it has been going well. However, two weeks past it took me not 5-10 minutes to get the courage to inject myself, but 50 minutes. I held the syringe in my hand so long, my hand was shaking really badly. The injection on the right leg a week later went without incident. However this week's injection, to the left leg again, wasn't nice either. It didn't take 50 minutes, but when I took out the syringe blood splashed out rather dramatically (I had a minor freakout, even though it subsided quickly after tending to the wound).

I don't know why this suddenly started, but for some reason I've become reluctant to inject myself. I feel silly and stupid, having done the same thing without any problems for months, especially KNOWING that when done right, it doesn't even hurt. I don't want to stop Avonex, because till now I haven't had any bad reactions, safe from some flu-like symptoms the day after. I am considering taking the pen... What would you advice? Or have any of you made similar experiences?

If blood splashed out like you described, then you hit a vein. No big deal, but yeah, sometimes it can create a mess. In those cases, you apply pressure for a minute and it'll stop with no problems.

If you're getting that freaked out about injecting yourself, I would highly recommend the pen. I only did the regular injections during the first month for titration, and I had the same problem, only I wasn't about to give myself enough time to get used to it. Once I switched to the pen, it was smooth sailing. It's much nicer just pressing a button so you don't have to jab a long needle into your leg all on your own.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

We all have these periods of difficulty injecting. A thinner shorter needle made a world of difference for me, 25 gauge 1". If you can use the autoinjector pen for your powder type Avonex do go ahead. Just not sure if that is only for the prefilled shots. Let us know if you decide to go ahead.

Hoping this is just a temporary glitch for you. The above post is correct, I hit a vein a few times a year. Just have to have that gauze pad ready in case.

A reward is always in order for injecting. Chocolate works for me.

Comment

Thank you for your kind replies! It always helps to know, that you're not the only one.

Yeah, the pen is only for the prefilled shots (so far), which is why I didn't use it from the start. I wanted to have more liberty in terms of storage, which is why I chose the powder form. I am seriously considering the pen and hope that once I switch to it, it'll be smooth sailing for me too

As for the reward, I do that too!! I have my favorite sweets lying around and will indulge in them after the shot; always makes me feel better

I am curious: have any of you had problems with the pen? I have seen some posts where people seem to struggle with the button lately...But either way, until my two month's worth of syringes are out, I can consider switching to the pen (for the time being I'm most likely letting a relative give me the shot, so I at least don't have to do it myself).

Comment

I like the reward part. Try icing your leg. I do that when I get shot anxiety. I don't feel anything.

I don't know what your storage issues are, but if it's a matter of some possible, yet not very likely event, I'd get some pens and have the powder as a backup. Here's how you do it:

Get yourself set up with acredo pharmacy (that's from Biogen, the manufacturer). Tell them you're switching from the power to the pen and you want to have one month's supply of powder on hand for a year (or however long it keeps). Get your batch from Acredo so you have an extra one and then change your insurance.

As an alternative, you can keep your current situation and write Biogen to send you a month's supply of pens to try out. They won't charge you and you can be open with them about what you're doing.

Good Luck.

Comment

Since you have several shots to go before you might switch to the pen, why not try a more comfortable needle, it may be all you need. I think the bigger needles cause too much trauma to my skin and confidence!

All you need to is call your doc for a prescription of smaller thinner needles. I use 1" 25 gauge. The needles that come with my prefilled shots are 1 1/4" 23 gauge. The smaller the gauge number the thicker the needle (confusing).

Comment

I've been using the pen for over a year and I've never had any issues with it. It is very easy to assemble (or I guess I should say put the needle on), although I thought I was going to mess it up the first time, so I watched a youtube video first. That helped me a ton.

I don't know what kinds of issues people have had when they say they're having trouble pushing the button, but that has never happened to me. If you are pushing the pen down on your leg hard enough, the button should very easily release.

I guess everyone is different, but for myself, I noticed that it did hurt more than I was comfortable with when I used the prefilled syringes, although I could definitely see that being anxiety too. The first time I used the pen, I was amazed at how smoothly it went. I felt no pain. I usually feel some, but it's not bad. I know the instructions for the syringes say to inject over 10 seconds and I found that it burned really badly and I couldn't stand it. With the pen, it all shoots in there at once, so there's that quick little spurt of pain and then it's done.
              Diagnosed 1/4/13
              Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Today I had a talk with my Neuro, since I had to apply for the insurance payment. He offered me to change to one of the oral meds (Gylenia or Aubagio), but since it's really going well with Avonex I just asked for a change to the pen - for now.

@BigA, thanks for the tip with the ice! I will keep it in mind I usually use cold patches for after the shot, as it helps considerably with swelling and the lingering pain, but I hadn't considered cooling off the area before the shot...

Well, right now I've still got two months worth of powder form. Once I get the approval for the pen (should be soon) I can leave one box with a month worth of syringes for just in case. I'm not sure if I could just order a powdered form if I'm on the pen - I'm in another country - though I suppose it should be possible, in any event.

@Justsayyes, I'm already using the smaller needles. The nurse looked at my thighs (and I was worried, because I'm chubby) but said it was ok for me to take the smaller needles, so I could start with them right away it is a psychological boost for sure, since whenever I look at the long needle I can always tell myself that I have a smaller one~

@lstrl, thanks for letting me know! Makes me feel better already! Yeah, when injecting I usually do it slowly, so it's nice to hear that it'll be done in one go, rather than having the needle stuck in there for whatever amount of time you need to get everything into your body.

Comment

Glad you got that all sorted out!

Comment

Just a little update...

Last week I got my first injection with the pen (with the supervision of a nurse) and it worked wonderfully. Today was the first time I had to administer it on my own and it's just a whole new world!! I'm in love with that pen. It's super fast, it doesn't really hurt and I don't feel it (it's so fast I even question whether I got something into my system at all).

@Justsayyes: Now I get what you meant with the needle. I used to have one about an inch long and I was under the misconception that the pen used the same one, just "hidden", so to speak. It does make a world of a difference, IMHO that it is so short. I'm not one to be queasy when needles are involved, but just thinking about getting that needle into my leg wrong made me panic when I used the powder-form needle.

It seems the frustration with the injections has found an end for now

Comment

Glad to hear the pen is the answer for you!

Comment

excellent!

Comment

Working...
                        X