Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else have hip pain? Could it be steroids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else have hip pain? Could it be steroids?

Hi, I've had MS for 9 years and have probably taken 5-6 treatments of high dose (1000mg for 3 days) courses of steroids over this time. I have read about osteonecrosis. but am not really familiar with the symptoms of this side effect. Can anyone offer any insight into what osteonecrosis is like and how it feels? My hip has been bothering me for the last 6 months and I've been concerned about it but all of the doctors say "go to pt." I don't think pt can solve this for me.
    Thanks for your help!

There are days I have severe hip pain, then there is the pain that just never goes away. I have had several injections and they used to help, but the last 2 I have had haven't helped a bit, doc says it is bursitis because nothing showed on my xray. Good luck to you. I know how painful this can be.
    Anita

Comment

I know someone who has osteonecrosis resulting from overuse of IV steroids. He describes the pain as having shards of glass in his hips.

For chronic pain that isn't likely to improve and is localized to one (or more) specific area(s), some neuros prescribe Fentanyl patches.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dru...ation/DR601815

This is heavy-duty medication, but used properly it can provide long-lasting relief.

All of that having been said, there are other conditions that could be causing your hip pain. Your doctors should be pursuing a diagnosis and not just saying "go to PT"...and they should be providing you with effective pain relief, IMHO.

Comment

Hip Pain

I've had hip pain for years (well before I was diagnosed six years ago). It started in my left hip - today it is sometimes only in my left but also in both hips. It feels like someone is pulling my leg out of the hip socket. I haven't been on IV steroids since 2006 - that year I was on them twice. I also have tingling in both legs and feet. Left leg is much weaker than the right.

Comment

Osteonecrosis is bone death resulting from lack of blood flow. It can be caused by long term steroid use, although I'm not sure what the definition of long term use is. Here are some symptoms.
          • Pain in the joint that may increase over time, and will become very severe if the bone collapses
          • Pain that occurs even at rest
          • Limited range of motion
          • Groin pain, if the hip joint is affected
          • Limping, if the condition occurs in or below the hips

These can also be symptoms of osteoarthritis, which is the loss of cartilage in joints. X-rays and MRI's can usually pinpoint the cause.

In my case it was osteoarthritis, before my MS DX and before any IVSM treatments. A new left hip fixed the problem right up
          At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

Working...
          X