No announcement yet.

Copaxone question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never had an IPIR in the 3 years I was on Copaxone but I read many accounts by people who had had them on this board.

Shared Solutions makes an IPIR sound manageable with instructions to stay upright, try not to panic, and after about 20 minutes it will go away, etc., but I've read some accounts like yours.

I don't understand this "So what if you pass out?" attitude. You'll eventually come back to consciousness but you might also be badly injured in your fall.

I'd like to know how this turns out. What did your neuro say? Will you be staying on Copaxone? Hope you'll let people here know.
    MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

Update

I am back on copax. I still have immediate reactions but only when I inject on the right side of my body. So I was told to no longer inject the right side, that they know its limiting my shot locations but sometimes you weaker side or the side that gives you the most problems you can get this reaction.

I dont remember who asked if I inject standing up, NEVER. I always shoot sitting down. I do it manually because the autoject scares me, its the snapping sound that scares me.

Comment

I had been taking Copaxone for about 5 months with only the "normal" site reactions. Then one night about 15 seconds after I had my shot, I thought I was going to die. Seriously. I couldn't breathe, my face was swelling and I thought it might explode. It was horrible. I called my husband and his first reaction was "what's wrong with your face?" (apparently, my face really did swell up).

I couldn't stand, I couldn't sit. I was completely freaked out. I called shared solutions, they told me to stop taking it and call my neurologist in the morning.

I called my neuro in the morning and he said to keep taking it. I might have another reaction like that, or I might never have one again (oh goodie). So far, I have not had another reaction like that, and I certainly hope not to repeat it.

I am sorry that you are having trouble with the Copaxone, and hope that you do not pass out anymore. I must admit that your post has made me re-think a few things. I travel A LOT for work, and never thought anything of being alone in a hotel room when I give myself the shot. I am thinking about having someone on the phone when I give my shot to make sure all goes well.

Good luck!!!

Comment

pjsSissy,

I find it so interesting that you're only going to inject one side. Maybe over time, your body will adjust more and going to into left side territory will be OK.

Speaking of injection areas, one can inject in areas that aren't officially approved by Shared Solutions.

The hamstring area is one I use sometimes. I inject the inner thigh, too.

Basically, almost any are that has enough fatty tissue and has large muscle is alright to inject.

The arms I skip altogether. It hurts days after enough that lifting my arms is painful.
          Injecting in my legs hurts, but not so much I don't walk.

At first, my body reacted more to the shots.
          It literally took months, but the injection areas have stopped bothering me so much.

Time helps with Copaxone.

Have you considered not using the autoject?
          Injecting manually seems awful, but it is much easier on the body and doesn't have that snap the autoject does.

Maybe you'd consider that? Manually injecting scared me a lot in the beginning, but it's very easy to do. It's nice to have control.

Sometimes the needle doesn't go in all the way (more muscular areas), sometimes it does (more fatty areas).
          I kind of let my body guide me. Usually an injection lasts just under 10 seconds.

Not allowing Copaxone to get onto the skin helps lessen site reactions. Wipe away any that might get on the skin. It's rare, but on occasion it does happen.

If this helps any, think about how Copaxone has shown to actually help repair nerves.
          This recent article gave me encouragement as a long time Copaxone user (over 10 years):

http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/glob...12436&fid=1725

Good luck and remember each injection is helping you fight the disease.

Comment

Thanx Twistered. I only do my shots manually, I never use the autoject. I dont use my arms either. Hurts too much and with the way my hands and arms are with the tremors, reaching my arms is a no go anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X