Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Treatment Plan

Hi All.
    My name is Ken, 32 years old, diagnosed in May 2012, Copaxone, LDN, Swank Diet (sort of). I lost most of the feeling in my legs at x-mas 2011. I was referred to a neurologist after a trip to the ER and he said don't worry about it sometimes you can get a cold and it will accidentally attack myelin.

In April the day my second son was born I lost the use of my right hand and arm and went back to neuro who sent me for an MRI. The MRI showed 8 lesions on my brain and one on my spinal cord. He gave me a dose of oral prednisone (which did nothing) and referred me to the MS clinic.

The clinic was a long wait and that summer was rough. I lost use of my left arm, left side of my face and had a hit of optic neuritis in both eyes. Thankfully i had recovered from all relapses 90 to 100%. I started copaxone in September.

I was good until April at which time i had my scariest relapse that I still have lasting damage from. It was optic neuritis that took away most of my vision while i was on a business trip. I did two different sessions of IV steroids before i regained vision in my left eye. My right is still an issue but seems to either be getting slowly better or i am getting used to the reduced vision.

It was at this point i got on the Swank Diet which i have to highly recommend to all. It has strong evidence to support it but more than anything it gives you a sense of taking control of your illness. Also i started a rigorous gym plan which has the same benefits.

I am not one to take anything lying down and have a family to support so i have doubled my efforts to keep as healthy as possible. If i cannot control the disease at least i can make my body as healthy as possible to recover from anything i am dealt. I have to give a shout out to knuckle who's intelligent and well researched posts led me to this board.

Below is my Eating and Training plans if anyone has questions or suggestions regarding Swank or any other part of my treatment please comment. I am eager for more discussion about this illness and how we can combat it.

Cheers,
    Ken

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ps8d4976bd.jpg

I have cut out all red meat, including pork, egg yolks, and dairy except the whey in my protein shakes. Whey has an extremely powerful antioxidant called Glutathione sp? That has been shown to help people with MS. I eat fish several times a week but cannot stand the taste of tofu.

The shakes are made of Protein (soy or Whey) Waxy Maize (a carbohydrate) vege greens, and phytoberry. I am trying to find a source for Malic Acid and Fumaric Acid so I can add them as well. I plan to take 2000mg of Malic and 400mg of Fumaric divided in the 4 shakes

Comment

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ps4cbc98c5.jpg

The training plan is known as progressive overload and allows you to get a decent workout in under 45mins. The idea is to continually increase weight to the point of total muscle failure. You start with a heavy weight and do 12 reps that you could do 15 with. Then increase weight and lower reps taking a 60 minute rest between each set. By the 6 rep mark it should be a struggle. Then you reduce the weight to what you just did 8 reps with and push for 12 which is extremely difficult and maybe impossible, then with no rest you switch the exercise to another for the same muscle group and push for 12 reps. By the end your muscle group should be completely exhausted. Which is the key to the workout. Taking your muscles to failure forces then to super compensate when they heal and build strength.

Comment

Kudos to you, Ken. I am whooly with you and your fighting spirit. If you can work out with free weights and such, that's great. But many of us have been dealt some nasty deficits in some way or another. That, kind of, precludes us from working out to exhaustion. Keep fighting. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Kronk View Post
          Hi All.

I am not one to take anything lying down and have a family to support so i have doubled my efforts to keep as healthy as possible. If i cannot control the disease at least i can make my body as healthy as possible to recover from anything i am dealt. I have to give a shout out to knuckle who's intelligent and well researched posts led me to this board.
          I love your attitude. I am 31 and was diagnosed on May 1. I am a kindergarten teacher and I don't plan on stopping anytime in the next 20+ years. I am taking Tecfidera which will lower my immune system, so this is going to be a challenge while teaching kindergarten, but I am still going to do it. I swim in the summer, do Zumba and walking in the rest of the year.

I am not letting MS define who I am, it is just something I have, like brown hair or blue eyes. It is refreshing to hear from somebody else who has the same attitude!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarahsue View Post
            I love your attitude. I am 31 and was diagnosed on May 1. I am a kindergarten teacher and I don't plan on stopping anytime in the next 20+ years. I am taking Tecfidera which will lower my immune system, so this is going to be a challenge while teaching kindergarten, but I am still going to do it. I swim in the summer, do Zumba and walking in the rest of the year.

I am not letting MS define who I am, it is just something I have, like brown hair or blue eyes. It is refreshing to hear from somebody else who has the same attitude!
            Aaaaand here's where someone comes in and grumps up the post.

Both OP and Sarashue seem to think that being diagnosed for less than a year makes them experts. It doesn't.

I'm in my 30's and very optimistic. I was also DX'd a decade ago, have had symptoms since my teens and can barely walk now.

But hey, if you want to tell yourself it's my attitude and diet that made me this way then knock yourself out. Just know that it's an offensive assumption.

All that said, good luck.
            Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Hi Aitch, no disrespect intended to you at all. I understand this is a very individual disease and affects everyone differently, regardless of attitude.

I am trying to keep my body in as perfect condition as possible to repair the damage caused by the inevitable relapses. I understand that they will come...

Everything i am doing and taking for supplements has some scientific fact behind them. Exercise is perhaps the single most effective therapy we have against the disease so whatever your condition is i would encourage you to push yourself. Its uncomfortable but even in the worst condition the body will try to adapt to increased stress. I have been knocked down by fatigue, but pushed through, and fully believe that i recovered faster because I did. Just an idea, could very well be wrong, but no disrespect intended to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronk View Post
                Hi Aitch, no disrespect intended to you at all. I understand this is a very individual disease and affects everyone differently, regardless of attitude.

I am trying to keep my body in as perfect condition as possible to repair the damage caused by the inevitable relapses. I understand that they will come...

Everything i am doing and taking for supplements has some scientific fact behind them. Exercise is perhaps the single most effective therapy we have against the disease so whatever your condition is i would encourage you to push yourself. Its uncomfortable but even in the worst condition the body will try to adapt to increased stress. I have been knocked down by fatigue, but pushed through, and fully believe that i recovered faster because I did. Just an idea, could very well be wrong, but no disrespect intended to anyone.
                First of all, I apologize for my harsh response. My hackles were raised. But you're definitely correct that we need to take care of ourselves.
                Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Working...
                X