Wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow

I cannot believe I am here. I am 49 years old and was just diagnosed a year ago. I have never had any symptoms until on vacation with my husband when I lost all vision in my left eye. It was an easy and shocking diagnosis. I have recovered from the Optic Neuritis with no relapses for over 1 year. I do now have a bit of tingling and stabbing pain occasionally. I decided to not start treatment at this time. I am not sure if that is the right decision or not..still contemplating. I have a wonderful supportive husband, but have not brought myself to worrying my adult children and other family members. Looking back into my thirties there were episodes of unexplained dizziness and tingling in my right thumb. My worries are that there is so much unknown of what the future will bring!

Welcome! This is a great place for info and support!
    dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Hi Shell Ann, and welcome to MS World! We are happy you joined! A fast diagnosis can sometimes be a stunner. Well, you have made it through this first year and good for you! Deciding on whether or not to take medication is a very personal decision. It can help delay disability in some cases, can help prevent relapses, and can give you the feeling that you are doing something to fight the disease. If you are having no relapses though, and fight the disease naturally, you may be doing fine without it. So that is what I mean by a personal decision.

Have a look around at our message boards, ask and answer some questions, check out our chat rooms, and just make yourself at home!

Nice to meet you!

Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Hi ShellAnn

Welcome! You've joined us in the world of 'who-knows
        -what-will-happen?'.. like life with a twist...I hope you will continue with few sxs...

Take care
        Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the support and kind wishes!

Comment

Originally posted by ShellAnn View Post
            I cannot believe I am here....I have a wonderful supportive husband, but have not brought myself to worrying my adult children and other family members. Looking back into my thirties there were episodes of unexplained dizziness and tingling in my right thumb. My worries are that there is so much unknown of what the future will bring!
            Welcome ShellAnn,

Glad you have recovered from the ON and relapse free for a year.

I understand not wanting to tell your adult children. My children are 23, 21 & 18. I just cannot bring myself to tell them. I know I will have to -- for many reasons --- but I just can't do it right now.

I'm sure you'll know when the time is right to share your dx.

I wish you continued minor symptoms and no major relapses.

Take care,
            Bree

Comment

Hi ShellAnn, and welcome to MSWorld, though of course we're sorry for the reason you are here, being diagnosed with MS.

I started my MS journey with optic neuritis back in 1975 so I didn't have to make a decision about whether to go on treatment - there wasn't any! I had occasional relapses off and on but always recovered fully until 2002, which is when I began Copaxone. At the same time, the MRI diagnosed a brain tumor that required surgery so my husband and I had to tell the kids about it all. They were in high school and college then.

My neurologist has said that I have "benign MS" - I have has Relapsing Remitting MS for more than 15 years and have no significant disability, and it has been several years since my last relapse. Since that could change at any time, I do take a DMD (Gilenya now), but I spent many years on no therapy at all.

As others have said, it's a personal decision.

Comment

I have f/u MRI's this fall and I am thinking the results may lead me to a decision about meds. If there is no progression or more lesions I will decline.

I get sad everytime I think about telling my kids. I have to wait until I can have the conversation without breaking down. I am sad for them more than myself...but I need to keep the conversation positive and I cannot do that right now

Comment

[QUOTE=ShellAnn;1419410]I have f/u MRI's this fall and I am thinking the results may lead me to a decision about meds. If there is no progression or more lesions I will decline.

I was dx w/ RRMS in 95 after a case of ON I was 21. No relapses until 99 when I started to fall when I was standing at work. That was the same year I started Copaxone.

I have a slow progression and now walk like I'm drunk and my legs heavy/weak and tingling in legs/feet x5 yrs. I feel somewhat numb to in legs but can feel them.

I'm now on Gilenya for 19 months, a new pill. I'm so glad for no shots. I know that taking meds is personal choice but MS is progressive, whether slow or fast.

Tasha RRMS 1995

Comment

Working...
                  X